post Aug 6 03, 06:11
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

The Triolet is a poetic form consisting of only 8 lines.  Within a Triolet, the 1st, 4th, and  7th lines repeat, as do the 2nd and 8th lines.  

The rhyme scheme is quite simple:  ABaAabAB, capital letters representing the repeated lines.

As an exercise, I learned of the Triolet from Shadow Poetry recently and have come to respect the form a great deal.

You can write them in iambic tetrameter, or try it in pentameter where each line only has 10 syllables for an added challenge with 4 and 5 metrical feet, respectively, although not a requirement of the form.

The repeating lines do NOT have to be the same words per se, but MUST have the same SOUNDS..for example, line 1 could start with "I" and line 4 could start with "Eye".

Good luck!

An example for you from my first attempt at the triolet:

Fervor's Lust

In response to Percy Bysshe Shelley's "The Indian Serenade"

The night is filled with fervor's lust,
where whispers of our love is told;
and in this trance of forlorn trust,
the night is filled with fervor's lust.
Our climax swells with sun's slow thrust;
Star's gleam is lost in sorrow's hold.
The night is filled with fervor's lust,
where whispers of our love is told.

Copyright © 2003 Lorraine M Kanter

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- Cleo_Serapis   Triolet   Aug 6 03, 06:11
- - Cleo_Serapis   Do you know who the 'she' is here? Tears of Morni...   Aug 8 03, 05:57
- - JustDaniel   Triolet: an eight line poem with the following pat...   Sep 26 03, 22:03
- - Athena   My Goodness, Daniel! Thank you so very much f...   Sep 27 03, 04:29
- - Jox   Thank you Daniel; much appreciated (and I do mean ...   Sep 27 03, 09:58
- -   Each scripted line must change then move. The sent...   Oct 5 03, 16:04
- - Cleo_Serapis   Thanks super muchly (I make up my own words) Danie...   Oct 6 03, 07:26
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (AkhenhatenII @ Oct. 05 2003, 17:04)Eac...   Oct 6 03, 07:27
- -   Greetings Beloved Princess of the Nile. I apologi...   Oct 7 03, 05:17
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (AkhenhatenII @ Oct. 07 2003, 06:17)Gre...   Oct 7 03, 06:55
- -   The one I posted was an Ancient Egyptian triolet. ...   Oct 7 03, 14:29
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (AkhenhatenII @ Oct. 07 2003, 15:29)The...   Oct 7 03, 14:42
- - JustDaniel   Just in case Tom is around still... this is merely...   Feb 16 04, 14:35
- - Cleo_Serapis   QUOTE (Just Daniel @ Feb. 16 2004, 14:35)Just...   Feb 17 04, 19:49
- - JustDaniel   Thanks, Lori! I posted it for crit too, if yo...   Feb 19 04, 17:19
- -   Dear Daniel "kick it in the arse" AhA ! Brit...   Feb 19 04, 17:44
- - heartsong7   My first triolet: A Clever Phrase This muse who’...   Jul 13 04, 13:14
- - JustDaniel   A Cleaver Phase How long I now for shorter days, ...   Jul 13 04, 15:15
- - Cleo_Serapis   Let's this form back to life... Numinous Fli...   Jul 26 09, 19:38
- - JustDaniel   Remember this one, Lori? A Light Above the Wrest...   Sep 5 09, 23:12
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi Daniel, I had forgotten about this one! ...   Sep 6 09, 07:21
- - JustDaniel   Is There a Write Time ? If I've no time to w...   Apr 9 12, 09:21
- - Alan   raise a largish glass to our Charles who sings blu...   Apr 9 12, 17:31
- - Merlin   My glass is filled with nectar of the gods: Here...   Apr 9 12, 23:40
- - Alan   MARITAL TRIOLET I write a triolet per day to keep...   Apr 10 12, 13:54
- - JustDaniel   I write this triolet to play with Alan while he le...   Apr 11 12, 07:41
- - Alan   This Alan don't need instruction with triolets...   Apr 11 12, 08:41
- - JustDaniel   Dear Alan, I apologize for seeming presumptuous...   Apr 11 12, 10:05
- - Alan   MISSING MY METER - MY METIER My metier is often t...   Apr 12 12, 16:34
- - JustDaniel   Thank you for the new word for my vocabulary, Alan...   Apr 18 12, 15:27
- - Alan   Nice one Daniel ! FEE FREE Even most times, ...   Apr 19 12, 02:37
- - JustDaniel   My days are filled with walking pain; at night the...   Dec 15 18, 14:59
- - Larry   Much like the villanelle in form but short so word...   Dec 17 18, 16:06
- - JustDaniel   No reason I should sit and write concisely or with...   Dec 22 18, 21:49
- - Larry   Each form you’re wishing to perfect takes lots of ...   Dec 24 18, 23:27

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:27

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: