Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Miracles [Rev 3, 13 Dec 2009], from the 15 Nov 08 times ten (oldie revamped)
Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 7 08, 11:09
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Miracles

I met a little girl today
who seemed to be quite sad
while shopping for a Christmas tree,
nowhere did I see ‘dad’.

She pranced around the farmer’s truck
as twilight turned to snow
but did not welcome comfort’s hand:
her eyes were not aglow

with twinkling lights, nor festive scenes,
nor smile too wide to see --
a recipe that must be felt
in wonderlands of glee.

Bright memories of seasons past
dawned then as I knelt down
to ask her which one would she like
from this lone stand in town.

She looked at me with big brown eyes
so red from heartbreak’s hold
and in her tiny face I saw
her soul, her gift – behold!

“My daddy’s gone away, missus.”
Her eyes were wrought with tears.
“He promised he’d be home this time.
He always disappears.”

I looked around and found her mom
not far from precious Grace
and realized where daddy’s gone:
'twas written in her face.

I pulled her close and whispered then
“Your dad is here; it’s true.
You see that shining star, dear Grace?
He sends his love to you.”

She gazed upon that sentient star
so high in Heaven’s Light
and then I knew she understood
the miracle this night.

Copyright © Lorraine M. Kanter

Rev 3:
to ask her which tree did she like

Rev 2 (Dec 5 2009): (title was : The Miracle of Grace)
I saw a little girl today
I saw it in her face.
I watched her look upon that star

Rev 1 on Dec 07 2008:
dawned then as I kneeled down

Original:
to ask her which one did she like
from the lone stand in town.

Words: tree, twilight, comfort, recipe, wonderland, memories, dawn, gift, soul, star

This post has been edited by Cleo_Serapis: Dec 13 09, 09:46
Reason for edit: 3rd revision

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Merlin
post Dec 7 08, 11:56
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 66
Writer of: Poetry

Tis one for the heartstrings, Lori.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 7 08, 12:33
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hey there Wiz (Eric), wizard2.gif

Long time, no read! Read.gif How are you - we're getting our first snow today. Snowflake.gif Sure you've seen some by now, eh? Snowman.gif

Thals for stopping by - you always have great offerings - can you help me with this stanza:

from the lone stand in town.

The last line/couplet here is 'off'. Any suggestions are most appreciated!

Cheers,
~Cleo galadriel.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Dec 7 08, 16:50
Post #4

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Lori,

With eyes misted to the point where I can barely see what I'm typing, I'd like to say "Nice!".

Hope I'm not assisting out of turn but the stanza you mentioned to Merlin might be adjusted with these tiny twists:

dawned then as I {kneeled} [knelt] down
from {the} [this] lone stand in town.

Happy Holidays.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 7 08, 17:22
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Larry, Reindeer.gif

Sorry to make your eyes mist up, although I must confess that is the reaction I was hoping for but not to be sad, but to see/feel the hope as Grace comes to understand that her father is always with her. The true miracle.

I love the ideas you have for that stanza and will make the edit now - wonderful! I just couldn't think of another way to phrase it - I first had written 'from the only stand in town' - but that has one too many syllables.

Happy Holidays to you and yours Larry. As I just mnetioned to Jan (Orion) in this same topic posted in the MMHC forum, may you have a blessed season ahead, one filled with grace and miracles.

Happy Holidays,
~Lori xmaswindow.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 9 08, 06:37
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

First revision posted - TY Larry! ornament.gif stocking.gif xmastree.gif xmastree.gif menorah.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Dec 9 08, 14:36
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear Cleo,
After reading "The Miracle of Grace", I failed to realize a whole stanza had been polished by Larry.
I was wondering what golden age poet had written it, for it sounded so much like from a master and so did its message.
Having found the faulty stanza, I noted two things. Here was a case where THE finally got his dum (heavy beat) and that your version was so close that I'll bet Larry only wiped it one light pass.
(As to the THE getting his "dum", I once wrote a ditty suggesting that poor THE felt greatly passed over in always being a da.)
Yours is a perfect Christmas season poem.
Merry Christmas to you!
Cheers, Ron jgdittier
ps- I posted it at MM on 6/"05

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Dec 9 08, 15:28
Post #8

Creative Chieftain

Hi Lori,

That stanza reads much better with the changes. Glad I could be of some
tiny assistance.

Ron, it was only two words. Not a lot of polish was needed for such a lovely Christmas poem.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Dec 9 08, 20:36
Post #9

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear Larry,
You're so right!
Cheers to you both!!
Ron jgdittier

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Lady Poet
post Dec 17 08, 22:12
Post #10

Assyrian

Member No.: 468
Referred By:self

Lori...this brought tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat. Deeply poignant and evocative. Beautiful. Thank you, your poetry always touches my heart.

~Love, Pami

·······IPB·······

A relaxed attitude, and a heart of gratitude, increases life whilst joy doth exude! <:))))><

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 18 08, 06:39
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Ron,

Yeah - Larry's two suggestions really make a difference don't they? Read.gif

I should look for your older poem - what is the title of it?

Happy Ho Ho Ho!
~Cleo xmas.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 18 08, 06:40
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Larry,

Yes, perhaps so but it really made a difference to me. cloud9.gif

Thanks for your lovely comments on this one and happy Christmas!

Lori xmaswindow.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 18 08, 06:41
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Wow Pami,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It's an honor to hear when my scribbles touch someone.

Thank you again!

Merry Christmas xmastree.gif
~Lori cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Dec 21 08, 14:40
Post #14

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Oh Lori, You've made me cry. This is a tear jerker complete with heart squeezed and aching. On the first few reads I couldn't get beyond the story, the imagery detailed and precise, or the aching feeling the lump in my throat gave me. And so, nothing jumped out right away. However, a small tiny nit revealed itself afterwards -

The tiniest nit stuck out it's tongue in S4/ L3 and L4 it seemed to feel awkward off the tongue. Perhaps ...

"to ask her which one would she like
from this loner's stand in town or maybe from this solo stand in town

Everything else is perfect for my ear and heart... I might have to read it one more time to get the cries out...

Hugs and lots of love, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 15 09, 07:52
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello all, xmastree.gif

I've just made a few slight word and font changes to this holiday poem. So here is revision #2 for your commentary.

Ho Ho Ho!
~Cleo xmas.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 5 09, 08:29
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Revision #3 now posted - title and (3) line wording changes

Cheers
xmaswindow.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Dec 5 09, 10:29
Post #17

Creative Chieftain

Hi Lori,

It's beautiful again this year! One tiny nit... S3L2 has an extra syl. I believe if you take out the "a" and let it read:

nor smile too wide to see --

It would then read as all the other L2's in your lovely poem.

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 5 09, 11:54
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Larry,

Why thank you so much and Merry Christmas! xmaswindow.gif Thanks so much for stopping by! I knew something wasn't right in that stanza. cyclops.gif I've made the edit now. ornament.gif

It's starting to snow here - WHIPPEE! Snowman.gif chilly.gif Now I can really start getting into the spirit. I'm going to decorate the tree today and more around the house. Fun! holly.gif blueorn.gif

Hugz Larry.
~Lori GroupHug.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Ellen_*
post Dec 11 09, 23:21
Post #19

I am so glad you revamped this or I may not have had the pleasure of reading it. The previous crits have helped you to polish this poem to perfection. But it is the thoughts from your compassionate heart that really makes it shine. And the tears it evokes make it glisten even more.

Thoth
post Dec 12 09, 01:33
Post #20

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 457
Referred By:Mistral

Hi Lori
I've watched this one for a while and it is a heat squeezer for sure.

S1 stumbles for me but I am unable to offer a solution without a full edit and I don't know if its a big enough nit to warrant it.

S1 - the thought order seems confused which weakens the opening stanza.
L1 relates to L3

I met a little girl today
who seemed to be quite sad
while shopping for a Christmas tree,
nowhere could I find ‘dad’.

ie, the thought flow should go as follows;

While shopping for . . . 3
I met a little girl . . . 1
who was sad . . . 2
because she had no DAD 4

See what I mean? the rhymes have fragmented the order. Not that important as the reader sees through immediately, but is just a tad ragged.

Otherwise, beautiful! and a leading entry for the HC.

Hugs,

Wally

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

The Ugly African Critter

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:20

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: