Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

1st Revision: 10/22

CHERISHED MELODIES

Tender, sincere traits we now appreciate;
dwelling on quaint ones we hope to emulate.
Plans for a secret, romantic night awaits;
we now appreciate tender, sincere traits.

Cherished old songs with lilting melodies
once again evoke infatuation’s fantasies.
Our treasured, raptured memories belong
with lilting melodies’ cherished old songs.

Aroused, fervent flames we long to ignite;
amorous yearnings we can no longer fight.
Heart’s desires dispel once foolish blames;
we long to ignite aroused, fervent flames.

Idyllic pleasures’ bliss within our reach;
a peaceful gift we’ll covet, never breach.
A splendid, blossomed meadowland exists…
within our reach, idyllic pleasures’ bliss.

On beds of wildflowers we’ll cozily lie;
our canopy chosen… a powder blue sky.
This colorful, gorgeous setting is ours;
we’ll cozily lie on beds of wildflowers.

Shared dreams reflect joys of our past,
we faithfully vow that our love will last.
Our harmonious souls reunite to protect
joys of our past, shared dreams reflect.

CHERISHED MELODIES

Sincere, tender traits we now appreciate,
Plans for a secret, romantic night awaits,
we now appreciate sincere, tender traits.

once again evoke infatuation's fantasies.
A treasured, joyous memory belongs
with lilting melodies' cherished old songs.

Aroused, fervent flames we long to ignite,
Heart's desire dispels once foolish blames,

Idyllic pleasures' bliss within our reach,
a peaceful gift we'll covet, never breach.
A splendid, blossomed meadow exists -
within our reach, idyllic pleasures' bliss.

On a bed of wildflowers we'll cozily lie,
our canopy of choice, a powder blue sky.
This gorgeous, colorful setting is ours;
we'll cozily lie on a bed of wildflowers.

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
heartsong7
post Oct 8 07, 09:26
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 70
Referred By:Merlin

lovely sentiments... that tho not metered, do flow freely.
You lose the rhyme here:
Treasured, joyous memories are renewed

Sue

·······IPB·······

Forgiveness is the fragrance
the violet sheds
on the heel
that has crushed it.

MM Award Winner

Merlin
post Oct 8 07, 11:20
Post #3

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 66

Hi JLY,

Good on ya for doing a swapper of 6 quatrains. I've not managed that; of course, I've only ever done a couple of 'em.

Nice scenery presented. I would suggest tossing (down in V5) "canopy of choice" in favor of "canopy chosen" to maintain the beat.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

JLY
post Oct 8 07, 11:28
Post #4

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Sue,
Thank you. I never realized I missed the rhyme. I need to fix that right away. Good catch.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Oct 8 07, 11:30
Post #5

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Merlin,
Thanks for the suggestion and support. I have some fixing to do and I will work on it shortly.

JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Lady Poet
post Oct 8 07, 16:33
Post #6

Assyrian

Member No.: 468
Referred By:self

This is me, Pami, just standing in the corner in awe.

·······IPB·······

A relaxed attitude, and a heart of gratitude, increases life whilst joy doth exude! <:))))><

JLY
post Oct 9 07, 05:24
Post #7

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Pami,
Thanks, but please come out of the shadows of the corner and enjoy the melodies of your old favorite songs.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Judi
post Oct 9 07, 09:21
Post #8

Creative Chieftain

Group: Bronze Member
Member No.: 427

Jly, I am coming in late on this and the "fixers" have come and gone. I think with a few tweaks here and there you could also bring this into meter.

This is truly a wonderful poem with much potential...Judi

·······IPB·······

JLY
post Oct 9 07, 15:13
Post #9

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Judi,
Thank you. It needs some work and that is why I posted it here; I'm always looking for suggestions.

JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 13 07, 11:00
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello John. wave.gif

I really enjoyed this poem, it leaves me a calming sense of mind. cloud9.gif

Below you'll find some comments to take or toss as you wish.

Sincere, tender traits we now appreciate,
Plans for a secret, romantic night awaits,
A lovely opening John. I suggest swapping tender and sincer to smooth the meter just a tad in L1 & L4. One alterate suggestion would be a change in L1 to (and no worries on the extra beat it will cause):
Tender, sincere traits we've come to appreciate,
and for L4:
We've come to appreciate tender, sincere traits.

once again evoke infatuation's fantasies. Good imagination here
A treasured, joyous memory belongs
with lilting melodies' cherished old songs. nice swap!

Aroused, fervent flames we long to ignite,
Heart's desire dispels once foolish blames,
In L3, I suggest a slight change to: Heart's desires dispel once foolish blames; and add a semi-colon there.

Idyllic pleasures' bliss within our reach,
within our reach, idyllic pleasures' bliss.
In L3 I suggest adding one beat - perhaps: A splendid, blossomed meadowland exists -

On a bed of wildflowers we'll cozily lie,
our canopy of choice, a powder blue sky.
I agree with Eric's suggested change of choice to chosen (and then ditch the 'a') in L2. For meter smoothing I suggest swapping the position of colorful and gorgeous as well. One other thought would be to make 'bed' plural - on beds of . :)

In L1 and 4 - I sugget a sub. for 'joys' since you've already used 'joyous' in other stanza. Perhaps:
Shared dreams reflect delights of our past.

I enjoyed this one John - well done. Hoping we can include this in our SQ collaboration.
Cheers!
~Cleo galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Oct 14 07, 15:47
Post #11

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Lori,
Many thanks. Each of your suggestions seems to work a bit better. I had a lot of trouble with this one and labored over it for quite a while. Now I have some more things to work with to smooth this one over.

JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 15 07, 08:10
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi John, cali.gif

I look forward to any revisons that you may make to this one! Might I add it to our list for the collaboration chapbook (check your PM)? Sometimes, at least when I get stuck with my muse, I put it away, do something else, and come back to the write again with a clear mind. It works on occassion (when my muse obliges).

HUGS
~Cleo kiss.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Oct 15 07, 08:21
Post #13

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Lori,
Once this is polished a bit more.....I would glady offer it to you for the chapbook.

I am currently working on 3 poems....I go back and forth to each of them when I exhaust my creative juices on the one that I hit the wall....I am like a juggler, trying to keep them all in a poetic flow.

JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 15 07, 08:25
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Great idea John! Idea.gif I haven't written three at a time before though, upside.gif but I am alternating between writing notes for my sci-fi novel idea and reading lots of books/articles on novel writing, and commenting here on the forum. I'm hoping this vacation will spark something new (like the Nantucket one did). hsdance.gif

At least when you Wall.gif, you don't let it crash you! I need to try that!

HUGS
Lori laugh.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Oct 15 07, 12:11
Post #15

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Lori,
In addition, I am putting the final touches on my next chapbook. I will be sending you the material very shortly, so you will have another project to work on.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Oct 16 07, 06:31
Post #16

Hi John,

I'm sorry that it's taken so long for me to respond. I've read it through a couple of times and now have a few thoughts for you to ponder...

Cathy

Sincere, tender traits we now appreciate{,}[;]
dwelling on quaint ones we hope to emulate. < I like the use of 'quaint' here...
Plans for a secret, romantic night awaits{,}[;]

once again evoke infatuation's fantasies.
A treasured, joyous memory belongs Maybe... 'Treasured, joyous memories belong'... Wouldn't there be more than one memory?

Aroused, fervent flames we long to ignite{,}[;]
Heart's desire dispels once foolish blames{,}[;] < 'Heart's desires dispel'...?

Idyllic pleasures' bliss within our reach{,}[;]
within our reach, idyllic pleasures' bliss. Maybe an elipsis instead of a comma?

On a bed of wildflowers we'll cozily lie{,}[;]
our canopy of choice{,}[...] a powder blue sky.

JLY
post Oct 16 07, 07:37
Post #17

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Cathy,
Thanks for taking the time. Each of your thoughtful tweaks seems to be an improvement over my original posting, so I will be certainly using your input for my next revision.

JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 28 07, 17:10
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi John,

Just checking back in - I'm holding open the 25th slot for you - would you prefer this poem or your newer 'Intermission' for your 2nd SQ?

Cheers
~Cleo Read.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Oct 29 07, 06:41
Post #19

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Lori,
I would go with Cherished Melodies...it is more polished than Intermission.

Thanks,
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:56

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: