Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello ! wave.gif

This is a poem I recently wrote (yay, something new) hsdance.gif as a result of the Frost "Aquainted with the Night" challenge located here.

1st Revision - thanks Snow, Wally and John! eowyn.gif aragorn.gif legolas.gif

A Wakening

In districts dimly lit, immortal night
encumbers troubled souls through blinding rain
while searching for that flicker called The Light.

These phantoms seek the weak on luring lane
to prime their craft with those already beat
whose acts, often unnoticed don't explain

the cruel and unjust faltering of feet
on paths that yield a warning; no -- a cry
for help. No one will free you from that street!

It comes from deep within; just say good-bye
to fragments of yourself -- go scale that height
and rise above: welcome that pious sky.

Begin anew! Conquer those wrongs and right
the past; a dawning comes from fettered night.

Copyright © Lorraine M. Kanter 19 Mar 2010

Original:

In districts dimly lit it’s always night
where troubled ones cannot see through the rain
and haze to find that flicker we call 'light'.

Specters enlist the weak on 'luring lane'
priming their craft with those already beat.
These acts, often unnoticed, don’t explain

on paths that yield a warning, no; a cry
for help. Can someone save them from that street?

It comes from deep within; let’s say good-bye
to fragments of ourselves. We’ll scale that height
and rise above to see a sapphire sky.

It starts today! Conquer those wrongs and right

Copyright © Lorraine M. Kanter 26 Feb 2010

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_ohsteve_*
post Mar 4 10, 17:52
Post #2

Lori, Hooray!!! Congrats on the new poem... of course I have been reading the succession of these in Karnak's but still its great to see you finally post this in the critique forum. I think you have worked out most of the little nits in this as it reads very well, if I didn't know where it had originated I couldn't tell that it was a frosty spin-off. I say very well done Lori. Now let's hope the muse now lit continues to burn. I think it has been a rough year for a lot of us, but it sure is nice to see we have endured and are getting back into the swing of things. I am still doing pretty good with the new meds, haven'twritten anything in about a week but thats ok as I have been taking care of other stuff.

Take care
Steve

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 5 10, 12:41
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

HOORAY! dance.gif dance.gif

Thankies Steve. Yeppers, and I have two other Frost responses in the works too. Maybe I should ease back into writing doing those challenges? Idea.gif

As I hint in my closing - say goodbye to the past (we've all hard a rough year) - a new dawn is here! sun.gif

Whippee! hsdance.gif

Cheers
~Cleo arwen.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Mar 11 10, 19:31
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Well done Lori!! pharoah2.gif cheer.gif It's so good to read your work again.

I love this form too - must have a try (if muse will allow!!)

A few thoughts follow :-

A Wakening

Possibly a comma after haze?

to prime [ing] their craft with those already beat.

unnoticed acts that often don't explain

unjust and brutal faltering of feet
on paths that yield a warning ... no; a cry

Fantastic ending!!!!!!!

Hugs
Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Thoth
post Mar 14 10, 03:50
Post #5

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 457
Referred By:Mistral

Hi Lori
This poem depicts a really dark side of city life. It is quite horrifying really, just what one imagines in our decadent inner city slums. You have a definite flair for this type of dark poetry and a masterful command of producing spooky imagery. The sonnet structure supports the theme too. In the end it was uplifting too -inspirational stuff!

Perhaps you could consider creating two distinct voices calling out from the void, enticing the lost souls hither and thither. Other than that, a very good example emanating from your own challenge.

Well done, thanks for the entertainment and taking the lead in this form of poetry again.

Hugz, Wally

P.S. Here are some comments to T or T

In districts dimly lit it’s always night [In districts dimly lit, perpetual night]
where troubled ones cannot see through the rain [encumbers troubled souls through blinding rain]
and haze to find that flicker we call 'light'. [while searching for that flicker called 'The Light'.]

Specters enlist the weak on 'luring lane' [Spectres? Leading stress, try; ”where spectres seek the weak. . . ]
priming their craft with those already beat. [leading stress][“to prime their craft . . .]
These acts, often unnoticed, don’t explain [“whose acts . . . “]

the cruel and unjust faltering of feet [I love this strophe!]
on paths that yield a warning, no; a cry
for help. Can someone save them from that street? [perhaps show voices for the spectres]

and rise above to see a sapphire sky. [try something other than sapphire - too common]

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 16 10, 19:22
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Snow and thanks! wave.gif

I'm glad to have you here in my thread. cheer.gif Yes, plesae DO try this - it's like a sonnet in some ways.

Possibly a comma after haze?
I was not fond of the 'and haze' as it felt and still feels too much like filler. I'll think on a change there (and see Wally has stopped in for a read too so perhaps he may have an option to consider when I read his reply as well? One thing for certain is L4 needs tweaking.

to prime [ing] their craft with those already beat.

unnoticed acts that often don't explain
Yes, I agree with the suggestion in L2, and will relook at L3.

unjust and brutal faltering of feet
on paths that yield a warning ... no; a cry

Yes, your idea would work here too = something new to consider there, the addition of 'brutal' instead of cruek works.

I wasn't quire sure on the ending actually. It doesn't quite fit the idea in my mind - it's more like an epiphany: Starting today, things will be different... but I'm glad you like it!

Thanks for stopping in! Snowflake.gif
Hugs
~Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Mar 19 10, 05:48
Post #7

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17

G'day Lori

Original. Good. minniemouse.gif pinkpanther.gif

A Wakening

Title Awakening

In districts dimly lit it’s always night >>> 'always night'. Not true. In districts dimly lit it's always bleak/dull/pale/murky/dingy.
and haze to find that flicker we call 'light'. >>> 'who is we' Use an active voice: and haze to find a flicker called light

Specters enlist the weak on 'luring lane' >>> 'of luring lane/in luring lane
priming their craft with those already beat.

on paths that yield a warning, no; a cry>>> Just me here. on paths that yeild a warning. No-- a cry for help.

to fragments of ourselves. We’ll scale that height >>> Dunno, Plural? to fragment ourselves; we'll scale our heights

Take or leave my suggestions, Lori. troy.gif

I think your poem deserves a new start. troy.gif

Regards,

John

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 19 10, 20:36
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Wally, tut.gif

I like to check into the dark side sometimes, I find it fascinating, LOL! Yes, when I saw the end words of each line, I thought of the inner city and the street action at night. I like "spooky", ghostface.gif and am glad you understood the message here. There's always hope, it just takes a change to see it sometimes. I like the idea of the phantom sauron.gif speaking so I'm going to use that one, TY! hsdance.gif

I've incorporated Snow's, John's and your suggestions into a re-write I'll be editing in a few minutes. I hope you don;t mind my using a few of your ideas - they fit much better that my original while still maintaining the message.

What do you think?

Thanks again and cheers,
~Cleo eowyn.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 19 10, 20:39
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

G'day mate, troy.gif

It's NICE to see you in my thread, John. How are you?

True, it's not 'always night' but I needed to keep the word 'night' and have incorporated some other suggestions - what do you think of the rewrite? You're all on the same page. Good onya!

Hopefully, it has a new start now, lol!

Cheers,
~Cleo kiss.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Mar 19 10, 23:07
Post #10

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hey Lori,

Love the revision! The meter and flow are smoother now and even after the 3rd read, I found no bumps or nits to pick. I would have popped in for a critter two but everyone else covered all the bases quite nicely. Besides, I put in my two cents in Karnak. Bob would be proud.

Larry

p.s. Check out the Longfellow thread for my new SQ.

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Mar 20 10, 04:16
Post #11

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17

G'day, Lori.

Can I give a good to be alive call. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHa. troy.gif

Good revision. minniemouse.gif pinkpanther.gif

Well, the first line in any poem, as (yo) know, sets the theme. troy.gif

My suggestion.

The backstreets, the shadows, it's always night. Hide.gif

From therein use an active voice. Point out the scene. troy.gif

Nothing, passive.

Boom, boom. Fencing.gif

John troy.gif Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

4rum
post Apr 5 10, 01:23
Post #12

Assyrian

Member No.: 456
Referred By:N/A

Dear Lori;

Powerful and reads so well. I would not dare touch the fourth verse or last couplet. I think they are VERY personal and have meaning that I would not change.

My grammar is terrible, so please correct me on the tense, V2, L2. Is 'beat' ok or should it be beaten? Here's a line if it's the latter (although, I expect I am wrong on this).

'dregs already beaten by deceit'

tootles
Sam

·······IPB·······

Values are to integrity as spirit to spirituality ... the one is needed that the other is sustained ~ Sam

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 20 10, 11:09
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi there mate! troy.gif

Geez - sorry for my late response!!!!!! I just realized two more replies to this one. upside.gif

I will consider your idea on L1 - however, I think 'the shadows' may be redundant later with 'phantoms'. I do like 'it's always night' so glad you agree there. I almost wnated to give the visual of a 'district' in other words - a specific part of town where its a bit 'seedier' if you know what I mean.

On the next revision (not sure when) - I will rethink that active voice narration.

Best regards!
~Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 20 10, 11:17
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Sam -

It's GOOD to see you in my thread and at MM. mm.gif mm.gif Sorry for such a late response to your posting! upside.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed this. I will double check on the grammar - it's possible that it should be beaten
My grammar is terrible, so please correct me on the tense, V2, L2. Is 'beat' ok or should it be beaten? Here's a line if it's the latter (although, I expect I am wrong on this).

'dregs already beaten by deceit'
. I want to be careful though as in L2, I'm referring to the specters, not the victims of their games. "to prime their craft with those already beat". The specters are the ones who are heightening their craft if you will by feeding on the weak. So I wouldn't view the victims as dregs necessarily.

Good food for thought!
I'll try and get back to this soon!

Take care and thanks!
~Cleo Read.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_bombadil1247_*
post Jul 27 10, 08:32
Post #15

Hi, Lori,

I have read this through a few times and can't see where any further improvements can be made and still stay true to the challenge.

Taking Frost's 'Acquainted with the Night' poem below, create your own using the same end words. The words are: night, rain, light, lane, beat, explain, feet, cry, street, good-bye, height, sky, right, night.

It is a strong response, and does meet those requirements admirably. That said, If you substituted a couple of 'your' words in appropriate places - eg 'beat' could be improved on, I think -it would give you the freedom to really develop this.
Jim

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 27 10, 11:51
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Jim, wave.gif

Thanks for stopping by! One of the things I like about the challenges is the freedom you can explore once the initial response has been penned. writersblock.gif Now that I've met the rules of the challenge (in Karnak), I could edit some of those end words to better fit my message - especially 'beat' as that one I find hard to fit in.

I'll mull this one over and see if other words better match the feel and message...

Cheers
~Cleo eowyn.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_bombadil1247_*
post Jul 27 10, 11:55
Post #17

Look forward to it, but beware the terza, it's very addictive, margarita.gif
jim

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:11

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: