Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Da Vinci Codicil, Terza Rima Sonnet
Guest_bombadil1247_*
post May 9 06, 17:24
Post #1

The Da Vinci Codicil

La Gioconda’s enigmatic smile
has puzzled critics from the first review
for none could grasp her air of playful guile.

Her sombre eyes belie the smile, it’s true;
the stately pose keeps dignity, and yet
amusement at Da Vinci still shines through.

Is she a prank deliberately set
by Leonardo’s cunning hand, in joy?
It’s certainly a smile we can’t forget.

The maestro’s been suspected of a ploy
that camouflages gender in his art;
perhaps his Lisa really is a boy?

Is this the joke they shared right from the start,
that Gioconda’s model held his heart?

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
JLY
post May 10 06, 06:29
Post #2

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Jim,
You have captured the essence of a most topical theme; you just may be on the crest of a wave of publicity that is emerging here with the release of the movie.

This was very well-scripted; however I was looking for the word smile to be repeated again in the fourth stanza but it was not there.....I was thinking that you could have incorporated in this manner....

Instead of....
maybe
The maestro's wry smile belied a ploy

Very taught and well done.
JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post May 10 06, 06:42
Post #3

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Greetings, Jim cheer.gif

Your terza rima sonnet simply flows right to the end, then turns as it deploys its closing couplet; thus its author shows how Codak moments cast the girl a boy. The history-revisionist is keen on selling books and movies; he's employed a pile of stuff, methinks. Know what I mean?

I simply see nothing in your excellent piece to nit-pick. You've given me another look (through Google) at the exquisite art of the Mona Lisa, and I'd never read it to be called La Gioconda before. So, thank you for giving me one more thing to rattle around in my head till I lose in in a few days! Speechless.gif Really, I applaud this excellent work...

and the spirit of Mrs. Gioconda is a gonna be after ya ta stop spreadin' that rumor! medusa.gif

deLightin' in yer writin', Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Guest_bombadil1247_*
post May 10 06, 09:30
Post #4

QUOTE(JLY @ May 10 06, 12:29 ) [snapback]74956[/snapback]
Jim,
You have captured the essence of a most topical theme; you just may be on the crest of a wave of publicity that is emerging here with the release of the movie.

This was very well-scripted; however I was looking for the word smile to be repeated again in the fourth stanza but it was not there.....I was thinking that you could have incorporated in this manner....

Instead of....
maybe
The maestro's wry smile belied a ploy

Very taught and well done.
JLY

Hi, JLY,

thank you for stopping by and offering your comments, always appreciated. Not sure about another 'smile', I thought three was pushing it. grinning.gif No point denying the Da Vinci Code influenced this - the title is a bit of a giveaway - but this was written as a challenge on another board; to combine the terza tima and sonnet forms. The progressive rhyme scheme - the 'b' rhyme from one triplet becomes the 'a' rhyme in the next - was taken from the terza but the metre and turn were taken from the sonnet. It wan't really difficult in that all that was required was to lose the middle rhyme of the 5th triplet and presto, 14 line sonnet with rhyming couplet close. The turn here is intended to be seen in S3's suspicion of a prank, much earlier than normal in a sonnet, but needed that space to finish the thought and maintain the terza form. I do thank you for taking the time to read though, perhaps I may look again at a way of incorporating 'smile' more often that doesn't overpower the turn.
Jim

Guest_bombadil1247_*
post May 10 06, 09:37
Post #5

Hi, Daniel,

glad you enjoyed this little offering. When I decided to use the Mona Lisa for this - seemed obvious since both forms are Italian in origin - I googled too. Seems there is some confusion over how many there are - the Louvre has 3 examples apparently - and there is some concensus that Da Vinci only applied the finishing touches since most of the work was done by his apprentices. Another article suggested that this may be a self-portrait and that's what started the juices flowing, coupled with the gender argument on the Last Supper painting exploited so well in the book - read it just after Christmas.
Jim

Guest_ohsteve_*
post May 10 06, 15:30
Post #6

Jim... I have read Mr Browns delightful book, one of his many,I also enjoyed seeing the Mona Lisa and had never heard it called by any other name, the sonnet is well done and flow fluidly, I am not sure you could get away with another smile but who's counting..lol. Great read.
Steve

Guest_bombadil1247_*
post May 11 06, 05:26
Post #7

QUOTE(ohsteve @ May 10 06, 21:30 ) [snapback]74974[/snapback]
Jim... I have read Mr Browns delightful book, one of his many,I also enjoyed seeing the Mona Lisa and had never heard it called by any other name, the sonnet is well done and flow fluidly, I am not sure you could get away with another smile but who's counting..lol. Great read.
Steve

Hi, Steve,

thanks for stopping by, always welcome and appreciated. This started out as 'the Mona Lisa's smile...' but needed to change after the 'lisa is a boy' line and found the alternate name quite by accident. Apparently this was the original title but couldn't find anything explaining the change. Glad you enjoyed the read,
Jim

Guest_Don_*
post May 11 06, 07:58
Post #8

Good morning Jim,

All I care to say is this is wonderful work, and gliding through your posts here at MM I conclude you are a master.

If the muse moves you to add yet another "smile" maybe it could be a "grin." :)

There seems to be strong intent in your work with a reason for each detail. I shall sick our five-year old grandson on to you to ask a zillion "why" questions.

Don gandalfw.gif

Guest_bombadil1247_*
post May 11 06, 17:05
Post #9

Hi, Don,

thank you for coming by and leaving such a nice comment - both are always appreciated. Can't claim the 'master' title yet though, only been writing seriously for about two years so have lots still to learn - at best I'm a 3rd year apprentice. laugh.gif

Ah, the eternal 'why?', I have a 5-year old grandson of my own so can sympathise - my answer is usually 'because!' grinning.gif
Jim

Cleo_Serapis
post May 14 06, 19:51
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello Jim.

LOL.gif! This is really very good and the punch line, OMG! comedy.gif comedy.gif comedy.gif

I admire anyone who can not only write a sonnet with such ease, but to format it in a set meter AND add the comedic element at the close (what is the proper term please for the closing), bravo! note.gif

I have just two suggestions actually, and only because of the use of the word 'smile' three times in this piece. Please take or toss the suggestions as you wish.

Will be back to read this one again. Movie comes out next Friday - can't wait!

Cheers.
~Cleo galadriel.gif

La Gioconda’s enigmatic smile
has puzzled critics from the first review
for none could grasp her air of playful guile.
Solid opening - makes me question what is to come.

Her sombre eyes belie the smile, it’s true; (grin in place of smile)
the stately pose keeps dignity, and yet
amusement at Da Vinci still shines through. How true. I believe!

Is she a prank deliberately set
by Leonardo’s cunning hand, in joy?
It’s certainly a smile we can’t forget. (smirk in place of smile)

that camouflages gender in his art;
perhaps his Lisa really is a boy? Oh boy - could it be?

Is this the joke they shared right from the start,
that Gioconda’s model held his heart?
What a memorable close/couplet. rose.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 15 06, 03:46
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

Hi Jim

It's always good to read your work and this is no exception. cloud9.gif It certainly brought a smile to my face this morning. comedy.gif The final couplet is superb! sun.gif

I have no nits on this one except as others have mentioned, the use of too many 'smiles'. You could possibly use an alternative.

Greta read!

Snow cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_poeticpiers_*
post May 15 06, 14:06
Post #12

Topical subject and as for the shared joke it is rumoured Leonardo had leanings that way

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 00:17

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: