Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alphabet Challenge, An exercise to try!
Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 21 04, 13:14
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello!

Here's a neat one to try! Pick a letter of the alphabet to start with and write a line or a sentence starting with that letter. The next line or sentence will then start with the next letter of the alphabet. See how you do!

Good luck!

An example:

My eyes are colored many shades,
never revealing their true self.

"Oh, can't you overlook that which fades?"
"Perhaps if you applied makeup from shelf!"

Well - ok - so this is quick and pretty bad but you get the idea, right?

detective.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Cathy_*
post Dec 30 04, 01:12
Post #2

Eyes are windows to the soul,
framed in darkness to hide the lies.
Gazing downward in theatrical role,
hiding the moment of truth's demise.

Guest_Jox_*
post Dec 30 04, 10:38
Post #3

© James Oxenholme, 2004. I, James Oxenholme, do assert my right to be identified as the author of this work in accordance with Sections 77 and 78 of The Copyrights, Designs And Patents Act, 1988. (Laws of Cymru & England, as recognised by international treaties). This work was simultaneously copyrighted in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America. This work is posted as an unpublished work in order to elicit critical assistance, only.

Ref: PF-0253-AB

Florey Flora & Flemish Chain
by PF

Antibiotic panacea? No:
bacteria too clever -
clinically proven to
defeat anything.

Eternity beckons.
Forever doomed -
Grateful Dead?

Hopeless progress, despite
iconic developments.
Jousting nature;
killing disease?

Looking for immortality -
mankind’s dilemma:
never die or always live?

Order on Earth demands
pharmaceutical research...
quantity or quality?
Real-time decisions.

Sadness stimulates,
tragedies promote and
ultimate desires drive:
vivisection questing.

Why do we think that
x-rays reveal innermost
yearnings? Humbug!

Zoology 1 - Humans 0.

(end)

Guest_Jox_*
post Dec 30 04, 11:58
Post #4

Cathy - your poem reminds me very much of Princess Diana - a deceased member of the Royal Family. Fits her to a "T" so to speeak.

Well done.

James.

Guest_Bren_*
post Jan 5 05, 03:04
Post #5

A massive undertaking faces me...
before, it had been treated carelessly.
Could this be something new I see in me...
desiring to complete a given task.
Eventually, someone is bound to ask
for proof that my desire is not a mask.

Good habits are not easily acquired.
How soon I found that work was still required!
I think about it and get very tired...
just contemplating what I need to do,
aware I must complete this task for you
lest you should say,"You're not surprised, you knew

my weakness would win out and I would fail."
No wonder my resolve is thin and frail,
ordained by following the trail
procrastination had laid out for me...
quite clear and followed oh so easily!
Rehashing life, it's plain for me to see

such lack of methodology, creates
tremendous problems, and it indicates
unecessary worry that awaits
victims of my lack in motivation...
with that in mind, I'll end this oration
X marks the grave of procrastination!! :pharoah2

You see  no task of great complexity...
Zealot I'm not, so I am free...
no massive undertaking faces me! cloud9.gif

Brenda Ascott Fry

That's a big pipe dream.  I'm just as guilty of procrastination as I ever was. Jester.gif

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 5 05, 06:15
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Well done James, Cathy and Bren! laugh.gif

P.S. James and Bren - now now - you didn't HAVE to go and use the entire alphabet - but what FUN to read your tiles!

Good show!
~Cleo dance.gif MusicBand.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 5 05, 07:02
Post #7

Lori - thank you. A most topping challenge.

Brenda - Hello. I PM'd you this morning to wish you well but now I'd like to publically welcome you to MM. (I hope you've not been putting-off joining for too long!)

Your poem, above, is more complicated than mine because you have multiple rhymes, too. Well done. It looks like you are going to be making some very interesting contributions to MM over time... don't put them off now.

Best wishes to you both.

James.

Guest_Bren_*
post Jan 5 05, 19:35
Post #8

Hi Lori , it was fun and once started I just "went with the flow" Jester.gif

Hi James, thanks for this welcome too.  I appreciated your welcoming P.M.
I enjoy challenges and this was a fun one.
Blessings to you both

Bren

Guest__*
post Jan 8 05, 18:02
Post #9

THE KEY

About time too, she
bellowed, loud voice free, right
’cross Independence Square

Damn her and her
every word, I thought
faking a greeting,
grinning
hugely and horribly
insincerely at her

“Just fancy that - I left my car
key inside my coat again when
leaving it in
my car

“Now all you have to do is
open with your set so I can
pop the coat out and
quickly
rescue my keys

“So I’ll be on my way
to work
up to an hour late
very good considering
what with ...
x-cuse me - those in there ARE
your keys ?”
(Zip drawn over subsequent words by Internet Censorship Board)

Alan McAlpine Douglas

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 8 05, 18:20
Post #10

Most chucklesome, Alan... despite the slight "cheat" on X - what's wrong with incorporating “xylophone“?

All the best, James.

Guest_Perrorist_*
post Jan 8 05, 18:55
Post #11

Brenda

The line: aware I must complete this task for you, should that have been: knowing I must complete this task for you?

Perry (nit-picker extraordinaire)

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 9 05, 07:59
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Tee hee!

Yes Perry - I believe Bren did mean to use "K" there and knowing certainly fits...

laugh.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 9 05, 08:00
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Jox @ Jan. 08 2005, 18:20)
Most chucklesome, Alan... despite the slight "cheat" on X - what's wrong with incorporating “xylophone“?

All the best, James.

Yes Alan - a cool and chucklesome tile!  :pharoah2

I enjoyed the read!  :StarWars1:

~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Jan 10 05, 09:42
Post #14

Dear Jox,

" what's wrong with incorporating “xylophone“?"

Nothing (in fact in your honour it was the first word committed to ! ) :

ZIGGURATS ARE IN

About that
bloody or-
chestra,
do we have to have
every damn instrument ?
For goodness sake
glockenspiel already,
holy serpents in several guises
inconsequential things like variously water-filled
jam jars;
klaxons and kettle drums which
love to make that ghastly noise some could call
music, others
not.
On the other hand
perhaps
quirky, probably central
richly sonorous
sensually, nay, shockingly
timberous
utterly compelling
virtuously vibrant
wonderfully woolly
xylophones
yes - a vital foundation to any orchestral
ziggurat, are in !

Alan McAlpine Douglas

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 10 05, 10:09
Post #15

LOL!

Thank you very much, you're an excellent dj... I think this is the first time I've had a request played on MM.

Well done, Alan, clearly there is no poetical challenge you're not (at least) equal to. Simply music to your ears.

You even resisted the temptation to play your own trumpet.

A remarkable work of note. More than enough to save me from being too crotchety with the grey weather. And what a clef-hanger at the end!

James.

Lori... it's no good saying we don't have to use all the letters now... Sound the horn - the game's afoot!

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 10 05, 19:49
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hmmmm - here's an even tougher one (but I'm not gonna make it a new challenge just yet)....

Make youe first word's letter in each line the corresponding one as in above examples
A B C D AND also make the LAST letter in each match your first - this is kind of like a double acrostic

so you'd have...

A ripened banana
burst forth from a bomb
catapulted by the historic
dagger known as "Galahad"
Exaliber's friend and foe...

rofl.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Jan 12 05, 18:18
Post #17

Dear Cleo,

Is this what you had in mind ? :

TO THE BACK TEETH

Abracadabra
burbled Blighty Bob
causing the caustic
descaler to bubble up hard
enough to dislodge all the scale

For goodness sake, it’s come off
gleefully Bob, hand-clapping
high up, above the arch
in which like glitterati
jammed, an Indian joint - “Raj”

Klaxons blared, stuck on lock,
luck would have it all
morning, up to the very cusp of the next p.m.
noon to you, damn siren
of disaster, us blocking up our ears, shouting “Oooooooo !”

Perhaps things are on the up
quoth Bob’s fifth raven, named Cinq
rather obviously. Would we rather
size up all the others -
there are eighty-eight ?

Up to now, we’ve heard nothing from you -
very well, stuck-up spiv,
wax lyrical, Bob says, right now
x-ray your brain, Rex
yes you, huh, you got nothing to say ...
... zzzzzzzzzzzz ....

Alan McAlpine Douglas

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 13 05, 06:18
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Tee hee! rofl.gif

YES - by george I think he's got it!  :detective:

Awesome Alan!  :dance:  :dance:

How about another one - this time make every word in each line start with the same letter?  :grinning:

Actively, Alice ate an apple
by bobbing bouncily...

Cheers!
Cleo  :dragon:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Jan 13 05, 07:15
Post #19

Dear Cleo,

Pleased you approve of my start/finish alphabetical.

But as to "this time make every word in each line start with the same letter",
I think I will decline, as this has to be the ultimate in the near-equivalent of rhyme-driven !

As I reread the above, I can see far too many poetic weaknesses, caused by the arbitrary need to end the lines with certain letters.

But thanks, anyway LOL !

Love
Alan

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 16 05, 17:42
Post #20

© James Oxenholme, 2005. I, James Oxenholme, do assert my right to be identified as the author of this work in accordance with Sections 77 and 78 of The Copyrights, Designs And Patents Act, 1988. (Laws of Cymru & England, as recognised by international treaties). This work was simultaneously copyrighted in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the United States of America. This work is posted as an unpublished work in order to elicit critical assistance, only.

Hi Lori, Alan, et al.

Well, what can I say? I agree with Alan. However... Some time ago I did compose such a useless verse. I have dug it up, altered the obscenities to things I can post here and present it but not for crit!!

Ref: RL 0067 AF
(Started: 6th March, 1995)

AAA, BBB, CCC
by RL.

Atrocious Alligators Aching;
Barings Bank Blows Billions;
Canny Chimpanzees Canoodling;
Dreadful Derbianians Dithering;
Erudite Egyptians Eloping;
Foxy Fabians Fornicating;
Giant Gannets Gobbling;
Hysterical Honeys Hobbling;
Irate Imams Illustrating;
Juicy Julias Jumping;
Kind Kevins Kissing;
Late Lucindas Loving;
More Mean Misogynists;

Nice Nigels Nannying;
Officious Ogres Orating;
Pink Pirates Poncing;
Quality Queens Questing;
Rustic Rectors Ranting;
Stupid Servants Shamming;
Titillating Trollops Teasing;
Ubiquitous Unicorns Urging;
Violent Voles Vibrating;
Witty Wallabies Waggling;
Xenophobic Xylophones X-Rayed;
Yellow Yetties Yelping;
Zany Zombies Zooming.

(end)

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 02:43

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: