post Oct 25 06, 07:30
Post #1

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Shadorma

Shadorma [ shad-oor-muh ] is a syllabic poetic form reminiscent of haiku and tanka; it is written either as a single sestet or a series of sestets, each with a syllable count of 3-5-3-3-7-5. It is reportedly of Spanish origin, created by court poets from the 14th – 15th centuries, though I have found no original sources of this. Any input or correction from others would be much appreciated, for the sake of accuracy.

Here’s one example of my own… with a bit of word play:

dream state

sleeplessness
dreams in broad daylight
half a wake
unaware
it's tolled eyes to take a knap
to see what's inside

© MLee Dickens'son

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
JustDaniel
post Oct 26 06, 09:43
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

sub-polar low

eye can sense
wake from manic whirl
arising
'mid debris
strewn over skewed horizon
lifting fog a blur

© MLee Dickens'son 26 Oct 2006

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Oct 26 06, 15:01
Post #3

Inspiration

Heaven's veil
will softly shimmer
like fireflies;
starlit nights
then harvest a host of dreams
that set me adrift,

inspiring
imagination
to fly with
fairy wings,
claiming far-fetched fantasies
to etch on my page.

Cathy Bollhoefer
copyright Oct 2006

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 28 06, 08:10
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Daniel.

The only other item I have found to note about Shadorma is that it should have un-rhymed lines.

Here is my first attempt at this form:

Cauldron brews,
souls' bewitching charms
casting spells
ghoulishly
unbeknownst to invited
misplaced dinner guests.
goodwitch.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 28 06, 08:12
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cathy @ Oct 26 06, 16:01 ) *
Inspiration

Heaven's veil
will softly shimmer
like fireflies;
starlit nights
then harvest a host of dreams
that set me adrift,

inspiring
imagination
to fly with
fairy wings,
claiming far-fetched fantasies
to etch on my page.

Cathy Bollhoefer
copyright Oct 2006

Cathy,

this is a lovely lovie.gif response to this form!

Heaven's veil as the opener really sets the tone for what is to come. harvest those fairy wings!
Well done!
~Cleo pharoah2.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Oct 28 06, 08:47
Post #6

Cauldron brews,
souls' bewitching charms
casting spells
ghoulishly
unbeknownst to invited
misplaced dinner guests.

You've brewed up the perfect Shadorma for the season!

Thanks for the comments on mine! fairy.gif

Cathy

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 28 06, 09:04
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks Cathy. cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 00:55

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: