for March arrives, and flowers grow,
among the flakes of melting white
in clover’s crops of sprawling might
where seeds of  love and life will sow
in fields of green.

© 2004 Lorraine M Kanter
All rights reserved as an unpublished work

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Orion
post Mar 6 04, 15:21
Post #2

Egyptian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 37
Writer of: Poetry

Cleo,

I enjoyed reading your poem, and it only encourages me to jump into the 'metered pool'! One day...one day...one day I may try to fence in my wild, wandering poetic thoughts.~grin~

~Orion~

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 6 04, 19:43
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

QUOTE(Orion @ Mar. 06 2004, 15:21)
Cleo,

I enjoyed reading your poem, and it only encourages me to jump into the 'metered pool'! One day...one day...one day I may try to fence in my wild, wandering poetic thoughts.~grin~

~Orion~

Hi Orion!  :read:

Ahhh- thankies!  Do you remember when I couldn't find meter if my life depended on it? Well, I'm still looking, but every once in a while, the hide & seek favors me.

Hope you'll give one a try, but honestly, your writings are great the way they are!  :pharoah2

Thanks for stopping by!
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Aphrodite
post Mar 7 04, 09:58
Post #4

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 7
Writer of: Poetry

Hello Lori~

You did a great job on your first Rhondeau! (especially the first stanza)
The vivid imagery and lovely flow of your poem has me "yearning" for the emerald landscape of spring, even more!

Awesome! :pharoah2  sings.gif  sings.gif  wave.gif  wave.gif

Blessings~
Lindi

·······IPB·······

"Imagination is more important than knowledge and encircles the world"
Albert Einstein

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 25 04, 06:15
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Aphrodite @ Mar. 07 2004, 09:58)
Hello Lori~

You did a great job on your first Rhondeau! (especially the first stanza)
The vivid imagery and lovely flow of your poem has me "yearning" for the emerald landscape of spring, even more!

Awesome! :pharoah2  sings.gif  sings.gif  wave.gif  wave.gif

Blessings~
Lindi

Hey Aphrodite!  :lovie:

Thanks so much! Well - Spring has sprung...so let's get  :dance:
about it!  :sun:

Thanks for stopping by! This is an addicting form of poetry!  :wizard:

Cheers!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_blondie_*
post Apr 16 04, 10:23
Post #6

Hi Cleo,

Excellent imagery!  The grass is the prettiest shade of green this time of year.  Unfortunately, I hate mowing grass.  

A great poem of rebirth and life.  The flow is calming and alive, and the rhyme is perfect.

Thanks for sharing.

~Amy~

Ephiny
post Apr 16 04, 12:02
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 41

I loved this even though I'm not entirely sure what a rhondeau is (excuse my ignorance alien2.gif !)

I really liked the line "hold fast to hope; winter's let go" and after that, how you gently yet deftly brought in so many beautiful images of spring and grass and new life to everything.  I really enjoyed this one sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Apr 17 04, 01:29
Post #8

Dear Ephiny,

Rondeau - go to Karnak's Crossing, listed a few below this forum, for an extensive education on poetic forms.

I've never tried one, seems hard to me, so even more admiration to Cleo, as this is very good !

Love
Alan

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 17 04, 08:06
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(blondie @ April 16 2004, 11:23)
Hi Cleo,

Excellent imagery!  The grass is the prettiest shade of green this time of year.  Unfortunately, I hate mowing grass.  

A great poem of rebirth and life.  The flow is calming and alive, and the rhyme is perfect.

Thanks for sharing.

~Amy~

Hello Amy! Fish.gif

I love walking barefoot through the grass in Summer months, except ya gotta watch out for bees! My first bee sting was from walking barefoot when I was around 12. OUCHIE!  :violin:

I appreciate your compliments! It takes alot of practice for me to get rhythms and rhyming to work together!  :dunce:

cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 17 04, 08:09
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ephiny @ April 16 2004, 13:02)
I loved this even though I'm not entirely sure what a rhondeau is (excuse my ignorance alien2.gif !)

I really liked the line "hold fast to hope; winter's let go" and after that, how you gently yet deftly brought in so many beautiful images of spring and grass and new life to everything.  I really enjoyed this one sun.gif

Hi Lucie! fish2.gif

I've copied the definition of "Rondeau" for you below.

The Rondeau consists of three stanzas, a quintet (5 lines), a quatrain (4 lines) and a sestet (6 lines), making the poem a total of 15 lines.

The first phrase of the first line usually sets the refrain ®, but sometimes the refrain can be the whole of the first line. The structure is:

line 1 - a ®(normally the first phrase is the refrain)
line 2 - a
line 3 - b
line 4 - b
line 5 - a

line 6 - a
line 7 - a
line 8 - b
line 9 - R

line 10 - a
line 11 - a
line 12 - b
line 13 - b
line 14 - a
line 15 - R

The meter is considered be open and the French style is not bound by a rhyming pattern and also is more of a light and buoyant even "flashy" form of poetry which uses short lines. The English style however, is much more dour and serious, even meditative and uses tetrameter or pentameter.

I like to try to capture images in poetry - you can see so much in Nature, the trick is to try and convey it in words.
Glad you enjoyed! Thank you!  :cloud9:

~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 17 04, 08:10
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Alan @ April 17 2004, 02:29)
Dear Ephiny,

Rondeau - go to Karnak's Crossing, listed a few below this forum, for an extensive education on poetic forms.

I've never tried one, seems hard to me, so even more admiration to Cleo, as this is very good !

Love
Alan

bowdown.gif Thanks Alan!  :angel:

You should try one! You LOVE challenges - this was a tough one!

I say, Go for it!  :cheer:

GroupHug.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Ephiny
post Apr 17 04, 11:45
Post #12

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 41

Thanks very much for the info, Cleo and Alan, I'm going to study it and hopefully make an attempt angel.gif

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 19 04, 17:26
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Ephiny @ April 17 2004, 12:45)
Thanks very much for the info, Cleo and Alan, I'm going to study it and hopefully make an attempt angel.gif

[marquee]GO FOR IT LUCIE! Balloons.gif dance.gif Balloons.gif[/marquee]

Best of luck!  sun.gif

~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:01

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: