Arnfinn
post Feb 21 05, 01:16
Post #1

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17
Writer of: Poetry

Fo-Hi the mythical founder of the Chinese Empire is said to have introduced cattle-rearing, instituted marriage, and invented letters.

Fo-Hi

Fo-Hi the mythical squire
of a Chinese Empire; set sail
to a fiddle-de-dee. On a junket cruise
of yellow toned blues: deftly dancing
in a dingle dongle sea.

His junk had flanks
of emerald planks his jewel
chest a broad double ‘E.’ The deck shone
bright  with a ruby red light red rayed by
the moons perigee.

The peridot crew drank
a confused herb brew the colour
of green China tea. With glasses held high
many toasted  Fo-Hi as they sailed along
merrily.

To the air of chong-chong
in a knotted song; flapped matting
sails fancy free. Blunt bow, yo-yoed
as the waters flowed embroiled in a white
fricassee.

Fo strode the deck
in a pyjama check of shantung
fired finery. On his neck a pigtail
with a bow tied frail-- of double ‘O’ rippled
pongee.

On a floor oblong
the crew took to mah-jong:
piling tiles of history. Fo mingled with glee
on elbow and knee to get an oriental slant
on things you see.

With the port in view
they raised a singing ‘Wha Hoo’
and smiled a smile inscrutably. Then each
bowed ‘ah so’ for twas time to go, for
chopsticks and a Chinese tea.

Fiddle-de-dee, fiddle-de-dee, fiddle-faddle,
fiddle-de-dee.

Arnfinn

This is the tale of one evening when Fo-Hi and his crew went for a spin in his luxurious junk. They arrived at there homeport the next day after playing bingo styled mah-jong

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
JustDaniel
post Feb 21 05, 04:15
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Hey, Arn...

the lightness of this is titillating, and the internal rhyme is fascinating.  Your words float through the waters of this journey as on an air-boat.  I'd like to know more about what prompted this, and what of the story is "real" and what is pure fancy.

I found no particular rhyme scheme or metrical pattern in this, yet your middle and end rhymes are always there, so if there is a pattern, it is masterfully hidden with your free verse line breaks.

Again, I'm fascinated with this piece!

needin' Light, Daniel  :sun:

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 21 05, 04:25
Post #3

Hi Arnie,

On a first read this feels like a cross between the Jumblies and The Owl and the Pussycat - it swooshes across the waters merrily: great pace and rhythm.

Fran

Cybele
post Feb 21 05, 08:03
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

G'day Arn,   :block:

Honalable Fo Hi one velly happy chappie saillie junkee, crad in pongee silkee lobee, long queue falling down backee, happily playing mah jong chippy-chippy soun, velly musical.  sings.gif

Him get home latey nex morning, wifee choppy-choppy him queue. cut him wings no flyee away with family jewels not likely - clikey!

Glate fun Master! Tledding gently  - no teary ricepaper Glasshopper.

Yer mucker from upover.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Feb 23 05, 04:20
Post #5

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Hi Daniel,

The poem is pure fantasy Daniel. Fo-Hi pronounced [for-hee] was supposed to be founder of the first Chinese Empire circa 3000BC.

The story of his birth. Hiis mother, Moy'e, was walking one day along a river bank, when she became suddenly encircled by a rainbow, and at the end of twelve years was the mother of a son. During the gestation (a record) she dreamed she was pregnant with a white elephant, hence the honours that the Chinese pay to this animal.

The story of Fo's birth would make a good poem I think, and I imagine many a Chinese  person could elaborate on my short note on Fo.

Glad you liked the poem Daniel.

Appreciated,

Arnie troy.gif  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Feb 23 05, 04:30
Post #6

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Hi Fran,

Your correct Fran there is a bit of a sing-song Guitar.gif O&P feel.to Fo's sea adventure.

Glad to have you onboard.

Best wishes.

Arnie  :troy:  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Feb 23 05, 04:43
Post #7

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Tou-ch'e Grace,

I've been a bit boisterous in your threads of late, which detracts from your skill as a poet.

All unintentional of course.

You have my apology.

I've taken you message onboard re the Chinese lingo. Wizard.gif

Every word you wrote was perfectly interpreted.

Well done.

Regards,

Arnie troy.gif  :troy:  :troy:  :wizard:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Feb 23 05, 09:23
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Good afternoon Arnie  troy.gif

(It's me with my serious head on.)

I've been a bit boisterous in your threads of late, which detracts from your skill as a poet.

All unintentional of course.

You have my apology.

I've taken you message onboard re the Chinese lingo.

There was no message intended Arnie

Every word you wrote was perfectly interpreted.

Well done.

Touche to you to Arnie, I had no intention of casting aspersions on your poem  as you know. You also know that I am an admirer of your skill at poetry and eagerly await each one you post.  You just happen to be one of those people who bring out the imp in me and I truly enjoy our bantering. You can banter on my tiles to your heart's content my friend. dance.gif  dance.gif

This poem really caught my imagination. I spent 7 years in the far east and am very interested in Chinese history. I have read quite a few books about China from about the 4th century AD onwards, and would love to read many more.
If you have any specific recommendations to offer, I would be delighted
to hear from you John.

From your mucker up over.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Feb 24 05, 05:36
Post #9

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Ha Grace,

Thanks for the comfeeting words Cob, sometimes I get carried away and smother a thread, which is not fair to the artiste in residence, methinks. I appreciate your friendship. To the Chinese--I''m in the same boat as you, I'm interested to learn, and Chinese mythology would fit right into MM. But, English literature is not impressed by China. I feed into Google C/ L and get a smattering of small paragraphs. Plenty of stuff going this awaya
a
a
ta
a
aa
xs
which is in all Chinese.In the 'tool' section of the taskbar there's 'translate page' but I'm frightened to use it.

In 1951 when I was 13 my aunt gave me an encyclopedia. 'The Great Encyclopaedia of Universal Knowledge.' This is where I found Fo-Hi. Good old Aunt Lizzie.
'A toast'

Cheers my friend.

Arnie   troy.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Feb 24 05, 16:38
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Hello Arnie,  :troy:

I''m in the same boat as you, I'm interested to learn, and Chinese mythology would fit right into MM.

Me too, John. I'll have a mooch around when I get the chance and see if I can find a good site. Any luck and I'll send you the URL.  :hsdance:

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 26 05, 19:14
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Arnie the FIIIIINNNNNN is here!  troy.gif  troy.gif  troy.gif

This is a great piece John and I learned of someone knew (and old) as well! What a wonderful day!  sun.gif

I need to digest this one further tomorrow and will be back soon with more feedback. :termie:

Nice rhythms - one Q: Did you want to add punctuation (commas) as pauses or were you intent on leaving them out?  detective.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Feb 27 05, 01:05
Post #12

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Hi Lori,

Chinese mythology, to me, seems a very interesting subject. There must be Uni's that have a doctorate seat of study in this subject.
I've failed to get anywhere with my searches?

Funny about punctuation. I've got reference books about P, when I sit down with a poem i've written and spend an afternoon with a book, I can get things done not too bad. Then again, I know poets who only use periods, and others use no periods. Their poems are written so well, that, the reader pauses naturally.

Oh well Lori, I suppose I'm lucky to be part of MM. That way, my friends help me to realise my deficiencies. I suppose you either fully punctuate or use none at all.  

grinning.gif

Hope your holiday break was benificial Lori. wave.gif

Arniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii the F troy.gif  :troy:

Hey I just realised, these little fella's Frodo  Frodo  Gandalf  Gandalf  Gimli  Gimli

troy.gif  :troy:  :troy:  :troy:  :grinning:  :grinning:  :grinning:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2024 - 21:18

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: