A great win: a win by panels of light.

'You beeauty! You beauty! My darlin',
we came to the city an won.
A man down in Sydney from Grafton,
from Grafton, and that’s how it’s done.

Arnfinn

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
JustDaniel
post Jul 24 04, 12:33
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Out the gate in a flash without stumble...
only run-ons a-here and a-there.
Semi-colons will help ya; they're humble.
You c'n halter 'em most anywhere!

Hey, Arne... I like this, though the meter varies a bit and your use of CAPS is a bit inconsistent too.

One stanza (S4) in particular I'd suggest:

She was quiet in her gate and ready
to fly; there’d be no holding back.

I have never gone to that track, except as a child once or twice at our Western Washington State Fair in Puyallup, WA... I think with my dad.  I only have a hazy memory of it.

Lightly dashin', Daniel dance.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Brahms_*
post Jul 24 04, 13:35
Post #3

Arnfinn, good skilled simple reading for
these appreciative eyes.

Stephen

Cybele
post Jul 24 04, 14:20
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Cor strewth Arn!!   dance.gif  :dance:

Ya got me so excited there I pretty near chewed up me betting slip - and I was on Maidenhair to win!

What a romp!  Me mate grabbed the bins while I was still wearing 'em and nearly choked the lights outta me!!   Speechless.gif

What say we share the loot and find that pub, only this time we can go in and have a proper quaff, fair dinkum? Fish 'n chips to follow. Great day out mate. No nits, I enjoyed meself too much. LOL.gif

Love

Grace
farmer.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jul 24 04, 14:52
Post #5

Ornate Oracle

Man! Wishin' I could speak the language like you two!  I just finished watching the movie "A Place to Call Home" an' I'm feelin' a bit sheepish, mates!
grittin' Lightly, Daniel  Speechless.gif

P.S.  By the way, is this a collaboration piece?

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 27 04, 05:48
Post #6

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17

Ha, Daniel my friend, made a few edits. T'ank you.

Yeah, the filly changes stride a couple o times. Mate, she was only having a bit of blow to save her energy. :pharoah2

My horse, my horse, for a kingdom.

Arnie troy.gif  :troy:  :farmer:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 27 04, 05:59
Post #7

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Hi Stephen,

Your always strumming ya guitar on the range, aint ya mate. While rounden-up those little dogies, yodelayee, yodelayee, yodelaaaheee. Slap ya moke on the rump and ride up into the timber. I thought you would appreciate a bit of equine hoofprints thunderin across the S4 paddock.

Thanks mate.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrne farmer.gif  :troy:  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 27 04, 06:21
Post #8

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

How are ya Grace?

Hey, ya got to be careful, once ya chew the nunbers off ya bookie's ticket the bludgers wont pay ya. What do you mean share the loot at the pub. We'll buy the pub. Cleaned up a bundle, made enough to choke a wombat. Fish n' Chips sounds fine, followed by half a dozen 'brut' VB lager. dance.gif

I couldn't find any nits either, used a currie comb.

Arnie troy.gif  :troy:  :farmer:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 27 04, 06:34
Post #9

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Back again Daniel?

Nah, Grace and I dont get inta any of that treason stuff. Grace is a good cobber, she spent some time downunder and speaks real English. Mate, I might have seen that picture, was Lassie in it? Hey hang on, your from New York, US aren't you? Yet you write very good English.

Good for you to drop back in to say hello. wave.gif

Arnie troy.gif  :troy:  :indianchief:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Guest_Tao_*
post Jul 28 04, 11:58
Post #10

Aye Arnie,

It's always a joy to read your scribbling, uh, masterpieces. Love that Kuala flavored wit! Haven’t missed any of your postings yet, have I? And now I know what’s a bush verse!

This be a four-footed, flood-footed, lighthearted, down pouring, downtrodden trot to the finish line. I think the meter very fit for a runaway gallop! I bounced silly with thy filly!

"You beeauty! You beauty! My darlin,"
are you sure the maiden is a horse?
Think I've used that same line on bi-peds,
but the beasts ran faster than thoroughbreds!

If I'd only made enough to choke a wombat... LOL.gif

David Cowboy.gif

jgdittier
post Jul 28 04, 16:04
Post #11

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear All,
Anyone know of a book comparing English, aussie english and american english idioms?
Your picturesque language is the cat's meow.
Cheers,    jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jul 28 04, 22:23
Post #12

Ornate Oracle

Hey, Arne!  

Gait much improved and natural.  S9 has c couple punctuation problems, methinks, but otherwise a wonderful description that puts a person into it. And not sure whether he let you know, but Del Livingston loved this one!

She turned her head as she passed me,    Maybe a period?
Oh, what a wonderful sight.                       Maybe an exclamation point
To lead all the way for nine furlongs,           Maybe em-dash?   then...
A great win: a win by panels of light.
      perhaps a small a

limpin' Slightly, Daniel  :)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 29 04, 05:27
Post #13

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Hi David,

I've met a few fast fillys in my younger days too, mate. Ya know back in the days when women didn't have legs they had ankles, so ya never knew how fast the could run. laugh.gif

David if you made enough money to choke a wombat. You wouldn't be writing poetry, you'd be a publisher. :blues:

Arnie troy.gif  :troy:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 29 04, 05:45
Post #14

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Hi J'

Only thing that comes to my mind is an Australian produced comic book. I'll tell you somethin jg, I hope I'm not like nextdoors tomcat, at 3am in the morning. He has about thirteen variations to his meow. But by various ways, I've whittled them down to about six. Get rid of the final six n' he should disappear. cool.gif

Good ta hear from ya.

Regards,

Arnie troy.gif  :knight:

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 29 04, 06:55
Post #15

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

laugh.gif

Hi Daniel,

Mate, this is the third visit! Must be your shout, make mine a schooner of VB.

Daniel me old cobber, your the perfectionist and I'm the blunderer. Love reading your poetry. Why! Because ya do everything correctly. Here I am sitting at my desk with my silver wireless mouse for company, and me silver n' black 'w' keyboard. I just thump them out, mate. Behind my computer, on the wall, are two bookshelves. Wait on I'll measure. The bottom shelve is 400 mm from my pudgy nose. Right!  I'll list the books on the bottom shelf.

A dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms (Wilks). Bloomsbury Dictionary of Quoatations. The Making of the Labor Party in New South Wales 1800 - 1900. The Penguin Crossword Dictionary.The Penguin Guide to Puctuation. Listen to the Warm, Rod McKuen. Our Australia Bush Ballads to Modern Visions. Miroslav Holub Selected Verse. Introduction to english poetry (James Fenton). The Penguin dictionary of Cliche`s. Designs in Poetry (Peterson). The Penguin  Thesaurus. The Penguin Rhyming Dictionary. The Penguin Dictionary of English Idioms. The Penguin English Dictionary. Form and Feeling (Hamilton & Livingston). The Penguin  Usage and Abusage. The Penguin Writers Manual. The Penguin Mind the Gaffe. The Penguin Dictionary of English Grammar. The Penguin Guide to Plain English. The Penguin  Complete Plain Words.  The Penguin Dictionary of Proverbs. The New Penguin Dictionary of Abbreviations. Roget's Thesaurus. The Penguin  Modern Humorous Quotations. The Penguin  Collected Poems of A.E Housman.  The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology. The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs. The Penguin Dictionary of Modern Humorous Quotations. The Complete Poetry and Selected Prose of Keats (Modern Library College Edition) The Penguin  Spelling Dictionary.

:operagal: Mate, there's more penguins on the bottom Shelf than there is at the South Pole. laugh.gif  laugh.gif

The top shelf has.

The Penguin Dictionary of Australian Politics. A bee in your bonnet (R brasch). The Concise Oxford Dictionary. The Poetical Works of Henry Lawson. The Complete works of William Shakespeare. The Penguin book of Light Verse. The 101st Edition Of Pears Dictionary. The Readers Digest Oxford Complete Wordfinder. The Bundanon Cantos (Signed). The Penguin Good Australian Wine Guide. Seasons in the Sun (Rod McKuen. The Poets World (Reeve). Modern Poets (J.C. Squire). Poets of the 90's (Stanford). The Australian Prime Ministers. (Michelle Gratten)>. Adam Lindsay Gordon Favourites. Banjo Paterson A Childrens Treasury.

Mate, all these books are within a hands reach upside.gif

Your dead right what ya say about me blunders. But I reckon I'm never going ta learn. I'll just keep poundin away with my hip mouse 'Charlie' peepen over my pinkey finger.

You've got it in your brain, I've got it at me eyeballs.

laugh.gif  laugh.gif

I love your company mate, and I 'm pleased ya feeling better.

Arnie troy.gif  troy.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Guest_Tao_*
post Jul 29 04, 12:10
Post #16

QUOTE(Arnfinn @ July 29 2004, 06:27)
Hi David,

I've met a few fast fillys in my younger days too, mate. Ya know back in the days when women didn't have legs they had ankles, so ya never knew how fast the could run. laugh.gif

Only ankles, refering to skirts are you? Come again?

David if you made enough money to choke a wombat. You wouldn't be writing poetry, you'd be a publisher. :blues:

Precisely! And bringing them to the big screen.

Arnie troy.gif  troy.gif

Anything wombat is better than no wombat! laugh.gif
David

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 15:47

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: