> Hi, all!
mayo
post May 17 09, 20:39
Post #1

Babylonian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 801
Writer of: Poetry

I am just trying to figure out the workings of this site. I am a quick study so I hope I find my way around sooner than later.

I write poetry. I often write in first person, but I rarely write confessional poetry. I use my poems to try to touch the heart of things, the truth perhaps. Because I write stories not biographies I am not injured by any form of critique. Often my poetry has multiple meanings and I welcome readers to come to their own conclusions. I like odd words and peculiar happenings.

I am a trained philosopher. I believe that one of the ways that we access Truth is through poetry, as well as art and music, along with other things. Poetry condenses what is at the heart of things. One day I hope to write something that contains that universal truth, and if I don't I will have had fun along the way.

I will happily comment freely on others' work, but I am happy to be wrong when I am. Let me know if I have misunderstood something.

I am hoping to find a place to further hone my poetic voice. I have been happy on other sites, but I feel a need to new eyes and opinions.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post May 18 09, 05:47
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello Mary and welcome to MM! Newbie.gif PartyFavor.gif Balloons.gif

As I just mentioned to Jeanne and Antonio (two other newbies to MM), here at MM, we offer honest, yet friendly feedback in our workshopping forums. I will enjoy reading your 'first person' poetry - keep in mind, readers will naturally assume the content is about yourself though (which makes for great conversations). sun.gif I also enjoy looking for multi-meanings in poetry and often write in the same fashion as well with my own work - although my muse has been AWOL for several months now.

The level of critique varies from member to member based on their individual goals. It can take some time to get to know each other and what is being sought. Please do wander our halls, take in our colorful 'tiles' and join in the fun.

If you would be so kind, would you care to share a bit of your writing goals with us? What can we do to help? I hope you will find MM your new home!

Please let us know if you need any guidance navigating the site or with our participation rules or other goodies we offer.

Welcome!
~Cleo/Lori Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

mayo
post May 19 09, 05:53
Post #3

Babylonian

Thank you for the welcome. I am curious as to how often the forums are actually used? And which one might be used more than others. I have seen very little movement in the past couple days. Are there better times to come to the site than others?

Cleo_Serapis
post May 19 09, 07:17
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Mary.

We seem to have high and low periods. I'd say we're in a moderate period at the moment. I personally haven't been too active since January due to personal issues and am just now getting ready to get back into the swing of things here on site. As strange as this sounds, pretty much all of our staff has had health and/or other personal issues to work through which has limited our online time. We're trying to be as active as time and schedules allow.

To answer your question, I think generally the weekends are busier here and the evening hours/early morning hours since we have members from around the world (different time zones). The most active forums are our two poetry critique forums, Herme's Homilies (fixed forms) and Seren's Synapse (free verse) followed by our challenge forums, The Acropolis (weekly challenges) and Pandora's Box (monthly challenges).

I can run some board stats to confirm and reply back again later this evening.
Cheers
~Lori galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 19 09, 08:12
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Ok - a quick stats update:

In Feb - we had 41 new topics posted
in Mar - the number is 74
in Apr - the number is 73
and in May so far, we have 59.

For the same period our 'post' stats (exclude New topics) - posts are replies...
In Feb - we had 266 posts
in Mar - the number is 510
in Apr - the number is 449
and in May so far, we have 341.

We are steady and on the rise this month.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

mayo
post May 19 09, 09:04
Post #6

Babylonian

Thank you for the detailed response.

Cleo_Serapis
post May 19 09, 09:25
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

You're most welcome!

Hope to offer feedback on your poem in the next few days.

At work so gonna running.gif for now!
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_ohsteve_*
post May 19 09, 15:16
Post #8

Mayo, or is it Mary? Welcome to MM, I am one of the staff here. I post a lot in the free verse section. I do hope you enjoy it here at MM. I am one of those that has health problems and have been absent a lot and maybe a lot in the future, I never know from day to day. I hope that if you have problems don't hesitate to ask. I used to post at a lot of different places, but now it is mostly here as I just dont have the time or energy to do more. I will go read some of your writing and hopefull at least comment there. Again most welcome.
Steve

Arnfinn
post May 20 09, 06:06
Post #9

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17

G'day. Mary,

Mate, the Earths flat.

We are all suffering from deflation.

And that's why, people turn to poetry for expression, to fill the surroundings with hot air and inflate the atmosphere with knowledge, to get things on an even keel again.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo. Welcome. minniemouse.gif pinkpanther.gif rose.gif

John. troy.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Maggie
post May 20 09, 07:45
Post #10

Greek

Member No.: 185
Referred By:just wandered in

Hi mayo,

And a warm welcome from me too. I'm a bit of a newbie and somewhat a novice here. I hope you enjoy the site as much as I do. There are some very gifted and talented poets here as well as friendly and helpful ones as well.

I look forward to reading your work!!!

Again, welcome!!! rollerskater.gif rollerskater.gif rollerskater.gif rollerskater.gif rollerskater.gif

Peggy

·······IPB·······

mayo
post May 20 09, 08:57
Post #11

Babylonian

thank you all for the welcome. And for the record it is Mayo.

JLY
post May 21 09, 05:47
Post #12

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Referred By:Larry Carr

Mayo,
Welcome. Many of us here find solace and comfort and MM is a refuge from the realities of everyday stress of health issues, family problems and the sinking economy.

You will find that everyone's goal is mutual in that we try to improve our craft through positive encouragement and straightforward comments.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

MM Award Winner

mayo
post May 21 09, 11:26
Post #13

Babylonian

Thank you, JLY, for the welcome.

Sekhmet
post May 23 09, 01:51
Post #14

Greek

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 754
Referred By:No one at all

Good morning Mayo - I would like to welcome you to Mosaic Musings.
Naturally, you will look around, and decide whether this site is for you - or not; but as a relative newcomer, I have found the criticisms and suggestions to be thoughtful, and honest.
If something doesn't work - you will be told - but with the reasons clearly explained.
This is not the largest poetry site around - but all the members treat the making of poetry with a certain amount of seriousness, leavened with great good humour.
We hope to see a selection of your work when you have found an area that will suit your style.
Leo
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Flower_Welcome.bmp ( 1.06K ) Number of downloads: 4
Attached File  Flower_Welcome.bmp ( 1.06K ) Number of downloads: 2

·······IPB·······

mayo
post May 23 09, 09:58
Post #15

Babylonian

Thank you, Leo. I am looking forward to learning the many voices here.

Psyche
post May 28 09, 12:16
Post #16

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Mayo,
It's a bit late to be welcoming you over here in 'Introduce Yourself?, but sometimes I prefer to go straight to the forums and see new poets' work, without knowing anything about them. It's also faster for me, since I have some problems not worth mentioning now.

So first of all, welcome to MM, and apologies for the delay!

I was following all the feedback and your answers to your poem "Mammogram", and became slightly confused as to what you're seeking in the forums. But never mind, I'll return there and post again.

I live in Argentina, so I'm not familiar with the term "a trained philosopher'. Does it mean that you have a University Degree in Philosophy?

I agree with you about seeking the truth in poetry. 'Seeking' is the key word for me, it's a good road to follow since one can express a great deal in a few lines instead of filling tomes full of dense reasonings. But finding truth is another matter, as you say!

Cheers, Sylvia***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

mayo
post May 31 09, 21:32
Post #17

Babylonian

yes, multiple degrees.

in the forums i am seeking new eyes and how they read my poems. If there are parts that read disjointed or discombobulated I want to know.

Psyche
post Jun 2 09, 23:33
Post #18

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

impressive.

do u plan on posting revisions or new versions. i want to know so as to offer only comments on meanings captured by me not poetical phrasing.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

mayo
post Jun 3 09, 05:49
Post #19

Babylonian

QUOTE (Psyche @ Jun 3 09, 00:33 ) *
impressive.

do u plan on posting revisions or new versions. i want to know so as to offer only comments on meanings captured by me not poetical phrasing.

I will post revision or new versions. Still testing the waters.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st June 2024 - 13:05

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: