away from care or reason’s voice:
beyond skies, to fields of fancy,
spheres of sheer irrelevancy.

You holler at me, harsh: “Beware,
captive of desire’s sure-fire snare!”

I should remember who I am:
why proclaim all’s a sorry sham?

By Psyche

Copyright: Sylvia Maclagan, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2007.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
JLY
post Mar 7 07, 15:09
Post #2

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Sylvia,
I like your message and it is well paced. I offer only a thought to ponder....

CAPTIVE

away from care or reason’s voice: or

away from [calm of] reason's voice ...or

away from [comfort of] reason's voice

Much enjoyed.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Mar 8 07, 14:42
Post #3

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi Sylvia,

I am just stopping in to let you know I am working on a proper response for this poem, I had a couple of weeks of a bad bout and well you know... There is much to enjoy about this poem, much to relate to and how you've chosen strong inner rhymes and some very unique clever end rhymes which adds to the pleasure of the read.

I think it is a great title. Captive. Inplants so many expectations, and it isn't until the poem is read fully, does one link and feel completed by the title.

I'll be back... Hugs, Liz

CAPTIVE

If fortune fulfils my yearning,
allows one single, distinct choice,
I’ll trace a path towards nothing,
away from care or reason’s voice:
beyond skies, to fields of fancy,
spheres of sheer irrelevancy.

By Psyche

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Merlin
post Mar 10 07, 14:05
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 66

Hi Psy,

Magnificent.

I really didn't notice your use of "irrelevancy", rather reading it as irrelevance.
That would be my personal preference, rhymed with the likes of unfenced.
Not a necessity, tho.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 10 07, 14:54
Post #5

The word "irrelevancy" stands like a flag to rally around. I doubt this to be your intent.

A very poignant composition, Psyche.

Don

Psyche
post Mar 10 07, 18:49
Post #6

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

Hi John!
Thanks for dropping by! I'm glad you like my message. I'll have to think about that line you mention, because "reason's voice" doesn't calm or comfort me. But you have a point.
My intention is to say that what we believe is rational in this world, is really only a sham.
So I'd prefer to trace my path somewhere else, where there is no pretence at rationality or common sense. A sort of fairyland....
Perhaps I should put "away from rule of reason's voice"?
Thanks for helping me,
Cheers, Sylvia

QUOTE (JLY @ Mar 7 07, 22:09 ) [snapback]92349[/snapback]
Sylvia,
I like your message and it is well paced. I offer only a thought to ponder....

CAPTIVE

away from care or reason’s voice: or

away from [calm of] reason's voice ...or

away from [comfort of] reason's voice

Much enjoyed.

JLY

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Mar 10 07, 18:54
Post #7

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Dear Liz,
Thanks for dropping by in spite of having a bout... I understand perfectly, please take your time and come back, if you wish, when you're feeling OK.

Your comments are highly interesting. Sometimes I don't realize what I'm actually saying/writing, so it's wonderful to find out what others think.

Hugs, Sylvia

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Mar 10 07, 18:58
Post #8

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi Merlin!

Magnificent? Huh....thanks! I'll certainly work on that "irrelevancy" word, it really seems to be a blotch....

I'll think about how to work the rhyming.
Thanks a lot,
Sylvia

QUOTE (Merlin @ Mar 10 07, 21:05 ) [snapback]92538[/snapback]
Hi Psy,

Magnificent.

I really didn't notice your use of "irrelevancy", rather reading it as irrelevance.
That would be my personal preference, rhymed with the likes of unfenced.
Not a necessity, tho.

Merlin

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Mar 10 07, 19:01
Post #9

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi Don!
Gee, we don't want to have to rally around that looong word, which apparently sticks out like a sore thumb...wow....

I'll think about what changes I can make and post a revision.

Thanks a lot,
Sylvia

QUOTE (Don @ Mar 10 07, 21:54 ) [snapback]92541[/snapback]
The word "irrelevancy" stands like a flag to rally around. I doubt this to be your intent.

A very poignant composition, Psyche.

Don

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 10 07, 19:02
Post #10

Dear Sylvia,

My profession is so indocrinated with reason and logic to create a natural rebellion. Another famous individual must take credit for the philosophy that pure reason is a false path. Of course, yet another propounded that all our senses were but illusion, which put all reality into shadow.

Though I sincerely doubt pure emotion is any truer path, I am glad to see an emotional inspiration transcending so-called mental superiority.

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 17 07, 15:36
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Sylvia. galadriel.gif

I enjoyed this one, the structure of your stanzas too, along with your title, which really sums up the message without giving it away. claps.gif

If only we could ignore reason from time to time and live completely, unabashedly in the moment, through our dreams and desires. cloud9.gif

Here's a few ideas for you to ponder as you wish.
Cheers
~Cleo Pharoah.gif

[add] {delete} (comment)

If fortune fulfils my yearning{,} (typo: fulfills - but it might be a language difference?)
{allows one} [allowing for one] {single}, distinct choice,
I’ll trace a path towards nothing, (I offer ‘naught’ as an alternate for ‘nothing’ and ‘ascertain’ for ‘trace’:
I’ll ascertain a path towards naught,)

away from weight of reason’s voice:
beyond skies, to realms recondite,
spheres of labyrinthine delights.
Lovely!

You {holler} [howl] at me{,} [so] harsh: “Beware,

I should remember who I am{:}[!]
[W]hy proclaim all’s a sorry sham?

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Mar 21 07, 10:06
Post #12

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi Don!
Yes, one's profession does weigh on one's beliefs and disbeliefs. I don't really rebel against reason and logic, rather I think they are a part of the picture. And unfortunately, although in theory -on paper and often in reality- rationality & logic are flawless instruments, nonetheless I'm convinced (along with old Aristotle and many far more modern thinkers) that our actions are originated by our "passions", as the old peripathetic philosopher argued. We only think we're being rational, but our passions, which much later on Freud called our subconscious feelings or sentiments, are the rulers in this world. Anyway, it appears to be so, judging how things are unfolding historically....
:-(

Do you think humanity is behaving rationally at present? I'm of course differentiating between theory and practice, OK?

Well, this could go on forever, whereas my poem is just a tiny fantasy, a wish to be in some place where the truth of things, as far as is possible, is acknowledged, so that it's like a Never Land, Peter Pan sort of. I guess I haven't grown up!!!

All the same, thank you for reading my emotional inspiration!!
Cheers, Syl ***

QUOTE (Don @ Mar 11 07, 02:02 ) [snapback]92560[/snapback]
Dear Sylvia,

My profession is so indocrinated with reason and logic to create a natural rebellion. Another famous individual must take credit for the philosophy that pure reason is a false path. Of course, yet another propounded that all our senses were but illusion, which put all reality into shadow.

Though I sincerely doubt pure emotion is any truer path, I am glad to see an emotional inspiration transcending so-called mental superiority.

Don

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Mar 21 07, 10:14
Post #13

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Ooooooooo, Lori, thanks for your detailed crits. I've read them all and agree with most, although I might use different words in my revision. I'm in a rush now, so won't revise immediately. I like the word "naught" but there doesn't seem to be another line to end-rhyme it with. Unless my head is foggy this morning (I'm thinking of what I have to do at the bank...haha...) Speechless.gif

Many hugs, I'll be back to do my homework,
Syl *** rollerskater.gif

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Mar 17 07, 22:36 ) [snapback]92970[/snapback]
Hi Sylvia. galadriel.gif

I enjoyed this one, the structure of your stanzas too, along with your title, which really sums up the message without giving it away. claps.gif

If only we could ignore reason from time to time and live completely, unabashedly in the moment, through our dreams and desires. cloud9.gif

Here's a few ideas for you to ponder as you wish.
Cheers
~Cleo Pharoah.gif

[add] {delete} (comment)

If fortune fulfils my yearning{,} (typo: fulfills - but it might be a language difference?)
{allows one} [allowing for one] {single}, distinct choice,
I’ll trace a path towards nothing, (I offer ‘naught’ as an alternate for ‘nothing’ and ‘ascertain’ for ‘trace’:
I’ll ascertain a path towards naught,)

Lovely!

You {holler} [howl] at me{,} [so] harsh: “Beware,

I should remember who I am{:}[!]
[W]hy proclaim all’s a sorry sham?

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 21 07, 10:22
Post #14

Hi Sylvia,

Spring is officially here according to this day's date. Our rivers run high rushing to the salty seas.

I sincerely surmise we are of the same mind.

hersheyskiss.gif Don hersheyskiss.gif

Guest_Cathy_*
post Mar 22 07, 09:42
Post #15

Hi Sylvia,

This is coming along nicely! I've left some thoughts for you to do with what you will... *smiles*

Cathy

If fortune fulfils my yearning, fulfills?

'One' and 'single' are the same therefore I think redundant. What about... 'allows only one, distinct choice,...'?

'Weight' of reason's voice shows the heaviness but maybe 'truth' or 'sense' of reason's voice? Depending of course on what image you want to project. Just some alternatives to consider.

The first line above seems a bit choppy to me... may be just me! LOL What about... 'You harshly holler at me, "Beware...'? I also think the second line would read smoother without 'sure-fire'. When I think of someone saying 'sure-fire' I think of someone making a flippant remark. IMO that image doesn't fit with your message. Again... could be just me!

Is the 's' needed on 'all's'?

Guest_Don_*
post Mar 22 07, 10:08
Post #16

I take minor issue with Cathy on following:

'One' and 'single' are the same therefore I think redundant. What about... 'allows only one, distinct choice,...'?

Distinct also denotes singularity; therefore, why not trim to:
allows a choice
from

Above suggestion for trimming disregards need for meter and smoothness. One should remember that artist may intentionaly employ emphasis by repeating. The question is if "a" is adequate substitution for series of three, "one, single, and distinct?"

Don

Psyche
post Mar 22 07, 10:31
Post #17

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

HAHA, Don!! I like your poetic frame of mind regarding Spring (good line for a poem?).

Here, in the Southern Hemisphere, we've just entered Autumn. And some rivers are also running high, unfortunately, because a lot of cattle are wading through the floods and will die...

I also surmise we agree on the philosophical or sociological issues, whatever!

Thanks for passing by, it's always a pleasure to have you drop in.
Syl *** JackBox.gif

QUOTE (Don @ Mar 21 07, 17:22 ) [snapback]93236[/snapback]
Hi Sylvia,

Spring is officially here according to this day's date. Our rivers run high rushing to the salty seas.

I sincerely surmise we are of the same mind.

hersheyskiss.gif Don hersheyskiss.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Mar 22 07, 10:48
Post #18

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Well, yes, Don, repetition for emphasis is quite usual in speech as well as poetry. I wholly agree. Nonetheless, I shall mull over this line (as well as others) to see what I can come up with. Thank you both, Cathy & Don!
I have to respect the meter, that goes without saying. And I shall attempt smoothness... it's funny how different people read lines with varying intonations, so that what is smooth for one person, is bumpy for another. I remember that my mother used to tell me: "The poet intended you to read this line such & such a way", whenever I stumbled on rhyming or syllable/word emphasis... Complex, isn't it?

Thanks again,
Syl *** butterfly.gif

QUOTE (Don @ Mar 22 07, 17:08 ) [snapback]93288[/snapback]
I take minor issue with Cathy on following:

Distinct also denotes singularity; therefore, why not trim to:
allows a choice
from

Above suggestion for trimming disregards need for meter and smoothness. One should remember that artist may intentionaly employ emphasis by repeating. The question is if "a" is adequate substitution for series of three, "one, single, and distinct?"

Don

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Mar 22 07, 11:03
Post #19

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Hi Cathy!
Thanks so much for your valuable crits. And the typo, yes.... shame! Somebody else pointed it out, too. Shall proceed to revise.

QUOTE (Cathy @ Mar 22 07, 16:42 ) [snapback]93286[/snapback]
Hi Sylvia,

This is coming along nicely! I've left some thoughts for you to do with what you will... *smiles*

Thank you.

Cathy

If fortune fulfils my yearning, fulfills? yes, dear me.

I'm not sure about changing this line, since the repetition is for emphasis. But I might consider using an entirely different word for "single"... Let me study it!!

'Weight' of reason's voice shows the heaviness but maybe 'truth' or 'sense' of reason's voice? Depending of course on what image you want to project. Just some alternatives to consider.

Thank you, Cathy. I put weight, because reason "weighs" on me, personally. So many times I followed rational, or even reasonable advice, and it didn't go well for me. I mean in real life!! Sometimes things sound rational, but turn out not to be.

The first line above seems a bit choppy to me... may be just me! LOL What about... 'You harshly holler at me, "Beware...'? I also think the second line would read smoother without 'sure-fire'. When I think of someone saying 'sure-fire' I think of someone making a flippant remark. IMO that image doesn't fit with your message. Again... could be just me!

Thanks a lot for these comments. Shall take them into account when I revise, Cathy.

Is the 's' needed on 'all's'? Perhaps not...

I'll try to revise today! I always take so long to do my homework...
Hugs, Syl ***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 25 07, 18:17
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

nicerev.gif Sylvia!

I like the changes you've made especially:

to spheres of multiform delights
in azure space, realms recondite.

You briskly rebuff me: “Beware,
captive of dreamscape's deadly snare!”

Excellent!
~Cleo arwen.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 13:00

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: