IPB
16 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Room 101, banter
Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 29 05, 07:55
Post #1

Hi everyone,

It's a damp grey winter's day here in gridlocked Great (not any more) Britain ...

What really winds you up?  Wall.gif

What would you like to see disappear forever?   wave.gif

This is the thread for you to dispose of everything you hate most (but please, keep it friendly, light-hearted and follow the usual MM rules! ).

We played a version of this on BBC Get Writing (thanks, K! If you happen to visit MM) and my first post included 'missue of Room 101' in things that annoy me: I know it's whatever you fear most in Orwell's 1984, but we'll stick with the TV version to purge our spirits here.

Let's start with just THREE things that you hate (and reasons, if you have time).

And you can post another three things three days after your first post.
pharoah2.gif

Fran  :yoda:
===============================================

James has sensibly (?) reminded me that I can edit this and so I can try to keep track of everything that is consigned to oblivion:

(I've given up trying to work out who put what in - too much discussion)  wave.gif

cold weather
people who talk behind one's back
hatred
meetings that stop people doing their actual job
meetings that go on all day
winter
snow
rudeness/aggressivness
football (Soccer)
rap music
the European Union as an organisation
Co-op "Six deep-filled mince pies"
celebrity culture
grey-out weather
instant coffee
public transport that doesn't run on time
bullying
non-constructive criticism
telephone menu systems
dog poo
peer pressure
milk
housework
mushy peas
February
Fran's own memory
people who park on double yellow lines
telephone telesales recordings
lego
the guy who plumbed Fran's house and his plumbing
spiders
tipping everyone in the USA (pay proper wages)
religious fundamentalists
Perry's electrical power supplier
dust
coca cola
shed cat fur
mosquitoes
manufactured teen pop groups
mayonaise
Robert Kilroy Silk
the UK ban on co-proximol
certain software
politics in sport
decaff coffee
long school vacations
TV news (depressing)
jelly beans
pit bull terriers
Anne Robinson
carbonated 'beer'
tasteless strawberries
tasteless tomatoes
irresponsible citizenship
working extra hours just to "keep up" with the load
not enough time off to enjoy life
getting nominated to organize a (cancelled) baby shower
boondoggle/scooby doo
intollerence
taffic police with no brains
people who deposit chewing gum on pavements
drivers who don't indicate
drivers who don't use headlights in bad weather
tripe
people who promise to ring back and then don't
skinny women who swear they eat chocolate and don't get fat
parents who saddle their children with ridiculous names
Horizon (BBC TV program)
helicopters that buzz houses
mice
spiders (again)
God botherers
Festering (instead of talking about the issue at the onset of the fester)
Accusations (accusing someone of something with little to no fact behind it)
Not Fessing Up - when the accusations are inaccurate
calling emergency services (911/999) for non-emergencies
child abuse
politicians who spend on political campaigns instead of things that matter

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 29 05, 08:29
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

I'll bite Fran!  wolf.gif

Neat idea for a chat too!  dance.gif

What is annoying you most?  
Today - I would say the cold weather as it is only 3º here and has been for over a week. BRRRHHHHHHHH!  Snowman.gif  

What really winds you up?
Hmmmm - I can't think of anything at the moment? In general, people who talk behind my back instead of to me directly.  

What would you like to see disappear forever?  
In a word: HATRED (like your poem title Fran)...

Cheers!
Cleo  sings.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 29 05, 09:44
Post #3

Hi, well done Fran.

ROFL!! Lori means the topic of your poem - not the poem itself! :)... Oh yes and I don't think she intends to bite you either. Lori - don't do any writing today! Not your day with words :)

OK, Yes I met this on BBCGW, too...

1 Hatred - thanks Lori

2 Rudeness / Aggressiveness (Similar in my opinion). I enjoy arguing very forcible but I hope I'm not aggressive. If I am I'm sorry.

3 Football (Soccer)... well I have no problems with others enjoying it but I am fed up having to listen reports of matches and scores on radio and tv just because I'm waiting for the cricket reports and scores to come on.

Now, if I have to wait three days it'll be another 2,300 years before I finish this first list. Grump. Grump. :) [Three days is a good idea, actually, Fran].

James.

Guest_Nina_*
post Jan 29 05, 11:53
Post #4

Hi

Interesting thread Fran.  I'll have a go

What is annoying you most?

Nothing much is annoying me at the moment.  I could be unoriginal and say hatred but maybe I will come back to this later.

What really winds you up?

Public transport that doesn't run to the given timetable.  Why is it  that buses get lonely on their own and have to "hunt" in pairs.  Meanwhile customers are kept standing in the freezing cold for 20 minutes or so and then 2 come together.

What would you like to see disappear forever?

All forms of bullying

Nina

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 29 05, 12:38
Post #5

A great start - sorting out the world already.

Okay, here are my first three:

1) Mushy peas. Do I have to explain? I'm sure they glow in the dark, that slimy viscous green is so fluorescent. I was forced to eat them for school dinners and won't even stay in the same room with them now.

2) February. I've had enough winter. Let's start March next week, with the daffodils and primroses. Valentine's day can be some other time (July would be nice - romantic punting on the river) and anyone with a February birthday may pick the alternative date of their choice to get older.

3) My memory. It vanishes for a pastime anyway, so if it's locked into 101 at least I'd know where to find it again.

Thank you.

That feels so much better now.

Fran elf.gif

Guest_Nina_*
post Jan 29 05, 12:46
Post #6

Hi Fran

not sure if this game allows comments or not, but I cannot resist.

Mushy peas. Do I have to explain? I'm sure they glow in the dark, that slimy viscous green is so fluorescent. I was forced to eat them for school dinners and won't even stay in the same room with them now.

I'm with you on mushy peas.  Also school dinners (and dinner ladies) have a lot to answer for.  I can't stay in the same room as rice pudding because of being forced to eat it at school.

Nina

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 29 05, 13:11
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

GROSS!

Mushy peas? YUCK! I like my peas sweet, a tad crunchy and fresh!

hal.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 29 05, 13:22
Post #8

Hi all,

Fran simply doesn't properly appreciate the Northern England delicasy of Mushy Peas. Take one portion of marrowfat peas (not petitpois or ordinary garden peas, if possible). Add Bicarbonate of Soda and allow to mush. Eat with Fish & Chips (the UK national dish before Tikka Masala took over) and enjoy. The lass has no appreciation at all.

Me? What do I think of them? I think they are possibly the most vile food I can think of.

Nina - there's no escape - School rice puddings are able to chase refusniks and envelop them in a starchy slime. Shudder! (Just wait until the peas and rice get together).

Fran - if it feels so much better why have you put a mushy pea image at the bottom of your post?

Lori's using my new HAL symbol - and neither of us even work for IBM... strange!

James.

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 29 05, 13:50
Post #9

James,
That is the colour I go merely thinking of mushy peas - as demonstrated by my elfy alter-ego. My own ears are not quite so pointy. elf.gif

Nina,
Of course comments are allowed - this is a thread specially for banter, argument and wordplay. Discarded items can be serious or silly, but the more discussion the better.  :pharoah2

Fran

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 29 05, 14:06
Post #10

Right, James and Nina:
Cleo got to HATRED first (very flattering - I do have a cosy effect on people) so you two may each have another item if you wish.

Cleo,
Is that affectionate biting, or aggression? Can't be the latter, coz that's already vanished into the depths, so I think I'm safe, albeit rather confused.

Nina,
If you dispose of public transport that doesn't run on time, there's not going to be any public transport left, is there?

Fran elf.gif

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 29 05, 14:55
Post #11

Gosh, thanks Fran...

This is like a chocolate assortment box - which next?

I'm tempted to put bullying in - especially as I used to deal with it but Nina mentioned that so I'll leave it for her.

So...

Rap Music.

Can't stand the rhythm - I'm not used to them, see and this is TOO obvious. Having said that, I've written a very bad rap poem. Might post it one day to horrify all.

James.

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 29 05, 15:28
Post #12

Hi James,

So the Queen-inspired lyrics are merely a warm up for your rap session? Is there such a thing as a very good rap poem? Now we will never know: they have all gone into room 101 - so you can't post it - sorry, James. elf.gif

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 29 05, 15:34
Post #13

Ah!!! Not so fast Ms Toumai!!

'Tis Rap MUSIC which has been placed in R101; not Rap Poetry - so I can still post!

Ha ha ha hah ha!!!!

James.

Guest_Nina_*
post Jan 29 05, 16:12
Post #14

Hi James

I don't like rap music either.  Trouble is, I have to hear a lot of it on the music channels and kiss fm, thanks to my daughters.  
Funnily enough I posted a poem about anger on GW and one of the replies I got said it would make a good rap.  Perhaps we will have to compare rap poems James.

On my list of books to read is Benjamin Zephaniah's latest book aimed at teenagers- Gangsta Rap

Fran - I hadn't planned to get rid of all transport that doesn't run on time.  Maybe just the people who control it.

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 29 05, 16:48
Post #15

Nina, Hi...

I have a couple of BZ's books and I've posted some info about him here on MM - under famous writers. Brill poet (though I don't know his latest).

I love radio but, having no children, I move between BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 3 with a little Classic FM thrown in (but I hate the adverts). At home, I listen to BBC Radio 7 on Freeview, too. Sometimes I do venture into BBC Radio 2

I'd make a very bad parent - they'd have to use headphones if they wanted to listen to those stations!

For those elsewhere:

BBC Radio 2 - light pop - 1950s-90s mainly
BBC Radio 3 - Classical / Early / World / Jazz
BBC Radio 4 - High Quality Talk, Drama, Comedy, Politics
BBC Radio 7 - Repeats of Drama and Comedy (a digital station only)

Freeview - a "free" way to receive UK digital tv and radio.

Classic FM - an independent Classic Music station - the only station of those listed which has to carry adverts to exist.

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 29 05, 17:32
Post #16

Hi James,

Ah!!! Not so fast Ms Toumai!!
'Tis Rap MUSIC which has been placed in R101; not Rap Poetry - so I can still post!
Ha ha ha hah ha!!!!

Ah well, at least you didn't start off by saying 'Hi T' (high tea?), so I guess you can keep your rap as long as it is really poetic ... erm.

Hi Nina,

Fran - I hadn't planned to get rid of all transport that doesn't run on time.  Maybe just the people who control it.

Just as well, or you'd never make it to the MM Brits get-together.  :pharoah2

Right, I'll be back in the morning to see if there's anything new waiting outside the 101 door.

Guest_Perrorist_*
post Jan 30 05, 15:04
Post #17

Fran

Here are three of my pet hates:
[*]Tipping everybody in the US (why don't they pay proper wages?). It's undignified for the tipper and tippee.
[*]Rap music.
[*]Religious fundamentalists.

Perry

Guest_Toumai_*
post Jan 30 05, 15:56
Post #18

Hi Perry,

The world would be much a better place if everyone got paid properly. Except the fundamentalists, who would be paid pro rata by the miracle.

James has already intered rap music (see the first post for a list of who hates what) and so you may pick something else to add to your list.

Ta.
Fran  :elf:

Guest_JohnK_*
post Jan 31 05, 03:14
Post #19

Oooh, listing pet hates.  One of my favourite hobbies.  The only difficulty is narrowing it down to three. wink.gif

Well, a number of my pet hates have been listed already (football being one). So I'm going to go for:

1. WestBoyLifeGirlsZoneSpiceSayThat - in other words, all those vanilla, manufactured, irritating, minimally talented pop bands and stars who either endlessly recycle cliches as an excuse for lyrics or utterly ruin perfectly good songs by covering them.  I call dibs on throwing Robbie Williams into Room 101.  Down some stairs.

2. Mayonnaise.  Why must they put it into nearly every pre-prepared sandwich you can buy?  Why?  Why?  Surely it is the devil's work!

3. Robert Kilroy-Silk.  This requires no explanation.

I wanted to put smoking in there, but smokers are having a pretty hard time over here already.  Har har hsdance.gif

What fun.  Spleen-venting on a Monday morning.  Thanks :)

John

Guest_Jox_*
post Jan 31 05, 03:41
Post #20

Hi JohnK,

Sorry but you'll have to wait another three days to put Robbie Williams in - you've had your three! Which is excellent for me because I'm a big fan of his so I have those three days to stash as much of his stuff away as possible. (I know he came from a boy band - but they split up before you 101'd boy bands, so Williams is ok. Do you really think he's not an excellent singer? Oh well...

Now, you mentioned smoking but you have another problem - Spleen-Venting.

Under the EU Dictative 2005/1/b(64)sec 4.6 (sub sec2.1) B.O.N.K.E.R.S. Regulations, all spleens now have to have special external-venting kits fitted. This can be expensive and does tend to make throwing things (e.g. into 101) rather difficult. May I suggest that you don't actually ventilate your spleen but, instead, use the old fashioned British system of complaining about the weather?

James.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

16 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2024 - 16:00

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: