to honor those of yore -
and death shall come to me
in time.

Copyright © Lorraine M. Kanter 13 Dec 2008

Original lines were as follows;
if I were tickled from treasures
and
would not be mislaid

Dylan Thomas snippets used: if I were tickled, from treasures of, I might have danced, with nightingales and psalms, of many shades, under the arc, that time allows, ride the imagined, the dwindling harbor, the bones of men, light a candle, and death shall
Reason for edit: Rev 2, TY all!

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_ohsteve_*
post Dec 13 08, 10:43
Post #2

Lori, Wonderful use of the snippets, the poem of observed things goine by...very well done.
Steve

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 13 08, 12:47
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Thanks very much Steve!

~Cleo cheer.gif candle.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Maggie
post Dec 16 08, 17:30
Post #4

Greek

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 185
Referred By:just wandered in

Hi Cleo,

I agree with Steve: Indeed wonderful use of snippets!

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 16 08, 17:32
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks very much Peggy.

Does the poem 'make sense' though if you didn't know of the snippets?

~Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Maggie
post Dec 16 08, 18:39
Post #6

Greek

Member No.: 185
Referred By:just wandered in

Hi Lori,

I do think there will be more than one interpretation of your poem by your readers. For example, I personally know Thomas pretty well, but to tell the truth I interpreted "harbor" according to Tennyson's use of the word. In Tennyson's "Crossing the Bar" the poet was thinking of a harbor as representing "life in this mortal world" and the vast ocean on the other side of the sandbar as "death or the afterlife," so automatically I read your poem interpreting the phrase according to what I personally associate it with. I think most readers will do similarly, so you might get more than one interpretation for your poem, but I don't think the reader has to be a Thomas scholar to like it. Just my opinion of course.

Peggy

·······IPB·······

Siren
post Dec 17 08, 20:48
Post #7

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 13
Writer of: Poetry

Hey Lori,

I am not privy to Dylan Thomas's work. I do though think you've used the snippets very well.

To me this read as wonder of myths and the granduer of history and its makers.

I do know that you are moving in tune with the snippets but I stumbled upon "If I were tickeld from treasures" I kept wanting to read it by instead. Other than that, the rest of S1 read smoothly, and I am among those who are enchanted mythology and history.

in S2, are you asking if time would take you back to those days where those heroes came to life? this is what I got...

the bones of men
would not be mislaid.

I like this part. It tells me that true men, those heroes, will be put in their rightful honorable place. (again it's my take on this.

The last S, got me a bit confused. did you mean you'll light the candles every day of your life, in honor of those makers of history?

I like the medieval tone to this even in light of my perception being wrong or completely off the mark. LOL!

Thanks for the read...

great work...

dani

·······IPB·······

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 20 08, 17:29
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Peggy,

I agree with you. The only worry there is if the main "message" is missed by having more than one interpretation.

My feeling in using 'the dwindling harbor' is also in line with Tennyson's use of the word in that the harbor is meant to represent one's own life and in time, it dwindles as one ages. Desolation comes into play as we worry so much about aging that it ends up absorbing all our thoughts and actions to a major degree. Our imagination might literally run away with us.

Glad you stopped in!
Cheers,
~Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 20 08, 17:37
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hey Dani, hersheyskiss.gif

I think it's perfectly fine for you and any reader not to be familiar with Dylan's work, that way you can draw your own conclusions based on the snippets, and if I hadn't posted them, you wouldn't know which ones they are, lol!

To me this read as wonder of myths and the grandeur of history and its makers.
Why thank you! That's wonderful to hear. Is there a particular myth that came to mind for you after reading this?

I kept stumbling in the beginning too so I've just edited to 'by treasures' instead of 'from treasures'. Thanks for pointing that out. cheer.gif
In S2, are you asking if time would take you back to those days where those heroes came to life? this is what I got...
the bones of men
would not be mislaid.

I like this part. It tells me that true men, those heroes, will be put in their rightful honorable place. (again it's my take on this.)
Yes, I am asking to be taken back in time so that thoughts of the future don't overtake the narrator in negative ways.

Sorry the last line confuses you. No, not to light a candle every day, but moreso to honor those when I do.

Thanks for stopping in Daniah - good to interact with you again (and thanks for PM'ing me your addy)!

Cheers,
~Cleo galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Dec 27 08, 18:50
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Well done Lori - I like the tone of this one. If I were to change anything I'd perhaps miss out 'and' in L2 St 1 and 'the' in L3 St2 ... but then I'm probably thinking of conciseness of modern FV and not the style in which this is written.

You have used the snippets very well.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Alan
post Jan 5 09, 19:03
Post #11

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 298
Referred By:Lori/Eisa/loads of old friends

Dear Lori,

I love the way the poem starts and ends with the same words - took me 3 goes to notice !

Coupla offerings for you to reject :

which worsens us, - gives some allit ?
mocks us
to drift away
would give way… - not too keen on the away/way combo

Love
Alan

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post May 25 09, 09:37
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Eisa @ Dec 27 08, 19:50 ) *
Well done Lori - I like the tone of this one. If I were to change anything I'd perhaps miss out 'and' in L2 St 1 and 'the' in L3 St2 ... but then I'm probably thinking of conciseness of modern FV and not the style in which this is written.

You have used the snippets very well.

Snow Snowflake.gif

Hi Snow,

My gosh, I completely let my response slip by just like this thread has, lol! upside.gif blush.gif My apologies.

I think you're right about ditching the 'and before 'psalms'. Let me see if I tweak this a bit and get your input then.

Thanks again!
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 25 09, 09:39
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Alan @ Jan 5 09, 20:03 ) *
Dear Lori,

I love the way the poem starts and ends with the same words - took me 3 goes to notice !

Coupla offerings for you to reject :

which worsens us, - gives some allit ?
mocks us
to drift away
would give way… - not too keen on the away/way combo

Love
Alan

Hi Alan,

Thank you for stopping by! As I mentioned to Snow, my apologies to you as well for being so lax in responding. blush.gif

I like your first suggestion, 'which worsens us' and will ponder it when I re-write in a few. I'm still not sure on the layout of this one as well.

Let's see what happens in the re-write!
~Cleo writersblock.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 25 09, 09:50
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Revision #2 now posted - with thanks to Snow and Alan!

dance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_ohsteve_*
post May 25 09, 10:20
Post #15

Lori, I like the newest revision, I still think it could use just a might more tweaking by elimination of some words. Here is how I see it finished, I just hope that by removing these that it doesn't change the ethereal beauty of the piece.

In time

if I were tickled by treasures

of the apostles, I might

have danced with nightingales:

psalms of many shades

would be sermonized

under the arc of

Heaven’s Light.

Time allows us

to ride the imagined --

desolation of the dwindling

harbor worsens us,

mocks us

to drift away...

the bones of men

would ne'er be mislaid!

I will light a candle

in remembrance

to honor those of yore

and death shall come to me

in time.

Cleo_Serapis
post May 25 09, 10:23
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

thanks.gif Steve,

I'll give this some thought!

Happy Memorial Day!

~Lori

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

vessq
post May 25 09, 12:38
Post #17

Babylonian

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 742
Referred By:serendipity

Hi Lori,

I read both versions and all the comments. I have little to add except to say this is well done and the second version, in my opinion, works best.

Steve's suggestions deserve consideration. I would beware, though, of taking criticisms too seriously. Each of us will respond based on our own history and experience but no history is more valid than any other.

When a critic wastes time telling a writer what they prefer in terms of form or style, the critic is talking about themselves and not about helping a writer accomplish what is being attempted.

One need not be a Dylan scholar to enjoy your poem.

The message a reader gets from a poem will not always be what the writer intended.

I have seen poems made weaker by workshops when a writer attempts to please every voice. We should let our poems bounce among readers without expecting any or all to catch the intended message or even appreciate the effort.

Good work, I enjoyed both the poem and the comments it drew.

Vess

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 25 09, 09:57
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Vess,

Thanks for coming back to this one (and sorry for my late response). upside.gif blush.gif

I agree, it's often a difficult fine line to draw when offering critiques and when revising your own work. I always say 'a poem is your own' and as such, it should retain the "message" that you sought to convey. I view crits as twofold: (1) to confirm your message is being received the way you intended and (2) to receive feedback that may further strengthen that message to bring the poem (and the voice) to the highest level it can be, and perhaps reach a wider audience in the process.

It drives me a little batty bat.gif when I spend a great deal of time offering my views on a work and the person doesn't respond, or doesn't understand what I'm trying to say. It takes both to work together to sync up... communication and patience are key. Idea.gif

These things take time and also the methods by which we get to know one another (what makes us tick); it's a bit of a bummer if you know what I mean when the stars don't always align. On the one hand, as you mentioned, it's also difficult to respond when someone else hasn't offered constructive feedback that can help the writer grow. I've seen this happen at many sites. How does one respond to that? On the other hand, it's such a wondrous feeling when positive feedback is received and suggestions for improvement are considered and revisions result. FANTASTIC!!!!! hsdance.gif sings.gif hsdance.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed this one!
Cheers,
~Cleo Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:00

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: