post Aug 20 03, 06:14
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

In the Villanelle, the first five stanzas are triplets (or tercets), and the last stanza is a quatrain such that the rhyme scheme is as follows: "aba aba aba aba aba abaa." Thus a Villanelle has 19 lines. The 1st and 3rd lines from the first stanza are alternately repeated such that the 1st line becomes the last line in the second stanza, and the 3rd line becomes the last line in the third stanza. The last two lines of the poem are lines 1 and 3 respectively, making a rhymed couplet. There are only two rhymes in the usual villanelle, placed strategically in the poem. A villanelle needs no particular meter or line length.

One of the most noted of these that is a splendid example is one by Dylan Thomas, "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night."

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light!

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse me, bless me, now with your fierce tears, I pray.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- Cleo_Serapis   Villanelle   Aug 20 03, 06:14
- - JustDaniel   Well, I sure ain't no Dylan Thomas, but here...   Oct 27 03, 07:16
- - Athena   Hi Daniel,   Please forgive my multiple months ...   Jan 31 04, 04:05
- -   Dear Daniel Very nice ! Dear Dolly, I know ...   Jan 31 04, 05:46
- - Athena   Thank you so much, Alan!  That's really sw...   Jan 31 04, 06:18
- -   Dear Dolly Since you say you don't have time ...   Jan 31 04, 16:38
- - Don   Commenting upon IF ONLY I COULD CLEAR MY MIND ghos...   Feb 5 04, 12:49
- -   Dear All, As I wite new, or stumble upon older vi...   Mar 13 04, 07:36
- - heartsong7   Encounter It was the most God awful ugly cat and ...   Jul 17 04, 20:14
- - JustDaniel   This one awaits critique in the the crit forums......   Jul 18 04, 02:44
- - Cathy   I'm not real good at this but here goes! ...   Nov 11 04, 12:15
- - JustDaniel   I'm not a Villain 'ell, I'm Just Vanil...   Apr 13 05, 02:16
- - JustDaniel   [ I'm offering this one for Don.  It's a r...   Apr 15 05, 16:34
- - Don   Toying with a Villanelle By Just Daniel for discu...   Apr 16 05, 19:37
- - JustDaniel   Hmmm... Did you enjoy it?  or was it just work, Do...   Apr 17 05, 05:22
- - Don   Hi Daniel, Though a lot of work, due to code tran...   Apr 17 05, 07:49
- - JustDaniel   I'll look forward to it, Don.  There's no ...   Apr 17 05, 12:01
- - jgdittier   Dear All, I am slowly getting the lay of the land....   Apr 28 05, 09:40
- - Don   Hi jgdittier, Your presence, among a few others, ...   Apr 28 05, 10:35
- - AMETHYST   Temptation's Time--Villanelle #2... Why steer a...   Oct 31 05, 12:28
- - Maxim   I tried this form after coming across it a year or...   Nov 1 05, 12:56
- - AMETHYST   Hello Maxim, You've met this form with a master...   Nov 5 05, 14:25
- - JustDaniel   Since there is a villanelle posted in the critique...   Nov 21 15, 03:25
- - Larry   Hi Daniel, Loved it and will try to write somethi...   Nov 22 15, 17:45
- - Larry   Reflections When youth was just a blush upon my c...   Dec 11 15, 10:12
- - JustDaniel   Good grief, Larry!!! Except for the a...   Dec 11 15, 11:08
- - Larry   Hi Daniel, Thanks for stopping by. I guess great...   Dec 11 15, 18:08

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 05:38

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: