post Oct 11 04, 10:33
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

A Sedoka is similar to a Mondo in that it also consists of two parts, or one pair of Katauta. The difference is that Sedoka were written by a single author, and did not generally consist of a question and answer part.

Incidentally, while the norm for writing Katauta was 5-7-7 onji (one beat sound or syllable), it was also acceptable and common to see them in 5-7-5 format. Remember, the last line was used to fill out the poem, and while this was generally done with 7 onji, 5 onji (also an odd numbered line) was considered a pleasant variant from the norm.

This (Katauta) poetic form was respected for its variance as well as its conformity. So, it can be said that the Mondo and Sedoka were written by combining two Katauta -- each Katauta consisting of three parts (lines) with two separate rhythms, a consistent overall form length of 17-19 onji, and each part being of an odd numbered line in terms of onji. The major difference between the two being that Mondo were written by two authors and Sedoka were written by a single author.

In a Sedoka, each 5/7/7 stanza is called a Katauta. The second Katauta is an echo or response to the first, saying the same thing only in a different way. The sedoka may tell a story, or the two halves of the poem may address the same subject from differing perspectives. This poetry has often been composed as folk ballads.

Softly, the clouds slip
away from an azure sky
above Saint Mark's Church graveyard

an angel loiters
beneath a plum tree in bloom
petals fall on wings of stone.
~by hortensia anderson, New York, USA

The Mermaid

Do you see me glow?
Lost in an emerald sea
I am sunlight on water

Reflecting Moonlight
Flashing through the ocean depth
Daughter, swim with dolphins grace
~Unknown

And from Grace:
Incidentally Daniel and Lori, I found this quote on www.baymoon.com

Mondo [Japanese "dialogue"].

A question and an answer, each in the form of a katauta. Each part is created by a different poet.

The Solo Mondo is a modern adaption in which the two parts are created by a single poet, who writes in a different voice for each part. A precursor to the sekoda.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 11 04, 11:09
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Druid's Festival

Spirits savor treats:
veil between living and dead
thinned, offering food: Samhain.

Weakening Summer,
souls of those who've died welcome
Samhain's Druid festival.

by Lorraine M Kanter ghostface.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 13 04, 12:19
Post #3

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Okay, LorII and Grace.  Let's see what I can do with Grace's last haiku by adding a senryu to the back side of it, treating them both as complementary (or insulting) short-version katauta.  Am I on the right track, Lor?
QUOTE (Cybele @ Oct. 13 2004, 12:35)
skein of wild geese
flying south;
early morning rainbow

potty of golden
tidbits left scattered on green;
leprechauns scrape shoes

cringing Lightly, Daniel  :sun:

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 13 04, 16:18
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Yes Daniel - a good response to Grace's poem - so this would be a Mondo......

Cool! :wink:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 14 04, 12:47
Post #5

Ornate Oracle

okie sedoka-y

occidental minds
stumble into katauta;
kowtow poorly to haiku

reoriented
western minds create cinquain;
stand up against any coup

© MLeeDickens'san 14 Oct 2004

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Oct 15 04, 11:07
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Hi Daniel  sun.gif

Here is our joint offering moved from Homers as suggested. Love your half LOL.gif

Wearing white tutus
    are the grey thistles dancing
    to welcome winter?
    I think those thistles
    are really hairy goosebumps;
    they need woolly underwear

Have used English/English spelling here Daniel. Hope that is OK with you. rofl.gif

This is great fun.

Love

Grace
rainbow.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 15 04, 11:38
Post #7

Ornate Oracle

No problem with English English, Grace!

But do put a space between the two katauta, methinks.  K?

Here's the first katauta for a new one that I've copied for you from the Senryu thread, for which I'd hoped you'd supply an answer to complete the Mondo.  I'm having fun with it; glad to know you are too!

why were we posting
in the new senryu tile?
don't katauta want Mondo?

Lightly, Daniel  :sun:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Oct 16 04, 02:26
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Hi Daniel,   sun.gif  sun.gif

why were we posting
    in the new senryu tile?
    don't katauta want Mondo?

‘L’ plates are showing
    It’s all Japanese to me
    at present Daniel my friend

LOL.gif rofl.gif

Love

Grace
rainbow.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 16 04, 02:49
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

Please explain 'L' plates so that I can join in on what I'm certain is a bit o' subtle laughter or at the very least a good chuckle!

deLightin' in advance, Daniel  sun.gif

what new subtlety
finds my accidental friend?
could it be an occident?

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Oct 16 04, 03:04
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

You see what happens Daniel?

There you are in America and here I am in "lil' old England" and we each have our own different vocabularies!

I don't know the equivalent in America but I am sure you have one. L plates are displayed on car where the driver is as yet unlicensed and under instruction - like me and Japanese poetry  :lol:

what new subtlety
finds my accidental friend?
could it be an occident?

just our very own
idiosyncratic language;
no occident Danielsan!

I realise I am under instruction but Lord forbid that I have an occident my friend. I'm sure with your guidance all will be well.

Happily

Love

Grace
rainbow.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 16 04, 06:46
Post #11

Ornate Oracle

We may not be doin' it right, Cybelesan, but Mamasan LorII's gonna be proud o' our efforts!

I'm hoppin' in my unlicensed Toyota and drivin' on.  Are we supposed to be on the left side of the road or the right here?
occidentally
will two what-the-'ell-platers
ever be oriented?
sLightly disoriented, Danielsan

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 16 04, 06:53
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Sillies!

It all depends if you are writing Sedoka or Mondo....  Wall.gif

In Sedoka, ONE poet writes BOTH stanzas, which are both related.

In Mondo, TWO poets write one stanza each, the first part a question and the second part the answer.

How's that? Idea.gif

Think I'll Couch.gif and read a bit on MM! laugh.gif

Cheers!  :turkey:  :pilgrim:
~Cleo :)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 16 04, 07:01
Post #13

Ornate Oracle

Oh Oh!  Mamasan ain't readin' our stuff right, Grace!  Here we is workin' hard at switchin' our first katauta over to questions, doin' it over three times now [the last one waitin' fer yer response o' course] and schoolmarmsan comes in not noticin' our switch to mondo, carryin' a switch o' her own... then leaves to read somethin' else!

How's we ever gonna know if'n we's larnin' if she ain't gonna read us?

sLightly cornfused, Danielsan sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 16 04, 08:22
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Just Daniel @ Oct. 14 2004, 13:47)
okie sedoka-y

occidental minds
stumble into katauta;
kowtow poorly to haiku

reoriented
western minds create cinquain;
stand up against any coup

© MLeeDickens'san 14 Oct 2004

Very good Sedoka Danielsan!  :pharoah2

And I see not nittin' this one either in Homer's as it's perfecto!

cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 16 04, 08:23
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cybele @ Oct. 15 2004, 12:07)
Hi Daniel  sun.gif

Here is our joint offering moved from Homers as suggested. Love your half rofl.gif

Wearing white tutus
    are the grey thistles dancing
    to welcome winter?

I think those thistles
    are really hairy goosebumps;
    they need woolly underwear

rainbow.gif

Very good Mondo you two!

And  Jester.gif  Jester.gif  Jester.gif  too!

cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 16 04, 08:28
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Cinnamon colors
our lawn mixed with crimson leaves.
Do you see the same beauty?

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Oct 16 04, 10:49
Post #17

Ornate Oracle

Hi Daniel wave.gif

I'm hoppin' in my unlicensed Toyota and drivin' on.

Snap Danielsan ! – I also drive a Toyota (Rav 4 called ‘Rosie the Raver’)

occidentally
    will two _what-the-'ell_-platers
    ever be oriented?

seems most unlikely
    let’s Nippon a plane and head
    for the rising sun

Will you finish Cleo's Daniel - or shall I?  

Love

Grace
rainbow.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Oct 16 04, 10:55
Post #18

Ornate Oracle

Hi Cleo, tut.gif

Cinnamon colors

Lovely first half. I will wait for Daniel to complete since he is much wittier than me and can do it justice. Afterwards I will append my own version.

Hope you had a lovely holiday.  sings.gif

Love

Grace
rainbow.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Oct 16 04, 15:07
Post #19

Ornate Oracle

Well, Grace, I don't really have a Toyota; I was being metaphorical and adding to the new understanding of 'L' plates you've Graceiously offered!  We do have a Nissan, however... and I'd never take a Nippon a plane... only soda!

What makes you think that I'm any more clever or humorous or whatever than you?  But I will try to respond to Mamasan's question katauta:

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Oct. 16 2004, 09:28)
Cinnamon colors

even in Jersey
though later and with less flair
autumn leaves summer in bronze

deLightingly, Daniel  sun.gif

Now for Grace or the next reader:
sedoka, mondo
each contain two katauta;
do you see the difference?

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Oct 17 04, 02:56
Post #20

Ornate Oracle

Good morning Daniel,  sun.gif  sun.gif

*sedoka, mondo
each contain two katauta;
do you see the difference?*

sedoka for one
no question; mondo partners
seek answers to inquiries

"By George, she's got it. I think she's got it!!"

"Cor Blimey, so I 'ave!"

'appily smilin'

Love

Grace (Doolittle)

rainbow.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:55

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: