while nodding to repeating chants:
I never knew
there’s so much gray in blue.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest__*
post Sep 27 04, 01:52
Post #2

Dear David,

Jaws naturally attracted to a piec about the deep, but have to confess I have no idea what you are writing about !

Which connection did I miss ?

Love
Alan

JLY
post Sep 27 04, 06:09
Post #3

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

David,
This is an interesting piece which I have to read a few more times.  At first glance, my initial reaction is that I stumble on this line:

the pet turtle that quitted

possibly you might consider substituting quittedwith died and that might play better with your rhyme scheme.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 27 04, 10:47
Post #4

Dear Alan and Jaws,

Am I confounding or just being confounded? Putting out gibberish again? oops.gif

I’m writing about a blue feeling in the core of a person in this abstract piece, searching for clues to the roots of his melancholy. The narrator is having an internal conversation. “The Deep" in the title, of course, refers to the ocean and the depth of one’s psychological make-up. “It” throughout the piece represents the ghost of sorrow that the narrator cannot shake.  down.gif

Am I making more sense now? :)

David

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 27 04, 11:07
Post #5

Hi JLY, wave.gif

Thanks for visiting so quickly. You stumbled on a line I had trouble putting together. His pet turtle ran away or left. I searched for synonyms and found I liked the sound and multiple meanings of quitted. I thought of died but wasn't sure I wanted to say that, though it certainly goes better with eulogy.

The rhyme scheme here was supposed to be very loose. Funny thing, I started off writing free verse but the rhymes inserted themselves in the process. Think I over did it in the first stanza, which built up reader's expectations!

Sometimes, I like a line to deliberately stick out. In this case, it puts a pause, or stumble sorry, before the return and yearn rhyme. The breaking of rhyme on this line highlights it, I think, though the downside as you mentioned is it that jarred so much.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll stump on that line a little more before quitting. laugh.gif

David

Ephiny
post Sep 27 04, 12:05
Post #6

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 41
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Hi David  :pharoah2

It might seem strange to start commenting on the end of the poem, rather than the beginning but the last lines are just stunning

I never knew
there’s so much gray in blue.
 It totally sums up those days of not being able to shake off a feeling..brilliant line!

There is so much feeling here..and at the same time, a questioning perhaps, of the feelings in the poem, that they are not different, that time isn't changing them perhaps.  The colours you use are great as well.

I like your title a lot..because questioning and exploring thoughts and feelings such as those here..does involve diving into the very depths of one's mind.

Also love

When did it begin
that it can grind and spin
like a steam locomotive,
chewing iron where it’s been?

Great stuff wave.gif

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 27 04, 12:30
Post #7

Good Morning/Afternoon Lucie,

Off from work? I thought this one might be to your style, abstract and obscured/dimmed again. So pleased you like it! cloud9.gif

Can't take credit for the last lines. Actually stole it from song lyrics, sort of. The original line was "There's no black and white in blue," even better! Wish I had come up with that! There, my plagiarism exposed!

Yes, diving deep to examine self, bring lots of oxygen. I was cutting onions for a quick brown and grill and that familiar analogy popped in. Remember those old cartoons where a rain cloud follows a person around? It’s like that. SunCloud.gif

Aye, back to the psychiatrist! But then we’ve invalidated them in our conversations. To church then, oh, but they’ve got problems too. Well, guess I’ll just go back to me room and under covers. turtle.gif

David

Guest_Zeus˛_*
post Sep 27 04, 12:43
Post #8

David,
since I am still wearing my psychologists hat Hat.gif ,  you had me going in several directions at first. Thought you were getting into blue sharks and the lowly nautilus crustacean on the sea bottom.

I am going to join in on the word quitted also, and suggest "deserted".
And as the true believer you are, you have sea water in your veins.
Also second Lucie's comments on the closing lines.
Larry   Fish.gif  :blues:  crab.gif

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 27 04, 13:20
Post #9

Well, Doc Zeus,

I think you went scuba diving because you took off your psychologist Hat.gif! And as you said, without the hat and in goggles instead, no wonder you saw sharks! Eating machines that chew iron, very apt! And the half filled shell of a nautilus, water within swishing side to side. Sorry for putting lead in your air tanks. Had a good swim?

It looks like I'd better quit while I'm ahead with "quitted." laugh.gif But seriously, don't you think "quitted" embodies so much more meaning? Or, is it too much? It does come to a full stop there, doesn't it.

Sea water in veins - why, thank you. That is so heart warming to hear! :)

David fish2.gif

Guest__*
post Sep 27 04, 14:56
Post #10

Dear David,

Thank you for the explanation ! I was being dense, sort of got stuck with the title, and associations of the sea, and your nickname for me, and lost it from there on !

Love
Alan

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 27 04, 15:40
Post #11

Dear Mr. Jaws,

With your nickname and therefore prominent display of dentistry, I wouldn't dare to throw sand in your eyes. I'm glad you initially found enough water in the piece to frolic in though.

David :)

jgdittier
post Sep 29 04, 17:45
Post #12

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58
Writer of: Poetry

Dear David,
I'm a dittyist and so most of the time I'm writing on the surface and I judge failure if my reader is confused.
When I read poetry that goes deep and challenges my decoding capacity, I find little value in the poetry if I fail to decode it but think it's brilliant if I figure it out. That's the risk we take when we get coy.
That last line is a zinger and trumps all the rest, at least as I see it.
Cheers,     jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Guest_Tao_*
post Sep 29 04, 18:50
Post #13

Hello JGD,

It's good seeing/reading you again. Been busy lately? Read.gif

Thank you, I think. I hope I hadn't gone beyond your decoding capacities with this one. As you know, I've been prone to bury messages where the light doesn't reach. No coyness intended, of course.

Well, for both our sake, thanks for figuring out the meaning. wink.gif

David

Cybele
post Oct 1 04, 02:14
Post #14

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Hi David  :dance:

How sad !  Losing your pet turtle like that. Did he abscond or perhaps he eloped LOL.gif

Love these lines

Is it in my spine,
this virus of brine?
It suffuses everything
with sea and sky
that on the brightest of days
its cerulean shade I still obey.

It seems to me that you are pining for Hawaii here David ?

Perhaps the title should be CALL OF THE DEEP  :jester:

Love

Grace
farmer.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Tao_*
post Oct 1 04, 10:43
Post #15

Morning Grace,

laugh.gif laugh.gif Losing me pet turtle.gif! Nothing fancy, he just up and "quitted" me one day, as in disappeared. My guess is he snuck out of the yard. Oh, it's all coming back as I write here! That wasn't the only time he attempted an escape. I'd brought him back from the ditches outside before. But one time, he'd just gone too far. Never saw him again... down.gif

Is the Deep calling me or the other way around? This was about that blue streak that runs through this onion. I keep writing about the color blue. Perhaps I was "tide" dyed in Hawaii and didn't know it?

David :)

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2024 - 06:10

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: