jgdittier
post Jul 21 04, 11:25
Post #2

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58
Writer of: Poetry

Dear Tao,
My simplest description for good poetry is that for one reason or another, it makes the reader smile.
"Concoctions" is to me a concoction of marvelous inventiveness,
featuring multiple concoctions each of which takes the reader to a higher level of "attitude adjustment" and finally to nirvana.
To me its cadence varies but pleasantly and its rhyme scheme fits the subject so well.
I suspect even the verse loving tea-totaler(?) will smile broadly as he reads this.
Nicely done!
Cheers,     jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Tao_*
post Jul 21 04, 14:52
Post #3

Hi jgd,

It's been a few rounds. How have you been? wave.gif

To amend your definition of good poetry, I like a piece when a it makes me smile...and cry and be surprised, or feel blue or confused, anything but nothing - kind of like booze. Speechless.gif

This actually began as free verse and I had no intention of adding any structure, but the rhymester in me refused to obey and I was not drunk enough to leave the meter be. Oh well! :drill:

Thanks for your feedback. Let me know when you find nirvana, or the tea-totaler. Until then, hit me again... laugh.gif

David

p.s. Did you see my reply to your Paraphrase, Polonius to Leartes?

JLY
post Jul 22 04, 06:09
Post #4

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Referred By:Larry Carr

David,
I enjoyed your creative flair to build something fun around this subject matter.  It caused me to think of other fancy drinks you could have added...this is so much fun, I think you should add another verse or two.  This is most refreshing on a hot, hazy and humid day in NJ.
JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Tao_*
post Jul 22 04, 10:55
Post #5

Hi JLY,

Thanks for stopping by. I'm afraid my knowledge of fancy cocktails is running dry! I may have one or two more and then I'm staring at the bottom of an empty glass. Would you have suggestions? I'll try to add them to this sordid account.

I’m quite familiar with NJ, been up and down the turnpike a few times and spent summers in Westfield. My aunt had a large basement at her house so I kept cool during my visits. At least where you’re at is better than the other side of the river. It gets really humid and stuffy in the city. laugh.gif

David the salty dog

Cybele
post Jul 23 04, 09:37
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Hello David,  :dance:

Lord! that sounds like quite a night!  I used to be able to do this in my far distant youth, but now two glasses of wine have exactly the same affect on me!!  :speechless:  :sings:

I love

or the frozen daiquiri
who decorated me
strawberry,

A very clever piece David, which made me smile broadly. Thank you for the diversion.

Love

Grace
farmer.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Tao_*
post Jul 23 04, 09:58
Post #7

Dear Grace,

I wasn't sure if these cocktails would exist or have the same names around the world. Guess they do! I thought the ladies would like the "strawberry" phrase - a peep into relationships. lovie.gif

Aye, I'm afraid my wild days are behind me too, no more than a couple of glasses of wine myself. Think I'll write a sequal to this using wine names - now there's some material! laugh.gif

Love
David

Siren
post Jul 23 04, 18:00
Post #8

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 13

David,

This was some ride. Made me smile and have so much fun in the read. You did good here.

Dani

·······IPB·······

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

Guest_Tao_*
post Jul 23 04, 20:38
Post #9

Hi Dani,

I'm curious just how common these cocktails are. Have you encountered all of them before? I wonder if some of them are American creations. I referenced the names of 15 drinks here. How many did you recognize? detective.gif

Glad I was able to make you smile. Here's another. :)

David

Guest_Pandora_*
post Jul 23 04, 20:38
Post #10

This one made me smile!   laugh.gif And reminded me of those strenuous college daze! Trying to remember where you parked the car the next morning was the only hard part! And sleep.. why that's for the weak! Eating a 4 am without the slightest bit of heartburn too! Those were the days and they are gone! Lucky if I make past midnight now!

or the disturbed white Russian,
or that stir crazy
pink Kamikaze
who turned my whiskey sour
and me into a walking zombie?

Love it!
angel.gif Laura

Guest_Tao_*
post Jul 23 04, 21:02
Post #11

Hi Laura,

Glad to see you smile. Haven't "run in" to you for a while! You must be probing the depths of the more sophisticated forums while I coward in shallow waters. :)

I wonder how many people know about the Pink Kamikaze? My first encounter with it was in a hidden, no name bar outside Ames, Iowa. Luckily, discretion was the better part of my valor and I didn't get to know her too well.

So you were a wild one then? Funny thing is I was never much the drinker, but put a little sugar and juice in it and I'll try anything once! Jester.gif

Boy, talk about those good old days! I used to hang out at the pool hall or bowling alley all night, venturing out only to Steak and Eggs for the full ration - steak and Eggs - somewhere between the witching hour and sunrise. Yes, where has our energy gone, our courage, our invincibility, our stomachs? Now, I begin to fade after 11pm. LOL.gif

Thank you for the trip down Lost and Found Lane, you ex-party animal! sings.gif

David

Siren
post Jul 24 04, 10:26
Post #12

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 13

Actually David,

My dad used to drink, so I am familiar with most of the names here. I also have been reading romance novels for over 18 years and well they are educational, not to mention TV sitcoms and movies too. :)

The only one I don't know of is "frozen daiquiri". I myself have tried some vodka, white and red wine, Champagne and the one and only Jack Daniels. (if I remember correctly) LOL!

Hope this helps.

Daniah

·······IPB·······

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

Guest_Tao_*
post Jul 24 04, 11:26
Post #13

Hi Daniah,

A daiquiri is an iced cocktail of rum, lime or lemon juice, and sugar. It's usually whipped in a blender with crushed ice until it becomes thick. I believe it has a Latin American origin. But then again, there are "ethnic" things in the USA with supposed foreign origins that can't be found in the form known here anywhere else - American creations! Cowboy.gif

"JD, Jack Daniels, and coke" is terrific! Romance novels for 18 years? Hmmm, that explains everything... Jester.gif

Thanks for the education - learning more about your part of the world. :)

David

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 10:19

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: