Arnfinn
post Jul 28 06, 03:00
Post #1

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17
Writer of: Poetry

The Oodnadatta Track is a South Australian gravel road that runs from Marree in the South East, via William Creek and Oodnadatta to Marla in the North West; a distance 625 km. The road closely follows the old Ghan railway line that ran between Adelaide and Alice Springs. If you venture onto the track you’ll cross one river and ford sixteen creeks (usually dry), the area is dotted with mound springs and artesian bores and is the tribal land of the Diyari, this part of Australia figures significantly in Aboriginal history and mythology. The journey along the Oodnadatta Track takes about three days.
Oodnadatta or ‘Utnadata’ is an Aboriginal name for (blossom of the Mulga)

Revision

Oodnadatta Track

Sunrise gold: splashed yellow epidermis
along the ‘V’ through the screen—
hot tongues; earth sucked dry heat-waves,
soil compacted by rubber rasps.
The ancestral land of Diyari,
each breath of wind— exposed.
Fluttered vagabond spirits, dance in heat—
depart as corkscrewed outpourings behind
treads.

hot tongues; earth sucked dry heat-waves,
each breath of wind— exposed. Fluttered
vagabond spirits, dance in the heat—depart as
corkscrewed outpourings behind treads.

Arnfinn

John Macleod © July 28, 2006

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
JLY
post Jul 28 06, 06:49
Post #2

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Member No.: 39
Referred By:Larry Carr

John,
First all of, thank you for providing a mini-travelogue glimpse of a part of your country I am not familiar with......I don't know what I enjoyed more...your narrative introduction or the actual poem.....

I really can't find any thing to crit; it's enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed this image:

corkscrewed outpourings

I only ask, that you follow-up with some more scenic renderings of your homeland.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Jul 28 06, 09:20
Post #3

Hi John,

Beautiful imagery! (Thanks for the explanation at the top BTW)

hot tongues; earth suck[s]{ed} dry heat-waves,
soil compacted by rubber rasps. What are 'rubber rasps'?

I especially like the imagery in the last two lines. I can easily imagine ghostly figures dancing on the equally ghostly heat-waves. Thanks for the peek into Australia!

Cathy

Arnfinn
post Jul 29 06, 01:58
Post #4

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

QUOTE(JLY @ Jul 28 06, 11:49 ) [snapback]79745[/snapback]
John,
First all of, thank you for providing a mini-travelogue glimpse of a part of your country I am not familiar with......I don't know what I enjoyed more...your narrative introduction or the actual poem.....

I really can't find any thing to crit; it's enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed this image:

corkscrewed outpourings

I only ask, that you follow-up with some more scenic renderings of your homeland.

JLY

G'day John,

Thanks for the kind words mate. I'll see what I can do. pharoah2.gif

John troy.gif unclesam.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 29 06, 02:17
Post #5

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cathy @ Jul 28 06, 14:20 ) [snapback]79758[/snapback]
Hi John,

Beautiful imagery! (Thanks for the explanation at the top BTW)

hot tongues; earth suck[s]{ed} dry heat-waves,
soil compacted by rubber rasps. What are 'rubber rasps'?

I especially like the imagery in the last two lines. I can easily imagine ghostly figures dancing on the equally ghostly heat-waves. Thanks for the peek into Australia!

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

Rubber rasps- 'tyre treads'. 4 wheel drives running over the road have dust outpourings behind each tread, the treads on the tyres work like rasps digging, compacting and dislodging material between the treads. gromit.gif

Got me tense mixed up again ed,s, I'll have to amend.

Thank you for your nice comments.

John troy.gif gardener.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jul 29 06, 05:55
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

G'day, John...

and I second North Jersey neighbor John's request... and thank you for explaining rubber rasps. Now it makes sense.

Could you also explain the image of V through the screen; my visual screen is blank on that one. detective.gif

deLightin' in your travelogue, Daniel cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 29 06, 20:58
Post #7

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

QUOTE(JustDaniel @ Jul 29 06, 10:55 ) [snapback]79845[/snapback]
G'day, John...

and I second John's North Jersey neighbor John's request... and thank you for explaining rubber rasps. Now it makes sense.

Could you also explain the image of V through the screen; my visual screen is blank on that one. detective.gif

deLightin' in your travelogue, Daniel cheer.gif

G'day Daniel, wave.gif

In a lot of places the 'Track' is dead straight, so when looking through the windscreen of your vehicle the road becomes an inverted '^' with the apex a dot on the horizon.

I've included a web site that tells all about the 'The Track'. pharoah2.gif

http://www.mynrma.com.au/outback_tracks_ood.asp

You will notice the first picture is a perfect example of looking through the 'v'.

Regards,

John troy.gif vic.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jul 29 06, 21:21
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Aha!!! Windscreen = our windshield. If I had understood THAT, I may have been able to grasp the inverted V. Now it is abundantly clear and indeed apt! Thank you not only for the explanation but for the wonderful travelogue site of the whole Track!

deLighting in this new peek into a part of Australia totally unknown to me, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 30 06, 15:04
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi John. troy.gif

I enjoyed my travels with you in the desert outback! detective.gif

I also very much enjoyed the imagery of 'corkscrewed outpourings' of the path as the wind swoops them up after the tires go on over the dirt.

along the ‘V’ through the screen— (Excellent visual John!)
hot tongues; earth suckes dry heat-waves, (typo: sucked)
each breath of wind— exposed. (shift fluttered down)
Fluttered vagabond spirits, dance in the heat—
depart as corkscrewed outpourings behind treads.

Well done and welcome back! How are those critters - gone now I trust? prescription.gif

~Cleo mm.gif mm.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 31 06, 00:01
Post #10

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

QUOTE(JustDaniel @ Jul 30 06, 02:21 ) [snapback]79925[/snapback]
Aha!!! Windscreen = our windshield. If I had understood THAT, I may have been able to grasp the inverted V. Now it is abundantly clear and indeed apt! Thank you not only for the explanation but for the wonderful travelogue site of the whole Track!

deLighting in this new peek into a part of Australia totally unknown to me, Daniel sun.gif

Hi Daniel,

Funny about the English language and USA. Especially in reference to motor vehicles. E, bonnet A, hood<<< You can see the similarity (both headware). E, boot A, trunk<<< Once again, well not much similarity. E, windscreen A, windshield<<<And again. pharoah2.gif

Sorry about the confusion.

John troy.gif vic.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 31 06, 00:19
Post #11

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cleo_Serapis @ Jul 30 06, 20:04 ) [snapback]80000[/snapback]
Hi John. troy.gif

I enjoyed my travels with you in the desert outback! detective.gif

I also very much enjoyed the imagery of 'corkscrewed outpourings' of the path as the wind swoops them up after the tires go on over the dirt.

along the ‘V’ through the screen— (Excellent visual John!)
hot tongues; earth suckes dry heat-waves, (typo: sucked)
each breath of wind— exposed. (shift fluttered down)
Fluttered vagabond spirits, dance in the heat—
depart as corkscrewed outpourings behind treads.

Well done and welcome back! How are those critters - gone now I trust? prescription.gif

~Cleo mm.gif mm.gif

Hi Lori,

Glad a peep into Central Australia was to your liking. kitty.gif gromit.gif

Yeah, I'll make some changes, I like the idea about fluttered. I originally had sucked; Cathy reminded me that sucked was past tense and advised me to change to sucks, well I got it half right. unicorn.gif

Yeah, I'm feeling good, Lori. Last Monday they whipped me Gall bladder out n' fixed me hernia. Went to the hospital taday n' they pulled all me staples out. pharoah2.gif Me surgeon told me everything is OK. Me other problems going well as can be expected. pharoah2.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 15 06, 18:09
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

QUOTE(Arnfinn @ Jul 31 06, 01:19 ) [snapback]80029[/snapback]
Hi Lori,

Glad a peep into Central Australia was to your liking. kitty.gif gromit.gif

Yeah, I'll make some changes, I like the idea about fluttered. I originally had sucked; Cathy reminded me that sucked was past tense and advised me to change to sucks, well I got it half right. unicorn.gif

Yeah, I'm feeling good, Lori. Last Monday they whipped me Gall bladder out n' fixed me hernia. Went to the hospital taday n' they pulled all me staples out. pharoah2.gif Me surgeon told me everything is OK. Me other problems going well as can be expected. pharoah2.gif

Hiya John. wave.gif

I like the subtle changes here - do you remember the date you made the revision? nicerev.gif

Glad to hear you are doing well! prescription.gif Scars are ok - the skin will heal and you'll be back with a vengeance!

HUGS dance.gif
~Cleo Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 03:30

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: