Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
> 'Short Rondeau', (Corrected) ~ Thanks, Merlin!
JustDaniel
post May 7 13, 10:16
Post #101

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Merlin has introduced us to what we will call 'short rondeau' by quoting a piece by James Henry Leigh Hunt:

Jenny Kissed Me

Jenny kissed me when we met,
Jumping from the chair she sat in;
Time, you thief, who love to get
Sweets into your list, put that in!
Say I'm weary, say I'm sad,
Say that health and wealth have missed me,
Say I'm growing old, but add,
Jenny kissed me.

- James Henry Leigh Hunt

Simply by observation, I conclude that the specific meter of each line is probably up to the writer, so long as the metrical pattern continues throughout the poem up to the concluding phrase (a repetition of the opening segment of the first line) and that the rhyme pattern is as follows:
A
b
a
b

c
d
c
R of A (d)

Note: previously we'd not recognized that L6 should rhyme with the closing fragment ( 'rentrement' ) A

Since Merlin offered this comment when he referred to Hunt's poem:

Global warming has finally arrived in my region, so I'll most likely be away from the keyboard much of the time, getting my fix of vitamin SUN!

Merlin

... I found it necessary to challenge his 'lame excuse' (tongue-in-cheek, of course) with my own very first 'short rondeau' fashioned after his example:

Merlin's Hiding

Merlin's hiding in the sun --

saying that he'll do no writing?

Time, you thief, you get it done --

use that laptop you've been slighting.

We are weary; no excuse!

Say no more your health's dividing.

Lounging there on his caboose

Merlin's hiding.

© MLee Dickens'son 2013

correction: L6 previously: Say no more your health prevent's it.

We hope that y'all will give the form a try yourself!

deLighting in the prospect, Daniel
sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- JustDaniel   'Short Rondeau'   May 7 13, 10:16
- - Larry   Friendship “Too much to show?”, it doesn’t take ...   Oct 31 17, 23:22
- - JustDaniel   snow big deal To fall like dreams, a snowflake dr...   Nov 1 17, 14:51
- - Larry   salty advice The crystal white beneath the snow i...   Nov 4 17, 22:33
- - JustDaniel   Ready to Eat The salt that spills beneath your fe...   Nov 9 17, 13:35
- - Larry   diss 'em in ate Before your luncheonette you ...   Nov 10 17, 19:16
- - JustDaniel   Time to Eat Crow To bring them down to dinner, yo...   Nov 14 17, 13:06
- - Larry   effort less You must become a better man to be su...   Nov 15 17, 14:16
- - JustDaniel   A Wood-be Brute A two-by-four's among the bes...   Nov 16 17, 23:17
- - Larry   dance card You probably would not endorse a game ...   Nov 18 17, 15:13
- - JustDaniel   You Think I'm Kind? I'm not that kind who...   Nov 19 17, 13:49
- - Larry   good sport I’ll hit them back if they land in the...   Nov 20 17, 23:12
- - Larry   the game To play the game, one practices each mov...   Feb 1 18, 12:32
- - Larry   To play the game of short rondeau one must be quic...   Mar 9 18, 15:50
- - JustDaniel   One doesn't have to follow on with all the wor...   Apr 28 18, 10:02
- - Larry   Gent-ly One doesn’t have to be told twice of a mi...   Apr 29 18, 22:26
- - Larry   Your fragile thong will never burst for front and ...   Jun 14 18, 18:47
- - JustDaniel   I think I'm missing something here, Larry. I ...   Jun 15 18, 05:48
- - Larry   Hi Daniel, If you will remember, in the “Ode to a...   Jun 15 18, 22:46
2 Pages V  < 1 2

8 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 22:27

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: