Pre Franklin's time, when lightning struck,
it much preferred the church.
Despite the tolling of her bells...
no steeple's place to perch!

It just may be that lightning rods
appeased those airy powers,
for now the church is shelter-safe
and too, its tall bell towers.

note- As lightning prefers to strike tall buildings in high places and the church
was often the tallest building in the highest place, churches were targets of lightning.

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
JLY
post Apr 24 08, 06:07
Post #2

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Ron,
Very well done and thought your footnote would be helpful to the readers.

Only one area that I am pondering a change from my perspective....

Just who's up there to rule the winds
and send the thunder storm?
thunder storm should be one word....but I have a slightly different take....

casting us thunder's storm? (I don't much like casting, but I feel like someone up their is "sending, imparting, casting, etc. upon us a thunderous storm)

JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Apr 24 08, 07:23
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58

Dear JLY,
I'm sure line 6 can be improved, but in doing so, I can't demean the cadence or the end rhyme.I've changed to "thunderstorm".
Thank you for the read and thoughts.
Cheers, Ron jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Maggie
post Apr 24 08, 08:24
Post #4

Greek

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 185
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:just wandered in

Hi Ron,

Great poem in my small opinion!!! rollerskater.gif rollerskater.gif

Since your working a bit on the following stanza I have a couple suggestions.

Is Satan there with thunderbolts
to hurl like Thor? Or more,
are devil's demons dealing death?
To whom should we implore?

Would it sound smoother to say the following?

to hurl them out like Thor?
Are devil's demons dealing death?

I enjoyed your poem very much!!!

Peggy

·······IPB·······

jgdittier
post Apr 24 08, 10:27
Post #5

Creative Chieftain

Dear Peggy,
Whenever you read my verse, think of me please as a light verser.
I know the modern light verser is expected to write like a pure poet, but too, I'm happier writing more like the bards. The bards then weren't as restricted as they would be now.
The "Thor or More" was an internal rhyme which I assume was acceptable in those bardly days. My verse constantly fails when modern style is applied to it.
It's a cross I bear, but if it brings a smile, it brings mine too!
I hope you smiled!
Cheers, Ron jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 27 08, 14:59
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hahah , a fun topic Ron! hersheyskiss.gif

It has that sing-song feel that you like to tell others and the story is well written too. I'm uncertain on S1L2: be ye of angel's force? Should it be 'be ye' or 'Are ye'?

I love this stanza - great rhythm and L3 rocks with alliteration! hsdance.gif

Suggest:
no steeples should we perch!

Enjoyed the read!
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Apr 30 08, 17:56
Post #7

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Ron -

What I always enjoy about your work is that there is a light hearted topic, beneath the voice and tone of authority and seriousness. It always floors me come the end of the poem when I truly get it! wink.gif

I've missed the wonder and excellence of your work - I love the inner rhymes and skillful placement of sounds through out that create an inner effect, often leading to the smile at the end. Some minor cheers and suggestions to follow...

Best Wishes, Liz

Oh ruler of the firmament,
be ye of angel's force?
Or prince of darkness, do you reign
to bring mankind remorse?

I will agree with Lori that L2, sounds natural to the ear (as archaic voice) as 'Are ye of angel's force?'

and send the thunderstorm?
Do cherubs regulate the rain,
to Godly wish, conform?

Here, L1 feels awkward and it isn't a follow through with the archaic voice already established.
Just who's up there - is quite modern and more slang like, I kept wanting to say ...

Who then, commands the rule of winds
or sends the thunderstorm?
Do cherubs regulate the rains (to match winds in plural and timeless)
to Godly wish, conform?

I applaud the excellent sounds thorugh this stanza. thor/more/implore ... as well as the strong alliterative design

I love the turn here, like that of a finely tuned volta...The enhancing the importance of the thunderstorms. It, to me is musical. The inner rhymes flow like butter on warm bread and the light humor begins to peek out from behind the curtain ...

Excellent, excellent ending.

Very enjoyable read. Thank you!

Hugs, Liz

PS Thank you for the comments on my earlier post. I apologize for not replying I had been taken ill and was off line for a long while. I will get some revisions soon and thank yous for you and others.

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_bombadil1247_*
post May 5 08, 07:07
Post #8

Hi, Ron,

a few thoughts for you to consider.

Oh ruler of the firmament,
be ye of angel's force?
Or prince of darkness, do you reign
to bring mankind remorse? - maybe 'teach' instead of'bring'?

this line is awkward and out of place, perhaps 'exactly who rules wanton winds' and 'sends' for send below? I might consider making this S1 to set up the rest.

and send the thunderstorm?
Do cherubs regulate the rain,
to Godly wish, conform?

'Ist' to agree with 'be'? Also something other than the weak alliteration of 'there', maybe armed'?

this line reads weakly to me, perhaps something like 'safety perch'? Or better still 'stable perch', for the ambiguity and alliteration?

'just' always looks like filler when used like this, maybe lose that and qualify 'lightning rods'? Something like 'man's' would do, but any suitable, single-syllable adhective would be ok, I think.

I did enjoy this. Not exactly in keeping with your intent but I might have added an ironic stanza on how the 'safe harbours' have been abandoned - maybe man needs danger in his life. Yours to use or lose as you choose, of course.
Jim

jgdittier
post May 9 08, 16:26
Post #9

Creative Chieftain

Dear Jim,
My style of writing varies greatly from modern teaching. If nothing else, my verse is by its deviations easily recognized.

line4- I've no particular love for "bring". I'd prefer a word starting with "m" for alliteration.
line5- just WHO'S up THERE to RULE the WINDS
my line must scan -/-/-/-/
I agree the first two stanzas are better interchanged
line9-I like "armed" for "there". There adds little and was used prior.
line16- It needs a rewrite but must conform to -/-/-/
line 18- "just" is a filler. I think the bigger problem, however, is "appeased" is the wrong word. Perhaps it can carry the irony you suggest.

Thanks for the comments.
Cheers, Ron jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Guest_bombadil1247_*
post May 9 08, 17:06
Post #10

Hi, again, Ron,

"My style of writing varies greatly from modern teaching. If nothing else, my verse is by its deviations easily recognized."

Thanks for the head's up, Ron, will help with critique.

line4- I've no particular love for "bring". I'd prefer a word starting with "m" for alliteration.- how about 'to manage man's remorse'?
line5- just WHO'S up THERE to RULE the WINDS - to my ear that line reads 'JUST WHO's/ UP there/ to RULE/ the WINDS' which is still fine for Iambic tet, though not strict - my problem was with 'just' again, hoped my offer kept strict time and lost the 'slang' feel, but this is your poem.
my line must scan -/-/-/-/
I agree the first two stanzas are better interchanged
line9-I like "armed" for "there". There adds little and was used prior.
line16- It needs a rewrite but must conform to -/-/-/ - no STEEP/le's STAB/le PERCH

line 18- "just" is a filler. I think the bigger problem, however, is "appeased" is the wrong word. Perhaps it can carry the irony you suggest - don't know about the irony, think that would need at least two lines to develop, but if you go for 'man's lightning rod' how about 'disarmed' to keep the 'm' sound going?

Just suggestions, of course, yours to use or lose,
Jim

Psyche
post May 24 08, 12:30
Post #11

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Ron!

YES, you did bring a wide smile to my lips, as usual! Thanks for that....LOL... You're a deft light verser, indeed.

I won't make any crits until I see whether you intend to post a revision, since you've had many commentaries & suggestions. I like the idea of using 'armed'.

There's only one S that upsets me a little, and that's the comparison of Satan's actions with Thor's. Yes, I KNOW it's light verse, Ron!
Thor was venerated by the Nords, almost more than Odin himself. He wielded his hammer against the bad giants, and was supposed to bring many blessings to the people, such as good crops, fertility, etc. There is a wonderful temple at Upsala built for Thor. It's true that he had a violent temper, but my guess is that he used it wisely, when the occasion demanded it. Like the Greek Zeus, or Jupiter for the Romans.
I think people accepted the thunderbolts as a sign of anger from the gods, and tried to mend their ways.
Well, that's my contribution!!! Take or toss! But don't get angry with me for pointing this out...please!!!

Cheers, Syl ***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post May 24 08, 16:43
Post #12

Creative Chieftain

Dear Jim and Syl,
I've many style variances from present modern good practices.
One is I only deviate from repetitious meter in very few cases where I understand or am convinced that the foot substitution adds to the cadence or the message. I read sing-song and so I'd put the beat on "there" rather than "up". I realize I'm an odd-ball here and that "up" makes sense.
Same deal with "just", I even will put a beat on a filler word just to retain the continuity of the beat. I also use fillers and inversions and
other elements of PL much to excess. Critiquing my verse is a challenge.
RE Thor and Satan's demons, my reading of the thrust of the times was that there was great controversary over who and why and how to minimize lightning damage to churches.
I thank you both for your interest and your thoughts and I try to comment on your poetry with the thought too that I must do it using your style. Sorry my style makes it so difficult.
Cheers, Ron jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Larry
post May 25 08, 00:24
Post #13

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi Ron,

Loved your poem. Lots of crits from which to choose or lose. I didn't see anything wrong with your current revision but did notice you thought L16 needed a rewrite. If you want to continue waxing archaic, here is my only suggestion:

who bade the storms besmirch?

Churches did seem to be the primary target for lightning and in those times, it had to be the wrath of God or the Devil's work when any arbitrary occurance could not be explained.

I still like the idea of lightning trying to find a place to perch.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:54

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: