post Oct 5 06, 06:36
Post #1

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Sijo

Sijo is a classic Korean poetic form somewhat resembling haiku in its oft focusing on subjects in nature. American poets may do best to think in terms of three long lines averaging 14-16 syllables, the second line the longest. Each line has a point of rest approximately in the middle.

The first line states a theme, usually some situation or problem, the second line develops it, often countering it in some way, and the third line resolves tension between the two lines, using a kind of surprise twist.

Because the 14 syllables in English is often too unwieldy, the lines are often divided at the rest point, and appears as a six-line poem.

Here is a factual, but also a bit tongue-in-cheek example of my own, merely to help describe the form light-heartedly:

how lovely a sijo, three phrases
sometimes six, cut in half
flowing as music from a poet’s pen
then turning in a twist
to re-orient a broad cheek
smiling back with toothy grin

© MLee Dickens’son 06 Dec 2004

and here are a couple of links that will assist well in forming your own:

Sijo, a Korean form

and

Sijo

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Normpo_*
post Oct 5 06, 11:10
Post #2

Here is another way to define the Sijo:
More ancient than haiku, the Korean SIJO shares a common ancestry with haiku, tanka and similar Japanese genres. All evolved from more ancient Chinese patterns. Sijo is traditionally composed in three lines of 14-16 syllables each, totaling between 44-46 syllables. A pause breaks each line approximately in the middle; it resembles a caesura but is not based on metrics. You will also see this form broken from three lines into six-line format.

Best site for examples of Sijo poetry IMHO: http://thewordshop.tripod.com/Sijo/masters.html

You also might wish to visit: http://members.tripod.com/~Startag/IntroSijo.html

I personally own two books of Sijo poetry - check them out when you have time:
This one has modern versions of the form -- "Modern Korean Verse in Sijo Form" - Selected and Translated by Jaihiun Kim
For the ancient poets - "Sunset in a Spider Web; Sijo Poetry of Ancient Korea" by Virginia Olsen Baron

I think this is my favorite:

Oh that I might capture the essence of this deep midwinter night
And fold it softly into the waft of a spring-moon quilt
Then fondly uncoil it the night my beloved returns.

...Hwang Chin-i (1522-1565) most revered female Korean classical poet
========================================================
Here are three I've recently written:

Sijo Sojourn #1

Zephyr
Am I a zephyr in this lifetime...a temporal passing-by?
I have breezed through a few open windows...perchance touched some souls inside.
Upon my passing, push aside mourning shades...let this zephyr in.

Winds
Gentle winds lifted shades from pillowed view; now suspended, days slant.
Every sunlit morning thins; transparent rays promise finite warmth.
Translucent, the fabric of infinity has filtered my soul.

Breeze
Some chilled breeze determined to claim my bones, blows the frail shades aside.
Feeling like the last leaf on an old tree, my days exhaled and sighed.
A hardened stone or flower in the leaves? My offspring will decide.

© Norman S. Pollack 10/2006

Norm

AMETHYST
post Oct 5 06, 15:16
Post #3

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

First I wanted to thank you Daniel for the excellent information you've provided to start this Form's thread. I find this form exciting, and I cannot wait to have a go at it. (I've been trying to do one all day, but keep using white out on my computer screen) LOL

And Norm, thank you -

For the specific links as well, with the additional information on the form's history and the additional links to learn more and the examples... I do love what you've done with the form...it is brilliant!

Best to you both and I will be back As soon as I can create one of my own! :)

Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Peterpan
post Oct 5 06, 15:36
Post #4

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 127
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Jox

Hello all!

Most interesting enlightenment!

Thank you for this.

PP

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 7 06, 07:32
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

thanks.gif very much Daniel and Norm for enlightening us to this form. It is certainly very beautiful and the examples you've both offered express the form very well. claps.gif

Is it fair to say that Sijo is a lyrical verse most often either narrative or thematic, with strong foundation in nature (resembling Haiku)?

how lovely a sijo, three phrases
sometimes six, cut in half
flowing as music from a poet’s pen
then turning in a twist
to re-orient a broad cheek
smiling back with toothy grin

I adore poems written that decribe the form's specific parameters. This one is excellent. claps.gif

Daniel (and anyone else interested), would you like to plan a project where we'd take all our forms posted here (and any new ones) and write examples in this fashion? I know you've done this for my Octa Tri as well in the past and I find it a wonderful instructional guide to offer. teacher.gif
If so, we can start a separate thread for this project here in Karnak (and can make it a sticky topic). cheer.gif chef.gif

Am I a zephyr in this lifetime...a temporal passing-by?
I have breezed through a few open windows...perchance touched some souls inside.
Upon my passing, push aside mourning shades...let this zephyr in.

Norm, I admire the question you've posed in L1 - temporal - a unique word choice. thumbsup.gif
I really find much meaning in L2 - very profound actually. The essense and spirit live on through your words, the Ka if you will. Great conclusion, "mourning" lets us know the audience's emotional state.

Well done!
~Cleo rose.gif rose.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th September 2024 - 11:50

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: