Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi all. wave.gif

I just came across this poetic form from a few different sites and posted it in Karnak.  Read.gif

I thought it might be FUN for us to try a JOINT poem together!

For those who love the 'snippet' and 10-word' challenges we offer in the ACROPOLIS forum - check this out at:
http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/cgi-bin....;t=4672

Cento:

From the Latin word for "patchwork," the cento is a poetic form made up of lines from poems by other poets. It is a poem that is simply "patched together".  It is also called by some, a mosaic poem.  cool.gif

Though poets often 'borrow' lines or phrases from other writers and mix them in with their own (that would be Cleo's snippet challenge responses  wave.gif), a true cento is composed entirely of lines or phrases from other authors' works. Early examples can be found in the work of Homer and Virgil.

With lines from Charles Wright, Marie Ponsot, Emily Dickinson, Sylvia Plath, and Samuel Beckett, the staff of the Academy of American Poets composed the following as an example (as found on this web link):

"In the Kingdom of the Past, the Brown-Eyed Man is King
Brute. Spy. I trusted you. Now you reel & brawl.
After great pain, a formal feeling comes--
A vulturous boredom pinned me in this tree
Day after day, I become of less use to myself,
The hours after you are gone are so leaden."

A Cento/patchwork/mosaic poem can be rhymed or unrhymed.

It can be created with an emphasis on lines or phrases, or the lines/phrases might be chosen because they contain a focused concordance of a specific word.

An example:

Hope Over Doubt *

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
Still do the stars impart their light.
What is your substance, where of are you made?
Sound, sound the clarion, fill the fife
To see the world in a grain of sand.

Say not the struggle naught availeth.
He that is down needs fear no fall.
All is best, though we oft doubt.
Go and catch a falling star.

Copyright  © 2001, William T. Delamar
Line:
1) "Sonnet ii" (William Shakespeare);  
2) "Falsehood" (William Cartwright);  
3) "Sonnet v" (William Shakespeare);  
4) "Answer" (Sir Walter Scott);  
5) "Augeries of Innocence" William Blake;  
6) "Say not the Struggle Naught (Arthur Hugh Clough);  
7) "The Shepherd Boy Sings in the Valley of Humiliation" (John Bunyan);  
8) "Samson Agonistes ii" (John Milton);  
9) "song" (John Donne)

grinning.gif

OUR TASK HERE:

Would anyone be interested in creating a Mosaic compilation together?
Idea.gif
ADD A LINE OR TWO AND CONTINUE OUR OWN POETIC OUTPUT:

GOOD LUCK!  cheer.gif  sings.gif

I'll start:

If a clod be washed away by the sea

1) For Whom The Bell Tolls by John Donne

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cybele
post Jul 15 05, 17:04
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22

Hi Lori,   tut.gif

This looks like fun. Here's my contribution:

With no one to see. It's only oblivion, true:

The Old Fools (Philip Larkin)   so...

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 15 05, 18:34
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cybele @ July 15 2005, 18:04)
Hi Lori,   tut.gif

This looks like fun. Here's my contribution:

2) The Old Fools (Philip Larkin)   so...

Hello Grace!

So glad you joined the MM quilting!  Artist.gif

OK - here I go for L3:

Pity the world, or else this glutton be,

3) Sonnet I: From Fairest Creatures We Desire Increase, William Shakespeare

So:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jul 19 05, 06:30
Post #4

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17
Writer of: Poetry

Hi all,

Line 4

A willow-bough, distilling odourous dew,

4) ENDYMION (book 11) S420: John Keats

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 20 05, 18:56
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Well done John!  :troy:

Now that we've established a rhyme scheme we must keep it going..

So far - we've got:

A willow-bough, distilling odourous dew

2) The Old Fools (Philip Larkin)

I'll look for another line....  :detective:

Cheers!
~Cleo  :dance:  :cheer:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 20 05, 19:00
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

OK...

Here's line 5:

In withered husks of some dead memory.

5) Desespoir by Oscar Wilde

So....

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 9 05, 05:24
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Arnie, Grace .... shall we continue?

GroupHug.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Aug 9 05, 08:49
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Hi Lori, :pharoah2
Yes, by all means, just need a bit of time to search for something appropriate!

Back soon!  :read:

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Aug 10 05, 06:16
Post #9

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Yep!

This poem is what I call different. laugh.gif

cool.gif  :cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Someone else might take the plunge.

John.

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Aug 10 05, 06:29
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Last line of verse one

Why, having won her, do I woo?

so

6) The Married Lover by Coventry Patmore

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 10 05, 06:38
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Excellent Grace!

hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 11 05, 05:30
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cybele @ Aug. 10 2005, 07:29)

New Stanza:

The sky is changed to brass, the earth to sand;
-from The Poet's Calendar (July) by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

That makes our effort:

7) The Poet's Calendar (July) by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Aug 11 05, 06:00
Post #13

Ornate Oracle

Line two, verse two..

But thy eternal summer shall not fade

Now we have..

A willow-bough, distilling odorous dew,

But thy eternal summer shall not fade.

3) Sonnet I: From Fairest Creatures We Desire Increase, William
Shakespeare
8) From Shakespeare’s Sonnet 18

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 12 05, 05:28
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

UPDATE: IGNORE THIS REPLY PLEASE.... See next one instead...

Line three, verse two..

I hear an army charging upon the land,
from Hear an Army Charging Upon the Land by James Joyce

grinning.gif

Now we have..

I hear an army charging upon the land,

Shakespeare
9) Hear an Army Charging Upon the Land by James Joyce

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Aug 12 05, 06:41
Post #15

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Aww

I was going to add sumthin else.

'And if I dreamed, I dreamed of that far land,'

W.F.Turner, The Search For The Nightingale.

Dont matter,

The new word is 'fade'

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 12 05, 07:36
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I like your line suggestion more Arnie  troy.gif - so I'll edit it to read as:

Now we have..

And if I dreamed, I dreamed of that far land,

Shakespeare
9) The Search For The Nightingale by W.F.Turner

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 12 05, 07:43
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

lovie.gif and :(  at the same time!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Aug 12 05, 09:42
Post #18

Ornate Oracle

Fourth line second verse:

I meet my shadow in the deepening shade

Theodore Roethke ~ In a dark time

Now we have..

I meet my shadow in the deepening shade.

Shakespeare
10)In a Dark Time by Theodore Roethke

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 12 05, 11:35
Post #19

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Ahhh arwen.gif

This is so good you two! hsdance.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 14 05, 07:53
Post #20

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cybele @ Aug. 12 2005, 10:42)

Fifth line second verse:

The accuser of sins by my side doth stand,
from I Rose Up at the Dawn of Day by William Blake

Now we have..

I meet my shadow in the deepening shade.
The accuser of sins by my side doth stand,

Shakespeare
10) In a Dark Time by Theodore Roethke
11) I Rose Up at the Dawn of Day by William Blake

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:02

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: