post Jun 3 08, 03:43
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

My muse might be resting as far as writing new poems, but I am learning a lot through revising old ones and here is another --

Starlit Seduction

The curtain’s drawn; a spangled velvet sheet
creates a welcome shade from summer’s heat.
A slumber blankets earth with dreams, as night’s
seductive moonbeams dance in shadowed light.

Big eyes entice the sky, they wink and flirt;
she fingers silver buttons on his shirt
to proudly flaunt her galaxies of gems
on midnight’s hand. He lifts her sequined hem
as stellar rays caress the dark. She sighs
when kisses scatter over sultry skies
to burst in supernova’s rising cloud;
the climax of the night -- she gasps aloud.

The curtain slowly opens -- there’s no rush;
as dawn appears, the sky begins to blush.
----------------------------------------
Couplet was --
The curtain opens slowly -- there’s no rush;
as dawn peeps out, the sky begins to blush.

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
jgdittier
post Jun 3 08, 06:12
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear Eisa,
A fascinating piece of literature/poetry/verse!
You've made it say virtually nothing and yet tell it all. It takes a particular talent to do that few have and few have ever done so well.
As far as the technique goes, I've no proposed improvements. My only suggestion is enter it in a contest.Cheers, Ron jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Jun 6 08, 14:21
Post #3

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Referred By:Larry Carr

Eira:

I read this through four times and each time I liked it more and more. You have captured a sultry magic that seems to rear it's salacious head only at night.

It reads fairly smoothly. My only suggestion would be to add a few more lines....I was left wanting for more.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Jun 6 08, 15:26
Post #4

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear Eisa,
I've reread it too and the thought that came to me was the warm feeling I get after a strong cocktail and before the next one.
It is deliciously suggestive, just as is the drink.
You hit this one on the sweetspot!!!
Cheers, Ron jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 15 08, 17:03
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Snow,

What a lovely poem! cloud9.gif I too find this one pretty polished as is - a romatic, yet sensual expression done with what appears to be such ease. I'm jealous! Jester.gif

If I must, here's two ideas to toss at ya for the closing couplet, (1) switch slowly and opens:
as dawn peeps out, the sky begins to blush. (2) see below for alternate

as dawn emerges, sky begins to blush.

Enjoyed this!
~Cleo hersheyskiss.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Jun 15 08, 18:07
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hey Snow,

Yes, I agree with everyone. This is a final deal. I remember it's start as well and the times of revision - I do think Lori's suggestion to switch the words is an excellent one, the lines reads like warm butter when swtiched.

Well ... I've nothing further to leave on this either - Just to give a Thumbs up! :)

Love you, Liz

PS I Nominate this Sonnet for IBPC ...

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jun 18 08, 15:45
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (JLY @ Jun 6 08, 20:21 ) [snapback]108691[/snapback]
Eira:

I read this through four times and each time I liked it more and more. You have captured a sultry magic that seems to rear it's salacious head only at night.

It reads fairly smoothly. My only suggestion would be to add a few more lines....I was left wanting for more.

JLY

Thanks John - yes it was difficult getting everything innto the 14 lines of a sonnet. perhaps one day I'll write a longer poem.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jun 18 08, 15:47
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (jgdittier @ Jun 6 08, 21:26 ) [snapback]108699[/snapback]
Dear Eisa,
I've reread it too and the thought that came to me was the warm feeling I get after a strong cocktail and before the next one.
It is deliciously suggestive, just as is the drink.
You hit this one on the sweetspot!!!
Cheers, Ron jgd

Thanks Ron!!!

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jun 18 08, 15:57
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Jun 15 08, 23:03 ) [snapback]108869[/snapback]
Hi Snow,

Hi Lori

What a lovely poem! cloud9.gif I too find this one pretty polished as is - a romatic, yet sensual expression done with what appears to be such ease. I'm jealous! Jester.gif

Don't be jealous Lori - this has taken years to write! LOL! It started off full of cliche's.

If I must, here's two ideas to toss at ya for the closing couplet, (1) switch slowly and opens:
as dawn peeps out, the sky begins to blush. (2) see below for alternate

as dawn emerges, sky begins to blush.

Hooray!!! it was the couplet I was not completely happy with and I do like your suggestions. Changing 'slowly & opens' is spot on!'

I like your suggestion for the last line too - only one nit-picky thing, it would change to 'sky' instead of 'the sky' This wouldn't matter if I hadn't used 'the sky' in L5.

I'm probably being overly picky, but know some would criticise that.
I could change th last line to -
'as dawn appears, the sky begins to blush'

I'll think on this - thanks for your thoughts.

Enjoyed this!
~Cleo hersheyskiss.gif

Hugs
Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jun 18 08, 16:02
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (AMETHYST @ Jun 16 08, 00:07 ) [snapback]108872[/snapback]
Hey Snow,

Yes, I agree with everyone. This is a final deal. I remember it's start as well and the times of revision - I do think Lori's suggestion to switch the words is an excellent one, the lines reads like warm butter when swtiched.

Well ... I've nothing further to leave on this either - Just to give a Thumbs up! :)

Love you, Liz

PS I Nominate this Sonnet for IBPC ...

Hi Liz ...

... and you had a hand in the revisions too!

Hugs
Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 18 08, 17:27
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Yep - that would definitely work too for that last line Snow:

'as dawn appears, the sky begins to blush'

~L cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Thoth
post Jan 26 09, 10:20
Post #12

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 457
Referred By:Mistral

Hi Snow,
I'm glad you dug this one out of storage. It is one of the most beautiful sensual sonnets I have ever read! I'm a sucker for this kind of romantisism so was captivated from the first quantrain. One of the reasons I love the desert is because of the nights where stars dance from one horrison to the other in splendor such as this described. To fall sleep under such a sky is a privilage few ever experience.

No nits at all from me, it's absolutely perfect now and deserves to be presented to the public.

Masterfully written, my deepest compliments to you.

Wally

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

Eisa
post Jan 26 09, 15:26
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Wally

Thank you for coming here to comment. This sonnet has evolved from one of my very first poems (which was very different to this final revision). I really love poems about the sky & have written quite a few on that subject. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2024 - 19:38

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: