post Jun 5 04, 19:39
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Golden Flames (slight revision - TY Eisa and Merlin!))

With downcast eyes they do not see
a life once bright, hear the melody
of souls dancing on restored wings
in golden flames, a treasure brings.

If I could give to you, my plea
my love I’d offer endlessly.
By boundless blood, we'd share beliefs
embracing times of joy or grief.

In that sweet dream you’d come to me
on laden twigs of carriage glee.
A harpsichord of newborn life
adorns the fairest face of strife.

I find solace in churchyard sea
where waves of life inspirit me.
In death’s unholy glow there shines
serenity in memories shrines.

With downcast eyes they do not see
a life once bright, hear the melody
of souls dancing on restored wings
in golden flames, a treasure brings.

Copyright © 2004 Lorraine M Kanter

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Merlin
post Jun 6 04, 11:07
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 66
Writer of: Poetry

Hi Cleo,

I have not posted yet, so you are unable to do unto me as I shall be doing unto you.  I expect that will change, however, for the present, feel free to simply tell me where to go right here!

Still in my “getting to know ya” stage, I see that critique is given extensively here, even if it is the gentle page.  I’ll strive for a balancing act.

Firstly, I like the title, both visually and effectively.

In L2, I’d suggest you describe “so”.
L3 – describe “the” (long, short, clipped, soaring, broken, etc)
L4 – “golden flames” would flow better
V1 – leaves me wondering who “they” are; you switch to “I” in V2.

V2L1 – clarity needed (one what?) and punctuation at end?
L3 – inversion for rhyme sake? Tsk tsk.
L4 – “bless” is verb transitive, requires an object.  Gesundheit!

There has been much discussion regarding elisions; some like, some dislike them.  Often they are not required, as the spoken language doesn’t necessarily pronounce all the syllables – chocolate, fer instance, is choc-lat, plain and simple.  No need to hook it at all.  ‘Memories’ could pass without the hook, too.

You present nice imagery, with effective use of devices – subtle alliteration, metaphor, etc.  

There tis.

Merlin

Wizard.gif

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 6 04, 12:29
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Merlin @ June 06 2004, 12:07)
Hi Cleo,

Firstly, I like the title, both visually and effectively.
Thanks - I just inversed it - so I do hope the meaning is still the same! I alwys try and use something within my poems for the titles, I just think it solidifies them more that way.

In L2, I’d suggest you describe “so”.
Done. I've changed 'so' to 'once'.

L3 – describe “the” (long, short, clipped, soaring, broken, etc)
Here, I've changed 'spirits' to 'souls' and 'the' to restored' - what do you think?

L4 – “golden flames” would flow better
YES - TY! done.... cheer.gif

V1 – leaves me wondering who “they” are; you switch to “I” in V2.
This was on purpose.... 'They' refers to non-believers of an after-life.

V2L1 – clarity needed (one what?) and punctuation at end?
I still need work here. One - is the 'moment'...

L3 – inversion for rhyme sake? Tsk tsk.
L4 – “bless” is verb transitive, requires an object.  Gesundheit!
I'll re-visit those two lines.... Thanks!

There has been much discussion regarding elisions; some like, some dislike them.  Often they are not required, as the spoken language doesn’t necessarily pronounce all the syllables – chocolate, fer instance, is choc-lat, plain and simple.  No need to hook it at all.  ‘Memories’ could pass without the hook, too.

You present nice imagery, with effective use of devices – subtle alliteration, metaphor, etc.  

There tis.
Merlin
Wizard.gif

Thanks very much Eric!
Cheers!
~Cleo sun.gif

Hi Merlin!

Thanks for stoping in on this one - as you can now see -I've changed the title and made a few adjustments already.  :StarWars1:

Please see my other comments within your quote...

Look forward to reading your works soon!
Cheers.  :cheer:
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jun 8 04, 03:01
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Hi Lori

Another wonderful poem here, full of vibrant imagery.

My thoughts follow much of what Merlin has already said, so I will not repeat them. Only one more thought, is the word `boundless' which I would scan BOUNDless, but you have used the meter the other way round, putting the stress on LESS. I suppose this could be  a variation in accents?

This was a great  read anyway

Snow:D

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 8 04, 05:12
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Eisa @ June 08 2004, 04:01)
Hi Lori

Another wonderful poem here, full of vibrant imagery.

My thoughts follow much of what Merlin has already said, so I will not repeat them. Only one more thought, is the word `boundless' which I would scan BOUNDless, but you have used the meter the other way round, putting the stress on LESS. I suppose this could be  a variation in accents?

This was a great  read anyway

Snow :D

Hi Snow!  :StarWars1:

Thanks for stopping by!

Yes - thanks for your observation also with that line!

I am planning to re-work both those lines:

we’d share our faith by blood boundless
prolonging moments, I would bless.

I almost thought of inverting them but alas - still need a better end rhyme!  :speechless:

By blood boundless, we'd share our faith
prolonging moments _ _ _ ?

Glad you enjoyed!
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jun 8 04, 08:26
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Hi Lori

I'm back again wave.gif

Just had a thought that might help you problem.

QUOTE(Cleo_Serapis @ June 08 2004, 05:12)
we’d share our faith by blood boundless
prolonging moments, I would bless.

I almost thought of inverting them but alas - still need a better end rhyme!  Speechless.gif

By blood boundless, we'd share our faith
prolonging moments _ _ _ ?

If you changed `faith' to `belief' it would be easier to rhyme and you could have something like

"by boundless blood, we'd share beliefs
embracing times of joy or grief"

Hope this might help angel.gif

Snow lovie.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 9 04, 09:33
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks Snow!

I like your idea - and I've also revamped S2L1 also...
Cheers!
~Cleo laugh.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 22:07

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: