or seasoned expert,
writers converge
in friendly concert.

Collaboration
reduces the grind,
engaging the spirit
of one’s fictive mind.

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Cathy_*
post Mar 9 07, 08:02
Post #2

Hi John,

I like your description of MM! It's nice to know you can post a poem and receive helpful and friendly advice without someone getting nasty about it. And you don't have to worry about someone biting your head off because of the suggestions you might have made. You've painted the atmosphere around here quite well, not to mention that you've also described writer's block quite well too! *smiles*

A few suggestions... take or toss!
Cathy

You’re in a funk
creativity['s] waned,
vision [is] clouded,
emotions drained.

Should there be punctuation after 'funk'? Semi-colon or colon? I very seldom suggest adding words like 'is' but this felt a bit choppy to me. *smiles*

Writings a chore,
words are stale,
[misfit]{lost their} rhyme,
meter is frail.

This is where I'm at right now! LOL I can't seem to write a thing! And when I do it comes out cliche and old and downright stupid!

Latest poem
slightly jagged,
roughly paced
or [slightly]{a bit} ragged.

A helping hand
is always near,
no repercussions
to ever fear.

Passionate peers
eagerly encourage{,}
efforts to hone
your lyrical message.

Sincere comments
rarely terse, Maybe () around 'rarely terse' instead of a comma?
polish flaws,
smooth your verse.

Whether novice
or seasoned expert,
writers converge
in friendly concert.

Mosaic Musings
reduces the grind,
engaging the spirit
of one’s fictive mind.

LOL I had to look up 'fictive'! It works perfectly here! Lovely way to describe what MM is all about. Good going John!

JLY
post Mar 9 07, 08:10
Post #3

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Cathy,
Thanks. I actually started to write a poem about the challenges we writers face and then decided to slant it towards the warm environment we have here at MM.

I wrote this one so fast....took only about 11 minutes and I knew I probably overlooked some places where punctuation is needed; you certainly helped in this regard.

I am hopeful that others will see the message as you did.

Again, thanks for stopping by.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 17 07, 15:57
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi John. aragorn.gif

I really enjoyed this one. It impresses me as a sincere and encouraging write from the heart. arwen.gif With the support of others, one can overcome that 'funk' we all go through. This is very uplifting - thanks!

Cheers
~Cleo galadriel.gif

[add] {delete} (comment)

You’re in a funk
creativity waned,
vision clouded,
emotions drained.
Great opening – you’ve caught my attention!

Writing[‘]s a chore,
words are stale,
{lost their} [evading] rhyme,
meter is frail.

[My} [l]atest poem[‘s]
slightly jagged,
roughly paced[,]
{or} a bit ragged.

A helping hand
is always near,
no repercussions
{to} ever [to] fear. (for meter)

Passionate peers
eagerly {encourage} [promote], (since ‘message’ is a near rhyme)
efforts to hone
your lyrical {message} [note].

Sincere comments
rarely [are] terse,
polish[ing] flaws,
[to] smooth your verse.

Whether [a] novice
or seasoned expert,
writers converge
in friendly concert.
Cool! Added the ‘a’ in L1 for meter.

Collaboration
reduces the grind,
engaging the spirit
of one’s fictive mind.
Excellent closing John!

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Mar 17 07, 17:19
Post #5

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Lori,
thank you. This was an easy write...just seemed to flow off the tonque. I tried to keep this very minimal and was hoping for some feedback to make it tight. You helped me improve the rhythm - much appreciated.

JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Mar 25 07, 07:36
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi John,

I have been trying to get a few moments to come in and tell you that I felt really good about this poem. I guess misery does want company! LOL The title is a good one, as I find myself not only assosciating to the idea of writer's block, and feeling my words dry like cardboard, but the times I finally do come up with a poem albeit, still raw, it is stirred by those collaborations of challenges, contests and competititions. THe idea's of others (like seeds grow into my own harvest of poetry) wink.gif

I see your revision has really smoothed a few stumbles in the original, I have just a few comments to come, either way, I think your hook held well.,

Best Wishes and Big Hugs, Liz

COLLABORATION

You’re in a funk
creativity’s waned,
vision is clouded,
emotions drained.

I feel like this all the time now. Perhaps that is what I need to do, write the poetry about it and let it come!

Writing’s a chore,
words are stale,
lost their rhyme,
meter is frail.

Latest poem’s
slightly jagged,
roughly paced
a bit ragged.

A helping hand
is always near,
no repercussions
ever to fear.

Perhaps L4, switching 'to ever fear.' sounds natural to my ear.

Passionate peers
eagerly promote
efforts to hone
your lyrical note.

I like this stanza so much. There is a steady rhythm through out, the words blend and bed down well with each other. I especially liked the meaning, it sort feels like it is placed to show when the song in the narrator's poetry begins.. Very nice and not a nit.

Sincere comments
rarely are terse,
polishing flaws,
to smooth your verse.

L2, either 'rarely terse' or are rarely terse'

Whether a novice
or seasoned expert,
writers converge
in friendly concert.

nice. Good offering of many of the end rhymes are fresh and original, not overly used .

Collaboration
reduces the grind,
engaging the spirit
of one’s fictive mind.

Nice. Perhaps in the final line. "of a fictive mind."

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Mar 26 07, 05:48
Post #7

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Liz,
Many thanks. The few changes you suggested just might be the finishing touches to this poem. I am glad you enjoyed the theme, I think it is one that is universally shared from time to time by everyone here at MM.
The first stanza came to me while driving to work one day and the other ones seem to flow rather quickly soon after.
I will put a final brushstroke on this one. Thanks for your assistance.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Kathy_*
post Mar 26 07, 07:00
Post #8

JLY, i think the idea of this poem is great. It's wonderfully uplifting and reminds us how important it is to be gentle, and to really try to help each other.

You said:

I tried to keep this very minimal and was hoping for some feedback to make it tight. You helped me improve the rhythm - much appreciated.

Mate, you wrote this quickly, and it isn't metrical, so trying to fix that is going to destroy the spirit of it, in my view. It's an accent pattern tather than a metrical one, and I reckon you should keep it that way. The rhythms are more like those of nursery rhymes than of metrics, and there's nothing wrong with that; a lot of songs are written this way, and goodness knows that said nursery rhymes are beloved to us all. They have stood the test of time, too.

Metric is NOT the only metre.

Is that helpful, or do you want to scruff me? (Please don't scruff me.)

Guest_Kathy_*
post Mar 26 07, 07:09
Post #9

Further to the above, perhaps this will clarify my message. (You probably know about it anyway, in which case, my apologies)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accentual_verse

http://www.fact-index.com/s/sp/sprung_rhythm.html

http://www.britannica.com/eb/topic-486139/quantitative-verse

Yours in the spirit of helpfulness, Kathy

JLY
post Mar 26 07, 07:26
Post #10

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Kathy,
I welcome all comments as they often put me in a better place. Your analysis is most helpful and I appreciate the time you have taken to offer me some food for thought.

When I wrote this, it seemed to have an easy beat to it, maybe not metrically perfect, but it seemed to run pretty smoothly. Meter is not my claim to fame, so I am open-minded about learning more about the substance of this device.

Thanks,
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Kathy_*
post Mar 26 07, 07:32
Post #11

Yep, that's wot I thought. In accented measure, it does have an easy beat. There are a few extra bits, but that's ok too.

Anyway, see what you think.

K

Guest_Kathy_*
post Mar 26 07, 07:36
Post #12

Here, John, read this. It's one of my favourites, and very famous. I read it accentually:

http://www.bartleby.com/103/86.html

Eisa
post Mar 28 07, 04:38
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Hi John

This is great -- I've read lots of poems about writing and I think this is one of the best! I can apply every word. Your revision is spot on in my opinion and this just sums it all up.

Collaboration
reduces the grind,
engaging the spirit
of one’s fictive mind.

I agree with what I think Kathy is saying. You don't have to write in meter to have agood poem. I feel the smooth flow of words is sometimes the important thing -- and you have that here.

I really enjoyed the read.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Mar 28 07, 14:01
Post #14

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Snow,
Thank you. I am flattered by your repsonse: "I think this is one of the best! I can apply every word. "

This was a fun poem to write and it was one that was very effortless...my muse was full force that day.

Thanks again.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 11:39

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: