post Oct 25 06, 19:41
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Mating Call ( thanks Lori & Cathy-- for title suggestion)

She stands stilt-legged
in rushes fringing the lily-pond.

His massive wings undulate
screening the sun
as he peers down
on this potential mate.

She ignores his calls --
water spurting from her neb.

The lemon resin heron
proceeds to aerate the pond;
he swoops close by
to catch a carp
-- and her eye.

Thanks Dennis for the last line.

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
TygerTyger
post Oct 26 06, 02:31
Post #2

Assyrian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 278
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Cynthia Neely

Hey Eisa!

Not seen many herons in my day, especially this close.

This is a pleasant peice with the same feeling of a haiku, very peaceful.

Not much I can add to it though but this thought: How about a little personification?

She stands stilt-legged

screening the sun
as he peers down
on this potential mate.

She ignores his calls --

The lemon resin heron
he swoops close by --
to catch a carp,
and her eye

As you wish!

Dennis!

·······IPB·······

Faith is a fine invention
for gentlemen who see,
but microscopes are prudent
in an emergency! -Emily Dickinson

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Oct 26 06, 03:54
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hey Dennis

I really like your suggestion. I was not quite happy with my ending, but with your suggestion it seems more complete.

Thanks Snow

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 26 06, 09:50
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6

I read this a couple of times... and with the same reaction that Dennis had... but I couldn't find a difference in what he posted ?

Had you already made a revision?

Good stuff, Snow!

My free verse is for the birds... but not as much as yours! wink.gif

Lightly, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Oct 26 06, 18:19
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (JustDaniel @ Oct 26 06, 15:50 ) [snapback]86002[/snapback]
I read this a couple of times... and with the same reaction that Dennis had... but I couldn't find a difference in what he posted ?

Had you already made a revision?

Good stuff, Snow!

My free verse is for the birds... but not as much as yours! wink.gif

Lightly, Daniel sun.gif

LOL! -- I hadn't got the last line at all Daniel -- just ended it 'to catch a carp' I always felt it was unfinished so Denis's suggestion ended this nicely.

Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cyn
post Oct 26 06, 19:09
Post #6

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 145

Yes it was an excellent suggestion and it the poem is wonderful. Poor old heron looking for a mate. You could say "her unseeing eye"

·······IPB·······

Cynthia Neely

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Oct 28 06, 17:20
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cyn @ Oct 27 06, 01:09 ) [snapback]86037[/snapback]
Yes it was an excellent suggestion and it the poem is wonderful. Poor old heron looking for a mate. You could say "her unseeing eye"

Thanks Cyn -- I'll think on that.

Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 7 06, 15:38
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Snow.

Sorry I'm late to this one! I love the new ending! rose.gif champagne.gif

You've chosen an unusual and unique topic - Herons.

I have no nits, just admiration. Guitar.gif

Cheers
Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Nov 7 06, 17:39
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Snow,

I've been so discombobulated lately that I over looked this one! But I am glad I happened in now. I have to agree with Lori that this is an admirable write. Powerful imagery displays a very detailed mating of herons, a courting sort of. I've nothing to offer either, as I am coming in on the bloom of the poem, but wanted to make some comments on some very spectacular images you've provided. As well as to comment on the ending. I adored the dual meaning of 'catch' in the ending. The only thought I had was the title, if sort of left me wondering where 'unreal' which leads me to think of something that is not possible. Perhaps, there is a connection in their nature that is referred to unreal that I am not familiar with? ..

Excellent poetry.

Hugs, Liz

Unreal

She stands stilt-legged

Great opening lines. "fringing' is a new word for me! Very strong description to set the mood and scenery.

screening the sun
as he peers down
on this potential mate.

Another strong stanza offering movement and a building sense of drama. The male heron's image is fully developed for the reader's mind to imagine his poise, his presence...

She ignores his calls --

Very accurate.

The lemon resin heron
he swoops close by
to catch a carp
-- and her eye.

Excellent ending. On an after thought, perhaps in L3, omitting by or bringing it down to the next line.

Well, Snow this is certainly a poem that compliments nature and basic instincts, comparable to our human nature...representing the simular stances that a male will undertake to get the attention of his desire. wink.gif

Beautiful work!

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Nov 7 06, 19:35
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Liz

Well, Snow this is certainly a poem that compliments nature and basic instincts, comparable to our human nature...representing the simular stances that a male will undertake to get the attention of his desire

I'm glad that you have seen the layers in this one.

The lemon resin heron
he swoops close by
to catch a carp
-- and her eye.

Excellent ending. On an after thought, perhaps in L3, omitting by or bringing it down to the next line.

Mmm... I think I'll try that Liz.

The only thought I had was the title, if sort of left me wondering where 'unreal' which leads me to think of something that is not possible. Perhaps, there is a connection in their nature that is referred to unreal that I am not familiar with? ..

I have to say I do not like the title LOL!! I think what I was trying to get at the time, was that the water feature heron was not what she seemed -- hence Unreal. However I really must think of something better. Any suggestions?

Thanks and hugs Liz

Snow Snowflake.gif (I do love being able to put a snowflake after my name ha ha!!)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Orion
post Nov 11 06, 16:11
Post #11

Egyptian

Member No.: 37

Snow,

Just stopping in to say I enjoyed reading your wonderful work.
I like Dennis' addition to the ending, too. No nits from this reader.

Orion

·······IPB·······

Eisa
post Nov 19 06, 17:27
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Orion @ Nov 11 06, 21:11 ) [snapback]86941[/snapback]
Snow,

Just stopping in to say I enjoyed reading your wonderful work.
I like Dennis' addition to the ending, too. No nits from this reader.

Orion

Thanks Orion Reindeer.gif

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Nov 19 06, 21:53
Post #13

Ornate Oracle

I'll be thinking on some ideas for a title... wonderful poetry, Snow...

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Nov 20 06, 05:23
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (AMETHYST @ Nov 20 06, 02:53 ) [snapback]87509[/snapback]
I'll be thinking on some ideas for a title... wonderful poetry, Snow...

Hugs, Liz

Thanks Liz -- my mind is pretty blank on ideas at the moment Idea.gif

Hugs Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jan 2 07, 06:10
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Any suggestions for a title would be appreciated -- I never intende to stick with Unreal.

Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 2 07, 06:24
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

How about "Mating Call"

OR

"Flirtatious Play"?

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Jan 2 07, 12:41
Post #17

I'm not very good with titles but maybe...

Mating Call
The Chase
Companions

Cathy dove.gif

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 2 07, 14:28
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

There's also:

Flirtatious Intent (or Intentions)
Idea.gif

Just ponderin' the possibilities Snow.

~Cleo Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jan 2 07, 19:23
Post #19

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Jan 2 07, 11:24 ) [snapback]89352[/snapback]
How about "Mating Call"

OR

"Flirtatious Play"?

Hey Lori -- that's more like it! Why didn't I think of those! LOL!

Great ideas.

Thanks Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Jan 3 07, 09:25
Post #20

Ornate Oracle

Hi Snow,

Great new title. Most fitting and really gathers the core of the poem and defines it.

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:01

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: