Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mosaic Musings Award Graphics, Fifteen to behold...
Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 31 03, 13:56
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi all. wave.gif

There are FIFTEEN different awards that can be obtained at our Mosaic (excluding Odin's Opposition).

The first is the Chaos Award that is displayed in our winners signatures and the award itself with the winners announcement. Pandora's Chaos is a monthly challenge write where specific parameters are laid out with a set deadline. Once each member has participated in a minimum of THREE chaotic challenges, you will be awarded with CHAOS. Winners posted in the Great Wall of Fame forum.

Chaos Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The second is the Choice Award that is displayed in our winners signatures and the award itself with their tile. Member Choice is a monthly voting process where the members of MM nominate tiles from the poetry, prose and challenge forums. The members then choose the winning tile by polling vote. Winners posted in the Valley of the Kings forum.

Choice Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The third is the Crown Jewels Award that is used to display our 'Perfection of Form' award located in the 'Valley of the Kings' forum that is displayed in our winners signatures and the award itself with their tile. Crown Jewel Awards can be nominated by any member of MM at any time. This award is granted to those tiles that best demonstrate perfection of form with a powerful punch ~ two great combinations!

Crown Jewels Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The fourth is the Faery Award that is granted for random awards for tiles that best capture our muses that is displayed in our winners signatures and the award itself with their tile.

Faery Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The fifth is the Wizard Award granted to those tiles which have achieved a minimum of 25 replies. Winners posted in the Laureate's Legion forum. It is also displayed in our winners signatures and the award itself with their tile.

Wizard Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The sixth is the MMHC Award given to the annual holiday classic winning entry by nominations of the staff (at least two per finalist entry to qualify) and then chosen by the Sollars family (who contribute the cash prize) that is displayed in our winners signatures and the award itself with their tile.

MMHC Winner

The seventh is the COM Award given to the monthly winner designated as Critiquer of the Month that is displayed in our winners signatures and the award itself with their tile. This award is used for member CRITIQUER of the Month (beginning with JAN 2005). Any member can nominate another that they feel best represents the designation of COM. Each month, members can post in their nominee with at least two examples of a crit given (name of thread and forum please). At the end of the month, we will do a poll and members can select the winner.

Laurel Wreath (COM) Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

This eighth award The Eye of Horus is used for our FLASH JAM member challenges. Participate in 5 flash sessions and receive this award that is displayed in our winner's signatures.

Eye of Horus Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The ninth award, the Greek Urn was used for the Moderator Choice award up until we began competing in the IBPC in January, 2007. Now the award is used for IBPC Winners (any placement in the monthly competition) and will posted in the IBPC forum. The award is displayed in our winners signatures as well as the winning tiles.

Greek Urn Award (IBPC Winner)

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

Join in and critique to receive any or all of our FOUR workshopping awards below - effective June 1 2005!

The tenth award, the Goblet is used to recognize "new topics posted" in our R&M crit forum, Herme's Homiles. Post 10 new topics for critique in Herme's Homilies - our fixed form, R & M poetry crit forum and receive the Goblet award. There is no time limit.

Goblet Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The eleventh award, the Knight is used to recognize "new topics posted" in our Free Verse crit forum, Seren's Synapse. Post 10 new topics for critique in Seren's Synapse - our free verse poetry crit forum and receive the Knight award. There is no time limit.

Knight Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The twelth award, the Celtic Dragon is used to recognize "new topics posted" in our Short Prose crit forum, Stonehenge. Post 5 new topics for critique in Stonehenge - our short prose crit forum and receive the Celtic Dragon award. There is no time limit.

Celtic Dragon Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The thirteenth award, the Celtic Knot is used to recognize "new topics posted" in our Chapters crit forum, Loch Ness. Post 3 new topics for critique in Loch Ness - our chapters crit forum and receive the Celtic Knot award. There is no time limit.

Celtic Knot Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The fourteenth award is the IBPC Nomination. This award is added to the actual threads nominated for the monthly IBPC competition to represent MM. The nominations are also posted in the IBPC forum.

The fifteenth (and newest) award is the Dream Award.
This award is to recognize "new topics posted" in our Short Forms forum, Shogun's Psalms. Post 10 new topics for critique in Shogun's Psalms - and receive the Dream award. There is no time limit.

Odin's Opposition Awards

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

Odin's Opposition Awards

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

Odin's Opposition Awards

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

Odin's Opposition Awards

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

Perhaps you'll receive one of these awards by expressing your intellection and letting your imagination soar?

Best of luck all!
Mosaic Musings Staff  knight.gif  Pharoah.gif  Viking.gif  troy.gif princess.gif   vic.gif cali.gif  tut.gif knight.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
AMETHYST
post Feb 15 05, 18:49
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Everyone! wink.gif

I am really not too sure of what are the requirements for each of these differing awards, but I am so completely awed by them. Yes, I think that worthy posts should be given such awards. And my goodness, some of these steal my breath!

I have to find the thread in which describes each one and when it is given...before I offer my thoughts but from what I read in the email... perhaps the Wizard Award could be offered by a readers vote... where the reader can post a mark and perhaps each month the marks could be counted and given an award.

There are lots of ways to bring this about... I have to find out what each one if for first...

That Choice Award, I would LOVE to have as a front cover to my Chapbook... Between the Dusk and Dawn...

They are all quite beautiful ... Beautiful...
Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 15 05, 23:38
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Liz!

Thanks - I really like these and feel they represent our site well. AS to your inquiry, the descriptions are within each one in this thread I believe?

Let me know if you would like more specifics and I'd be most happy to answer for you.

GroupHug.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 5 05, 10:52
Post #4

Excellent, Lori - thanks for all your hard work. Well done!

James

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 5 05, 14:01
Post #5

I must say nearly all of the award graphics are tastful.  As for myself, I like an emerald on top of the pot-o-gold at rainbows' end.

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 5 05, 15:03
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks very much James and Don! cloud9.gif

I think these minis look wonderful! Care to share that pot-o-gold Don? ???

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 5 05, 16:15
Post #7

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Mar. 05 2005, 15:03)
Thanks very much James and Don! cloud9.gif

I think these minis look wonderful! Care to share that pot-o-gold Don? ???

Hi Cleo,

I totally agree and most certainly thank you.

You know those gold filled pots at the end of rainbows are never there when you arrive.    But when I catch one before it disappears, I'll be certain to share.  A hefty donation to MM, LLC too.

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 20 05, 07:35
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Why thanks so much Don!
lovie.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 20 05, 09:10
Post #9

Cleo_Serapis/Lori,

I entered computer world in text mode and progressed through DOS and was slower entering Windows icon expansion.  What accelerated my exposure to icon/mouse dominance over textual commands was engineering/drafting graphic languages that became monstrously powerful using hundreds of icon pictures.  

Secondly, the highways and byways, appliances, instructions, safety manuals, etc. depend on attempts at universal understanding by pictures and geometric symbols in substitution for written text.
A circle with a diagonal line is a key example.  It is a product of our times and would be totally unfathonable to say populace of sixteenth century.  

My point is that textual content is being significantly displaced by pictorial.  Though poetry may be high verbal language, it is frequently conveyed by textual records. My retoric question is how much degradation by pictures should a forum supporting written language partake?

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 20 05, 09:28
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Don.

My retoric question is how much degradation by pictures should a forum supporting written language partake?

A fair question. I like to think that images when displayed so as not to overtake the message of the written words is a compliment to the art, not a degradation of it.

Here in particular, we often use image challenges to stir the muse with wonderful results.  cloud9.gif These emoticons also help us to convery non-verbal thoughts too.  :block:

We shall need to see what others think of your question.

Cheers!
Cleo  Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 20 05, 10:11
Post #11

Hi Don,

I have several books of modern poetry and many contain poems which are as much visual as literary.

Daniel has recently put-up a couple of excellent visual poems.

I think we need to accept that we live in a multi-media world.

My recent poem - based on Little Red Riding Hood, uses different font colours, sizes and stepping.

I am currently working on a poem in a DTP which I will have to post on MM as an image - hopefully soon. I am also trying to investigate the new concept of Flash (the programme) poems - where text bounces around and inter-acts with images.

I do not think images degenerate words; they enhance them or make no difference. I think images are an exciting stimulus (as Lori says) or - and this really excites me - a great way of presenting new multi-media poetry.

Of course, no one has to worry - none of this does any harm to the more traditional 100% word poetry - it is still there for all to enjoy.

Multimedia and images - just like the atom bomb, we can't un-invent it - but at least this is artistic and fun!

Regards, 4James.

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 20 05, 10:21
Post #12

Hi Lori,

Trust your first day of Spring is more spritly than our overcast sky.

The question of picture Vs textual is not original with me.

Degradation of language has been a concern of a percentage perhaps since the first growl or grunt.

My age is showing Lori.  Ethan, our grandson, of nearly five-years enjoys sitting on my lap watching the animated smilies at MM.

When young it mattered not
for then was learning to crow.
Now it matters more to a lot
keeping little of what we know.

I remember when grammarians dissed the word "ain't" which reluctantly entered official dictionaries.  Now it is hardly heard.

Pictograph writing of Chinese was too complicated for computer keyboard; and why we use alphabetic QWERTY.  A fingerprint history worrisome worse as terribly terse.

Bottom line is that pictures and text are complimentary
and subjects of personal preference and commentary.

Mankind is enamoured with speed and communication.
If written language is subjugated to a minor role, remember it simply returns to its not so ancient past.  

C U

Don

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 20 05, 10:56
Post #13

Hi Jox,

Makes me think of high jinks.

BTW your red dragon avatar is fantastic.  A picture, no?

Images and text are a matter of taste.  Often they enhance and often they clash.

No argument from this quarter about the mad rushing train.

As an educator, you are aware that individuals tend to be attracted to entities directly proportional to number of senses stimulated.
We will pay more attention to sight than ear, more to taste than touch and olefactory tops all five.

TV dominates radio because it adds stimulus of visual to noise.  Within visual are motion and color enhancements.  

A fly in this ointment is why do we prefer to set comfortably on a couch before an inane TV program rather than outside in real world, which engrosses all our five senses.  In relative ignorance I guess we prefer physical comfort above all, and this is using all our senses, in a senseless sense.

I am very interested in your project of bouncing text interacting with images.   Similarly, I would be fascinated to see words changing in pure textual content to create several discreet meanings upon a baseline poem.

Cheeers 2 James & CU 2

Don

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 20 05, 15:21
Post #14

Hi Don,

>>BTW your red dragon avatar is fantastic.  A picture, no?

Well I'm so glad you asked - I could rant-on for hours...

My present (temporary) avatar is actually the National flag of Wales (Cymru). It shows the red dragon (draig) of Wales. Some date this national symbol to the Roman occupation (1600-2000 years ago); others believe it is earlier. Wales is not an independent country; it is part of the United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland) but it now has its own Assembly and First Minister. The Head of State is the same as for the whole of the UK - HM Queen Elizabeth II (reign started in 1952).

Although it was St David's Day (Wales' patron Saint) on 1st March, I actually put the flag up to celebrate our first Grand Slam in nearly thirty years. Rugby Football (as opposed to Association Football (soccer)) is Wales' national game. The Six Nations' Rugby competition has just ended and Wales not only won but also won all of their games (each country plays each other once). The countries involved are: Wales, England, Scotland, Ireland (a combination of the Republic and Northern Ireland), France and Italy. I cannot really explain what an important national moment this was for Wales. It really is tremendous. Though I live in England (and was born here) my heart always lives in Wales. (Which means having very long blood vessels).

Well, you did ask! :)

>>Images and text are a matter of taste.  Often they enhance and often they clash.

Agreed 100%. But it is also up to the artist to produce multi-media which "works". (Though, no, people will never totally agree).

No argument from this quarter about the mad rushing train.

>>As an educator, you are aware that individuals tend to be attracted to entities directly proportional to number of senses stimulated.
We will pay more attention to sight than ear, more to taste than touch and olefactory tops all five.

I disagree. I think visual input is the No1 input; it can obscure all others. But what a wizzo idea - smell poems! Great stuff.

>>TV dominates radio because it adds stimulus of visual to noise.  Within visual are motion and color enhancements.  

Yes, except I listen more to radio than watch tv - but I accept I'm odd!

>>A fly in this ointment is why do we prefer to set comfortably on a couch before an inane TV program rather than outside in real world, which engrosses all our five senses.  In relative ignorance I guess we prefer physical comfort above all, and this is using all our senses, in a senseless sense.

Well, I don't think I do watch too many inane television programmes - I try to choose carefully. I don't watch soaps or reality tv or most sit coms and so on. However, yes laziness is one thing, comfort another, cheapness another and also tv gives us a wonderful eye on the World in a way that an entire lifetime of travelling could never do - though I accept that would offer some benefits over tv, too.

Certainly in the UK, tv viewing is diminishing (though is still very important) as computer games and internet use are increasing. People seem to like inter-activity.

>>I am very interested in your project of bouncing text interacting with images.   Similarly, I would be fascinated to see words changing in pure textual content to create several discreet meanings upon a baseline poem.

I'm working on a static visual poem but I'm interested in Flash Poetry...

Here's a link to some on the BBC (worth looking at for everyone)...

BBC Visual Poetry Site

>>Cheers 2 James & CU 2

Cheers Don.

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 20 05, 15:34
Post #15

Hi James,

I think Wales has the snazziest flag of anyplace.

Sure beats lions, eagles, and griffins.  

I say smell is best because a fragrance is known to instill more distant and complete memory.  A whif of something long forgotten will bring back memory as if yesterday....or maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for the link.  I shall...

Indulge yourself.

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post May 30 05, 06:37
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Update to the CHAOS award requirements....

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 5 05, 07:30
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Updated the Eye of Horus award requirements...

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 9 05, 05:28
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Added four new awards beginnning in June 2005 for new topics posted in Crit forums.

Cheers!
~Cleo dance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jun 9 05, 05:43
Post #19

Yet again, thanks for your hard work, Lori. People (me included) don't realise what a lot of work is involved.

All the best, J.

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 10 05, 05:40
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thank you James.

For all our awards - I believe the time spent is well worth the outcome!

dance.gif  :lovie:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 01:31

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: