Cybele
post Nov 6 05, 14:22
Post #1

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS

The rose lay crushed and dying in a puddle on the cracked pavement.

The flower-seller had long since packed up and gone home. Light from the meagre street lamp reflected the blood red petals.  Mavis stooped to retrieve the flower. Her chapped hands in ragged mitts clasped the stem and a thorn pricked her skin drawing blood of the same shade as the dying bloom. Mavis sucked at the small puncture wound and the warm, brassy taste of blood filled her mouth. With effort, she straightened up, placed the rose on top of the shopping trolley which held a few plastic bags and boxes, all her worldly possessions, and carried on towards the park.  The wheels of the trolley protested and squeaked and kept trying to wander off to the right. Mavis had to expend what little energy she had left to correct the direction. She muttered guttural curses and kicked at the wheels.

She turned into the High Street where lights were bright and loud Christmas music poured from the crowded shops. Last minute shoppers, weighed down by gaily coloured boxes and with bags draped over their arms pushed past Mavis without giving her a glance, except for the woman in the fur coat, whose face wrinkled in disgust at the aroma Mavis was giving off. She turned swiftly away and strode off in the other direction a look of total disgust on her over-made up features.

Mavis sniffed philosophically. She had seen it all before and now it was like water off a duck’s back.

She reached the corner of the high street and crossed the very busy road against the lights. Impatient motorists blew their horns angrily at her and she returned their chorus with a V sign and an extended tongue. She took her time about crossing the road, which brought further shouts and curses from the nearest drivers who had now rolled down their windows, despite the bitter chill of the Christmas Eve night air, to add their abuse.

Once she had reached the pavement she headed for the dumpster behind the supermarket.  She rummaged around and came up with a thick cardboard box. Poor pickings tonight though, the only one she could find smelt very strongly of the fish it had once held. It made little difference to Mavis, she had slept with worse smells than this before now.

She reached the open parkland and headed for her favourite bench.

Tomorrow would be very different, she thought, She had a nice warm bed booked in the shelter and there would be hot soup and bread and with any luck maybe a mince pie and custard.  

She reached the bench by the lake. Good, she was in luck, the bench was empty. She sank on to the hard wooden slats gratefully and recovered her breath before rummaging in the trolley for the night’s essentials.

She had had a great stroke of luck earlier in the day when Aggie from the charity shop had seen her passing and run out to present her with a large duvet, slightly stained but otherwise in good condition. With the cardboard to protect her old bones from the slats on the bench and the duvet to keep her warm she reckoned she would be snug as a bug in a rug.

She scratched absent-mindedly at her grizzled hair, which was matted with dirt. Tomorrow she would be given a piece of soap and a towel and she would have the luxury of a shower before being waited on hand and foot by the volunteers at the shelter. She smiled widely and her cracked and yellowed dentures moved loosely in her mouth.

Time for supper. Mavis fished out one of her plastic bags, which held a stale bread roll, and a piece of cheese that Charlie at the all night café had saved especially for her. Charlie was one of the few people in the world Mavis trusted. His heart was in the right place alright, and he always left a few titbits in their secret hiding place behind the dustbins whenever he could.

The roll was rubbery and Mavis had some problem chewing it since her teeth were not the best fit in the world, but it tasted okay and the cheese was wonderful.

Halfway through her repast a form appeared on the path heading towards her. As the man passed under the lamppost Mavis recognised George Kemp the park attendant, taking one last patrol before heading off to his warm home for the Christmas Holidays. As he approached, he spotted Mavis and call out cheerfully.

‘Bit chilly tonight sweetheart. Are you warm enough there?’

Mavis indicated her new acquisition of the duvet and grinned lewdly at George, ‘Reckon I’ll be warm enough George. Fancy a quick cuddle?’

George laughed heartily in reply, he was well used to Mavis and her nonsense.

‘Thanks for the offer darling, but the missus is waiting for me to get home with the Christmas tree. You all set for tomorrow?’

‘Yeah’ replied Mavis through a mouthful of bread and cheese, ‘Got a room booked at the Dorchester hotel for the night with an ‘on sweet‘ shower and full board!’ she cackled quietly and continued munching on her roll.

‘Great’ said George, ‘I hoped I’d find you here. Got something for you.’ Seeing the expression  on her face, he hurried on ‘It’s not much mind, just a little something from me and Ada.’

He held out a small package wrapped in brown paper and tied with  string.

Mavis studied the package for a moment, wiped the remains of the cheese from her mouth with the sleeve of here coat and took the proffered gift.

‘I’ll leave you to it Mavis, got to push on now. Have a great time tomorrow and I’ll see you after the holidays.’

George moved off quickly and Mavis glanced after him and shouted to his retreating back. ‘Thanks George, an’ Merry Christmas to you an’ Ada.' George half-turned and gave a cheery wave before hurrying on.

When he had finally disappeared around a corner, Mavis glanced down at the package. She raised it to her ear and gave it a shake but no sound issued from within.

Prolonging the suspense, Mavis found the half bottle of beer she had stashed in the trolley and took a long swig while eying the package.  

She placed the bottle beside her and started to untie the string. Her eyes were slightly moist which didn’t help with the task in hand. She could not remember having a Christmas Present for fifty years or more.

Her thoughts drifted back to the children’s home she had run away from at the age of fifteen. She had been out on her own ever since. That last Christmas she had been given a present like all the other children. These gifts had been donated by the local shops and consisted for the most part of lines which had stopped selling.

Her present had been a scarf, soft and floaty and entirely unsuitable for a fifteen-year-old girl. Although she had loved to hold the scarf, running the silky material through her fingers, she knew she would never have anything decent to wear to show it off.

The night before, she had packed her few belongings and retrieving the bag from its hiding place under the stairs she had gone in search of Lil. She had pressed the scarf into the hands of her best friend. ‘Maybe one day you’ll get the chance to wear this Lil. Someone will come along soon and take you home to live with them, you’re so pretty.’

They had embraced and a tearful Lil had begged her not to go, but Mavis was adamant. She had to get away. Unlike Lil, she knew no one would ever come for her now, she was too old.

She finally managed to unpick the knots in the string and carefully removed the brown paper. Always useful, was brown paper. Inside was a small lacquered box, reddish black in colour and shining as if it had just been polished.

There was a tiny gold key sellotaped to the top of the box together with an envelope. Mavis opened the envelope, careful not to rip the paper. Life had taught her that everything had a use, if you just kept it long enough. She removed the card from inside and tucked the envelope inside one of the boxes in the trolley.

The front of the card depicted a nativity scene in beautiful colours with lots of glitter and a big star hanging over the stable. She opened the card very slowly, savouring the moment. Inside were the words

At Christmastime....with love

It was signed 'from George and Ada' in a rather spidery hand.

Taped to the left side of the card was a £5 note!

Mavis’s jaw dropped. She couldn’t remember when she had last possessed so much money!  She swiftly removed the note and buried it deep in a pocket hidden within the layers of her ragged clothing.

Shaking her head slowly from side to side she turned her attention to the box. She inserted the little key and slowly opened the lid. As she did so a tiny ballerina, perched on one pointed shoe started to twirl slowly to the thin, but sweet sound of music and Mavis found herself regarding her reflection in the mirror set in lid of the box.

Swiftly looking away from the haggard woman in the mirror she watched the ballerina, stunned by the beauty of the tiny figure, and the blue velvet lining of the box.  Mavis slowly closed the lid and then after a few short excited breaths opened the lid again and watched, enchanted,as the ballerina started to dance again.

Gradually the music died and the ballerina stopped dancing.  

It was the most beautiful thing she had ever possessed in her long life!

Lifting the box she felt something underneath and turning it over gingerly, she found a brass bar, a bit like a handle. She grasped it awkwardly with her rheumy old fingers and painfully gave it a slight turn. It turned easily and she realised it was some sort of winding key. When it was fully wound she opened the box again and the ballerina danced faster to the music.

Mavis sat back stunned! She finished the last of the beer and dumped the bottle in the litter bin beside her. She laid the cardboard out on the bench and settled down. Just before she composed herself for sleep, she retrieved the rose from the trolley, placed it in the music box and grasping it tightly, drew the duvet around her bony shoulders.

Her last thoughts were of tomorrow and what she would buy with her windfall. She buried her head beneath the duvet and opened the box a crack. The perfume of the heavily scented rose filled her nostrils, overpowering the smell of fish.

She smiled contentedly and drifted into sleep.

(All rights reserved by grace Galton as an unpublished work)

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 6 05, 14:42
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Thank you for your Holiday entry!  :holly:

Best of luck to you!  :dove:

May the 'classic' holiday spirit be shared in your heart throughout the season!  :blueorn:

~ Mosaic Musings Staff  :knight:  :pharoah:  :viking:  :vic:  :troy:  :roman:  :cali:  :tut:  :knight:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Nov 10 05, 08:29
Post #3

Hi Grace,

This is such a sweet, tender story.  

Good luck in the competition!

Cathy   dove.gif  :holly:  :dove:

Guest_Nina_*
post Nov 10 05, 14:32
Post #4

Hi Grace

You manage to combine very well the sadness and goodness in Society today sadness that in 21st century people have no option but to leave on the street but a glimmer of hope that there are caring people around.

Well done with this and good luck in the competition.

Nina

Peterpan
post Nov 11 05, 09:35
Post #5

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 127
Referred By:Jox

Thank you Grace for a lovely end to my Friday afternoon. I felt myself drifting into Mavis' world...smelling and feeling everything. I think it is a lesson to all of us to appreciate all things in life?

Thank you for sharing it.

Good luck with the competition.

PP
:)

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Blank_Canvas
post Nov 12 05, 20:47
Post #6

Greek

Member No.: 15

Grace,
    This touches on the things we so take for granted in our lives. Also, I would hope it would instill some tolerance and charity to those who have so much less. If each of us would purchase 1 additional gift, every Chrismas, wrap it nicely, enclose a holiday card with the Christmas message and look around for a needy soul to bless on the holiday eve....how many people would we have a positive impact on ?
Or share a plate of our holiday meal with a lonely neighbor, or shut-in....or a gift for a needy child. Food for thought and action, my friends.....Bless someone this Christmas.....
                                    Marcia sun.gif

·······IPB·······

"...We are born into the world like a blank canvas
and every person that crosses our path takes up the brush and makes their mark upon our surface.
So it is that we develop.
But we must realize there comes a day that we must take up the brush and finish the work. For only we can determine if we are to be just another painting or a masterpiece..."

1981 Javan (from the book " Meet Me Halfway" )

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Nov 13 05, 01:25
Post #7

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Grace,

This is a well written heart warming, and poignant story. Most fitting for the contest... There is poetry within the prose which allows the reader to speak the words aloud and hear the songlike tone of the passages.

Good luck with the contest, Big Hugs... Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Nov 14 05, 17:39
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Hi Cathy, sun.gif

This is such a sweet, tender story.

I am glad you enjoyed it Cathy. I have watched women like Mavis, putting on a hard outer skin to protect themselves from hurt. Homeless people would find it extremely hard to adjust to what we call a normal routine. The thought seems alien to them, but I have also witnessed little acts of kindness like this and have seen the effect on them.

We can help people like Mavis only in the ways they will permit us to help. They do not want or seek sympathy but a little human kindness goes a long way.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Nov 14 05, 17:44
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

Hello Nina,

You manage to combine very well the sadness and goodness in Society today sadness that in 21st century people have no option but to leave on the street but a glimmer of hope that there are caring people around.

Thank you Nina, for your kind comments.  It is heartening to see that there are more and more shelters providing accommodation and food over the Christmas period for the homeless. It may not be much, but it is a step in the right direction.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Nov 14 05, 17:50
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Hi Bev  :sun:

Thank you Grace for a lovely end to my Friday afternoon. I felt myself drifting into Mavis' world...smelling and feeling everything. I think it is a lesson to all of us to appreciate all things in life?

I am very pleased that the imagery came across for you. If only we realised how very much we had to be grateful for. I don't think we can ever achieve true happiness until we learn to appreciate the little things and not crave for those things that are beyond our reach.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Nov 14 05, 17:59
Post #11

Ornate Oracle

Hi Marcia,

This touches on the things we so take for granted in our lives. Also, I would hope it would instill some tolerance and charity to those who have so much less. If each of us would purchase 1 additional gift, every Chrismas, wrap it nicely, enclose a holiday card with the Christmas message and look around for a needy soul to bless on the holiday eve....how many people would we have a positive impact on ?
Or share a plate of our holiday meal with a lonely neighbor, or shut-in....or a gift for a needy child. Food for thought and action, my friends.....Bless someone this Christmas.....

Over the past few years I have become involved in a scheme called 'Christmas Child'. We collect shoe boxes, decorate them wih christmas paper and put in little essentials like toothpaste and brushes hats, scarves and a few toys. These are then collected and driven out to places like Russia and Albania, Czechoslovakia, and Bulgaria and distributed among the orphaned children who were abandoned by their parents under the old regimes. It provides a little spark of happiness, but what they really crave is human contact and a hug. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to go out there with them because you have to be under 60, which I think is totally ludicrous when I want so much to help. Some of these children have never felt the touch of a kind hand in the whole of their lives.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Nov 14 05, 18:01
Post #12

Ornate Oracle

Hi Liz, sun.gif

This is a well written heart warming, and poignant story. Most fitting for the contest... There is poetry within the prose which allows the reader to speak the words aloud and hear the songlike tone of the passages.

Thank you Liz, I am very pleased that you enjoyed this and that the message came across. It makes the writing well worth while!  :dove:

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 16:52

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: