Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hey Don! :)

I LIKE this new piece of yours - but my braincells are LOW at the moment. I need recharging with sleep.

I'll be back real soon!
Take care and cheers for now! cheer.gif
~Cleo laugh.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Siren
post Jun 13 04, 19:35
Post #3

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 13
Writer of: Poetry

Hey Don,

It's great to read you again. I enjoyed this a lot. This felt like a metaphor to the wiles of writing. "block and tackle" were what gave me that  interp. Most probably I'm not on the mark, but if I am I think you did an awesome job here.

Daniah :)

·······IPB·······

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jun 14 04, 06:53
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Hey, Don...

Stayin’ home to weave the riggin’
‘cause yer tired o’ solo jiggin’?
Smokin’ hemp instead o’ tacklin’
blocks fer sails?  Yer tape 'n' spacklin'?

l'Lightly t'trampin' in yer troche footsteps, Dan'l  sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Jun 16 04, 01:27
Post #5

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Don,

The wonderful sound choices make this an easy and enjoyable read. Your swift hand of alliterative decor is done with good measure. I adore the subject and the slight humor at poem end.

I also enjoyed the meter... the trochee meter offers that punch, quick jab sensation of the sea and compliments the imagery you've created.

The only fumble I felt through out was S2L2, beginning with 'knew" it didn't feel as though it followed through with the direction of thought. It could be just me.

Otherwise, a very enjoyable poem! Glad to read your work again!

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Jun 17 04, 11:02
Post #6

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear Don,
Trochee meter has for me a special excitement somewhat like the throbbing breath of one involved in a great adventure. The setting here, the open sea, is a perfect choice.
Cheers,    jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Jun 17 04, 12:15
Post #7

Todate I thank all readers who held their tongues and the following who did not.

Cleo_Serapis
Siren
Just Daniel
Amethyst
&
jgdittier

Laying strands is hard work Cleo, get some sound sleep.

Sorry Siren, but this is less sophisticated than one of yours.
It is about experienced sailors familiar with running rigging of sailing ships in the 1800's who gave up the sea to make necessary rope, which was life-blood of every ship.  The dreary manufactures of rope prefered to hire ex-salts who knew how it was used from experience.  So knowing the running rigging of block and tackle is what the poem says.

Thanks, Just Daniel, for the fine ditty o' y'ur own.  Lay off inhaling the Cannibus please, hemp is for sale in coils.

It is nice to welcome you aboard again, Amethyst.  I am not certain your dislike of knew the ropes for block and tackle.
The block and tackle represents the running rigging contrasted with stationary rigging.  Hemp was prefered material for running rigging.  And as mentioned to Siren above, employers liked to hire sailors knowledgable of running rigging.  

How about ran replacing knew?

Thank you, jgdittier.  I will endeavor to remember that trochee is for excitement.

If anyone desires to add insights, please do so.

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 19 04, 08:45
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Don!  :wave:

This is such a refreshing piece to read again!  :troy:

My only nits are in these lines below:

Hemp in pulleys ran the oceans,
AND
Made by men who swallowed anchor,
AND
knew the ropes for block and tackle,

I keep reading the first line above as:
Hemp in pulleys swam the oceans - I do not quite understand the correlation of the word 'ran' here?

On L2 above, is this a sailing expression: swallowed anchor?

On L3 above, the word knew is a kicker. I like your suggestion to Liz for ran instead.  :pharoah2

Thanks Don!
Cheers!
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Jun 19 04, 11:25
Post #9

QUOTE(Cleo_Serapis @ June 19 2004, 08:45)
Hi Don!  wave.gif

This is such a refreshing piece to read again!  troy.gif

My only nits are in these lines below:

Hemp in pulleys ran the oceans,
AND
Made by men who swallowed anchor,
AND

I keep reading the first line above as:
Hemp in pulleys swam the oceans - I do not quite understand the correlation of the word 'ran' here?

On L2 above, is this a sailing expression: swallowed anchor?

On L3 above, the word knew is a kicker. I like your suggestion to Liz for ran instead.  :pharoah2

Thanks Don!
Cheers!
~Cleo  Pharoah.gif

Hi Cleo,

Hemp ran the oceans is a slider.  That material was predominantly in sailing ship running rigging.  The word ran also alludes to sailing the oceans.

I will probably change knew to ran and run the gauntlet of objections to using it twice in a short piece.

Yes, "swallowed anchor" is jargon for sailors who have given up sea duty. "hardened splices" is also sailor jargon for married (and less so settling down).

Thanks for asking.  Hope we have oiled the water well enough.

Your finding it refreshing leaves me with a big smile.

Don

Aphrodite
post Jul 3 04, 11:29
Post #10

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 7

Hello Don~

I enjoyed your interesting sea adventure poem and the thoughtful imagery and metaphors within.

"Made by men who swallowed anchor,
left the open sea adventure.
Lubbers signed to fireside crackle"
****super!

Smooth sailing~ sings.gif
Lindi

·······IPB·······

"Imagination is more important than knowledge and encircles the world"
Albert Einstein

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Jul 4 04, 01:31
Post #11

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Good Morning Don, wave.gif

Having read all your explanations of naval jargon I am now able to fully appreciate this poem, which I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

The rhythm, while nautical - reminding me of a sailing ship cutting through the waves also reminded me of Longfellow"s 'Hiawatha', a piece I really love.

My favourite line has to be:

Lubbers signed to fireside crackle

and your last line is great

fond of household cake and spices.

I am a great lover of the sea and tall ships and really enjoyed this poem.

May I just suggest that if writing a speciallist piece such as this, you add and addendum of explanation of the technical terms. That way when land lubbers read a piece like this they are not bemused and can more readily appreciate the quality of your work?

Love

Grace
farmer.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Jul 4 04, 07:34
Post #12

Dear Cybele,

Thank you very much.  I sincerely appreciate your comments.

When I began writing poetry I used author's comments to outline unusual items within the poem of history, mythology, math or other jargon.  
Most of my verse contains technical info the average person is unlikely to encounter.

THEN I learned that adding explanations is poor practice and marks a poor poet.

After avoiding such addendums I decided poor poet or not, I should write them.  Partial reasoning is the oddity of my tropes, how many people personalize rope, tissue, quarks, atoms and black holes?  Most important justification is that significant number of readers (you are latest on the list) have overtly asked for or expressed enjoyment of being apprised of the inner information.

In truth "Belaying Splices" is a condensed summary of an article within a high-class nautical magazine article.

I asked a few first readers whether or not they understood the poem.  Since they said they did, I felt speciality jargon to be less special.  Despite surface assurance, I should have listened to my gut-feel doubt. 

Thanks again for reading and commenting.

Don   :pharoah2

Guest_Don_*
post Apr 13 05, 08:01
Post #13

To all,

Thanks to those who fine tuned this poem into contest quality.
If Belaying Splices is within one of your chapbooks you may want to note the following:

I received a letter dated April 6, 2005, from Edison Writer's Club.
Within was notification of 3rd place Adult Poetry category in the Edison Writer's Club 2005 Spring Fiction & Poetry Contest.

I plan to attend their invitation to Spring Reading (May 12, 2005) for awards, picture taking, refreshments, and open mike coffeehouse style reading at Edison Community College, Piqua, Ohio (USA).

Thank you everyone for making this honor reality.

Don

JustDaniel
post Apr 13 05, 08:08
Post #14

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Trochaic, heart-felt congratulations, Don!

not Lightly, Daniel  :sun:

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Apr 13 05, 08:43
Post #15

Congratulations, Don, and a lovely surprise for those of us who had not seen this work before.

Fran

Guest_Nina_*
post Apr 15 05, 00:51
Post #16

Congratulations Don.  You will have to post a picture of you receiving your award.

Well done

Nina

Guest_Don_*
post Apr 15 05, 09:40
Post #17

QUOTE(Nina @ April 15 2005, 01:51)
Congratulations Don.  You will have to post a picture of you receiving your award.

Well done

Nina

That's a thought.

I'll try to remember to ask for a copy, which can be scanned by our daughter.  Someone please provide protocol to put it here at MM.

Thanks for your sincere congratulations.  I think it is the novelty of trochaic meter that won the day.

For levity, a way to win a contest is throw enough shit into the fan and some is bond to strike someplace.

Don

jgdittier
post Apr 25 05, 15:56
Post #18

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear Don,
Congratulations indeed.
Your blue ribbon piece , I believe, is most due to your using trochaic.
I agree with those who prefer supportive definitions and explanations with poems likely to confuse.
I ask those who teach that footnotes are bad practice, exactly why.
Cheers,     jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Apr 25 05, 18:53
Post #19

QUOTE(jgdittier @ April 25 2005, 16:56)
Dear Don,
Congratulations indeed.
Your blue ribbon piece , I believe, is most due to your using trochaic.
I agree with those who prefer supportive definitions and explanations with poems likely to confuse.
I ask those who teach that footnotes are bad practice, exactly why.
Cheers,     jgd

Hi jgdittier,

We are in total agreement on both counts.  Knowing that much could not have been understood by the judges the bias for winning must have been trochaic.

Perhaps the poetry world would rather wean us away from poems requiring footnotes or author's comments.  On the otherhand English professors will expend large lecture segments on explaining someone's work.  I am willing to guess your query is seldom answered, if ever, satisfactorily.

I believe readers determine the meanings to suit themselves, which is outside author's control.  However, it seems to me certain basics should be provided for guidance.  

When I create my own chapbooks I include author's notes.  When submitting to a contest, I comply to their rules.

Thanks for your visit and chat.

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 25 05, 19:13
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello Don.

I knew this was a winner when I first read it! lovie.gif

CONGRATS! dance.gif

If you'd like, please email me a .jpeg or .gif image file of your award and I can post it on MM for you.

P.S. This will be a great addition to Syntax & Musings!

Cheers!
~Cleo :)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 17:39

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: