Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Crypt-Keeper's Irony

He wanders tombs through dark of night
in search of treasures to alight
a path to riches, sweet perfumes.
Through dark of night, he wanders tombs.

This thirst he seldom seems to quench
consuming dust’s archaic stench
whilst raiding chambers, sneers death’s curse...
he seldom seems to quench this thirst.

Inscriptions warn of punishment
in frail hereafter: life’s lament
defiled - lest one Pharaoh’s scorn
of punishment, inscriptions warn.

Adorned facade discreetly hid
Necropolis’ broken lid
that once beheld doubt’s living god --
discreetly hid, adorned facade.

In Thebes amid disunity,
Stonemasons’ opportunity
is shared in Nile’s mild reeds
amid disunity -- in Thebes.

Crypt-keepers feign incompetence
whitewashed in deben bribe's defense
while Ma’at is droned through priestly reign;
incompetence -- crypt-keepers feign.

This irony remains today,
the ones in power do betray
a nourishing of Ka campaigns.
Today, this irony remains.

Copyright © Lorraine M Kanter

Notes:
Necropolis: An extensive and elaborate burial place serving an ancient city
Deben: A measurement of cost (a copper weight of .5 ounces) used as the unit of value for exchange, calculating value directly from the weight of gold for items of higher value, and from the weight of copper for less valuable items in an economy without coinage. A simple laborers pay was equal to 100 deben for 10-15 months work.
Ma’at: The concept of order, truth and justice. After death, a person's soul is weighed against the feather of Ma'at to determine their fate in the afterworld.
ka (in Ancient Egyptian Religion): A spiritual ‘double’ of the deceased, living within the body during life, and surviving the body after death. It was believed to be one of two spirits inhabiting the body, the main component of the soul. The ka is closely tied with the ba, the personality or psychic force of the deceased.

Words used from 23 Sep Times Ten challenge: wandered (wanders), sweet, dust(s), sneer(s), quench, frail, discreetly, doubt(s) mild, murmur(s)

Original - 23 Sep 2006:

He wanders tombs indark of night
a path to riches, sweet perfumes;
in dark of night, he wanders tombs.

This thirst, he seldom seems to quench
consuming dust’s archaic stench.
He plunders chambers, sneers death’s curse;
he seldom seems to quench this thirst.

Inscriptions warn of punishment,
defiled - lest one Pharaoh’s scorn

Necropolis’ broken lid
that once beheld doubt’s living god,
discreetly hid, adorned facade.

In Thebes amid disunity,
Stonemasons’ opportunity
is shared in Nile’s mild reeds,
amid disunity in Thebes.

Crypt-keepers feign incompetence,
while priestly murmurs of Ma’at reign;
incompetence - crypt-keepers feign.

a nourishing of Ka campaigns;
today, this irony remains.

This post has been edited by Cleo_Serapis: Apr 13 08, 14:11
Reason for edit: Revised

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Cathy_*
post Sep 23 06, 18:51
Post #2

Hi Lori,

I'm kind of in a hurry but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed this. The meter is so pleasant, bouncing right along except for here... (Aren't the lines supposed to have 8 syllables?)

defiled - lest one Pharaoh’s scorn You are one syllable short in this line.

In Thebes amid disunity,
Stonemasons’ opportunity
is shared in Nile’s mild reeds, 2 syllables short here...
amid disunity in Thebes.

I will be back soon to leave further comment!

Cathy pumpkin.gif

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 23 06, 19:11
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cathy @ Sep 23 06, 19:51 ) [snapback]83934[/snapback]
Hi Lori,
Hi Cathy. arwen.gif

I'm kind of in a hurry but I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed this. The meter is so pleasant, bouncing right along except for here... (Aren't the lines supposed to have 8 syllables?)
While there is no set syllable count with SQ, I tend to write them in tetrameter habitually. gnome.gif

defiled - lest one Pharaoh’s scorn You are one syllable short in this line.
I was wondering if others would pronounce defiled as 2 syllables (DEfild) where I pronounce it as 3, DE-FY-ILD. I could change it to: desecrated - lest Pharaoh's scorn ?

In Thebes amid disunity,
Stonemasons’ opportunity
is shared in Nile’s mild reeds, 2 syllables short here...
amid disunity in Thebes.
Here above, I count Nile and Mild as 2 sylls each: NAY-EL and MAY-ELD.

I will be back soon to leave further comment!

Cathy pumpkin.gif

I look forward to your return Cathy. cheer.gif

~Cleo Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Sep 24 06, 08:37
Post #4

Hi Lori,

This guy must have guts! LOL

Just a few thoughts for you to consider... of course, you're free to bury them if you will! comedy.gif

Cathy

He wanders tombs in[through] dark of night
in[through] dark of night, he wanders tombs.

consuming dust’s archaic stench. I like the use of 'archaic'.
he seldom seems to quench this thirst. It seems he has no fear!

defiled - lest one Pharaoh’s scorn I see what you're saying about the syllable count. Different pronunciations can be a pain. Some will say it with two and some with three! Yikes! LOL

Necropolis’ broken lid
discreetly hid, adorned facade. Is the comma needed here?

In Thebes amid disunity,
Stonemasons’ opportunity
is shared in Nile’s mild reeds, When read your way it fits the flow! LOL
amid disunity in Thebes.

while priestly murmurs of Ma’at reign; If this is done in iambic (which it seems to be) than this line feels off. Shouldn't 'Ma'at' be stressed instead of 'of'?

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 28 06, 18:53
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Cathy. arwen.gif

Thanks for coming back so quickly! cheer.gif

QUOTE (Cathy @ Sep 24 06, 09:37 ) [snapback]83969[/snapback]
Hi Lori,

Ummm - yep, and some 'extras' here and there even. gnome.gif

Just a few thoughts for you to consider... of course, you're free to bury them if you will! comedy.gif

Cathy

Oh - thank you, that works a tad better than my words!

consuming dust’s archaic stench. I like the use of 'archaic'. Thanks Cathy. hsdance.gif
he seldom seems to quench this thirst. It seems he has no fear! Or he's greedy and stupid! LOL

defiled - lest one Pharaoh’s scorn I see what you're saying about the syllable count. Different pronunciations can be a pain. Some will say it with two and some with three! Yikes! LOL Yeah, that's always a hard one, but to my ear, it flows OK.

Necropolis’ broken lid
discreetly hid, adorned facade. Is the comma needed here? YES, I think so, I am separating hid from adorned.

In Thebes amid disunity,
Stonemasons’ opportunity
is shared in Nile’s mild reeds, When read your way it fits the flow! LOL Flowing down the Nile, with no deNile... Tee hee
amid disunity in Thebes.

while priestly murmurs of Ma’at reign; If this is done in iambic (which it seems to be) than this line feels off. Shouldn't 'Ma'at' be stressed instead of 'of'?
I hadn't tried to make this poem fit iambic patterns, my writing just tends to go that direction methinks. I have always pronouced Ma'at like a door 'mat'. In that sense 'murmurs is off too but I cannot choose an alternate at the moment.

Thanks Cathy for your insightful critique!

~Cleo mm.gif mm.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Sep 29 06, 07:35
Post #6

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Sep 28 06, 23:53 ) [snapback]84197[/snapback]
Hi Cathy. arwen.gif

Thanks for coming back so quickly! cheer.gif

No problem! LOL Although it doesn't always happen that way!
QUOTE (Cathy @ Sep 24 06, 09:37 ) [snapback]83969[/snapback]
Hi Lori,

Ummm - yep, and some 'extras' here and there even. gnome.gif

Yeppers! Just a few! cheer.gif

Cathy

Oh - thank you, that works a tad better than my words!

Glad to help!

consuming dust’s archaic stench. I like the use of 'archaic'. Thanks Cathy. hsdance.gif
he seldom seems to quench this thirst. It seems he has no fear! Or he's greedy and stupid! LOL

That could be!! LOL

defiled - lest one Pharaoh’s scorn I see what you're saying about the syllable count. Different pronunciations can be a pain. Some will say it with two and some with three! Yikes! LOL Yeah, that's always a hard one, but to my ear, it flows OK.And that's what counts!

Necropolis’ broken lid
discreetly hid, adorned facade. Is the comma needed here? YES, I think so, I am separating hid from adorned.I see... ballet.gif

In Thebes amid disunity,
Stonemasons’ opportunity
is shared in Nile’s mild reeds, When read your way it fits the flow! LOL Flowing down the Nile, with no deNile... Tee heeLOL
amid disunity in Thebes.

I hadn't tried to make this poem fit iambic patterns, my writing just tends to go that direction methinks. I have always pronouced Ma'at like a door 'mat'. In that sense 'murmurs is off too but I cannot choose an alternate at the moment.It just seemed to read that way till I came to that line so then I wondered. LOL I haven't thought of an alternative either. I'll be back if I do.

Thanks Cathy for your insightful critique!

~Cleo mm.gif mm.gif

Glad I could help Lori!

Cathy

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 1 06, 09:35
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cathy @ Sep 29 06, 08:35 ) [snapback]84220[/snapback]
I hadn't tried to make this poem fit iambic patterns, my writing just tends to go that direction methinks. I have always pronouced Ma'at like a door 'mat'. In that sense 'murmurs is off too but I cannot choose an alternate at the moment.It just seemed to read that way till I came to that line so then I wondered. LOL I haven't thought of an alternative either. I'll be back if I do.

Glad I could help Lori!

Cathy

Hi again Cathy. wave.gif

Yes, I can't think of one either at this time. dunce.gif They are murmuring the Ma'at concept.

Thanks for stopping by!
~Cleo mm.gif mm.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 15 07, 18:12
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Revision now posted.

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Sep 28 07, 07:36
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

bump.gif

Seeking feedback on latest revision.

TY!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Oct 13 07, 10:27
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Before I forget, thanks Sylvia (Psyche) for your nom on this one for Member Choice. I'm away at present but will post the poll there when time permits...

Cheers
~Cleo cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 5 08, 21:25
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Any more comments/reviews? I'm getting ready to call this one a 'WRAP' lol tut.gif for inclusion in the SQ chapbook and weclome any further comments you may have.

Thanks!
~Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Mar 16 08, 19:07
Post #12

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hey Lori,

I remember this, I believe I remember it before this posting and it was one of those poems that led me to fall completely in love with the form. The form truly highlights the subject and the images here. I am impressed.

I've reread this a couple of times and found nothing I would change at this point, but had to comment on the strong end rhymes. How masterfully each exchange line reads unintrusively and smooth, so smooth infact that they are barely noticable until I contemplate the Form.

This is a winner. This is still active in our forum, would it be ok to nominate it for IBPC~

Hugs, Liz ...

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 16 08, 19:18
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hey there Liz,

Why thank you! I'm fond of this one for form and message and I'd be honored to accept your nomination! WOW! cheer.gif

I hope you'll try a swap or two again and perhaps I will too! It's been a while and I look forward to reading your work again soon!

Cheers,
~Cleo tut.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Mar 17 08, 08:22
Post #14

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

This poem has been nominated for IBPC ... :)

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 13 08, 14:05
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

thanks.gif so much, Liz!

hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Apr 13 08, 15:21
Post #16

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear All,
It was a great SQ when first posted and even better now. Probably the best exhibit its developer has written and worthy of the competition.
It should be too, the pride of the chapbook.
By the way, when will the chapbook appear?
Cheers, Ron jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 13 08, 16:10
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thank you very much, Ron. cheer.gif cloud9.gif

I completely forgot about it this past month. I had mentioned it to Lindi last month too, that I need to get back and finish up the design work on it. There was one person that I didn't get a bio from nor have heard from (Michelle) so I may have to exclude her poem.

I'll plan to get it on my radar next weekend, Ron. Thanks for the nudge! boat.gif

~Cleo airplane.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:58

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: