it stays so I may grasp a truth which lies
like fecund seed or sprout in fallow field
which yearns for life. Its future or demise
may be a revelation yet revealed.

Dependent on a mood or time’s constraint,
that new insight is mulled. Fruition’s taste
upon the tongue is savored; flavor’s faint
but spice from each embellishment will haste

a dish filled with delight for all to see.
The picture of a thought she gave to me.

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Kindness is a seed sown by the gentlest hand, growing care's flowers.
Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Psyche
post Oct 23 14, 14:46
Post #2

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Larry,
What a shame this lovely sonnet has been lying alone here for so many days. I understand it's a reply to another poem, but first I want to comment and show my appreciation for the wonderful pieces you offer us. Without being an expert on F&R, of course.
Where is everybody? I know a lot have moved to another website. I just haven't because I don't have time and I like MM. Sad...

QUOTE (Larry @ Oct 16 14, 02:50 ) *
A Musing Tell

She slips into my mind a whispered thought
about an untold tale or sentiment
I must reveal. No matter how it’s wrought,
conception must occur. Though transient, <<<<< I love S1, all of it.

like fecund seed or sprout in fallow field <<<<Nice play on alliterations of 'f' and 's'.
may be a revelation yet revealed. <<<<<Same here, no nits, just enjoyment.

Dependent on a mood or time’s constraint,
that new insight is mulled. Fruition’s taste <<<< Not sure where you put the emphasis on some words. In my Brit knowledge, it's "in-sight", so I stumble a bit here.

upon the tongue is savored; flavor’s faint
but spice from each embellishment will haste

a dish filled with delight for all to see.<<<<<Same here, where do you emphasize in this line?

The picture of a thought she gave to me.

Great couplet for the finale. I'm so glad I stopped over because I learn a lot from you.
Cheers, Syl***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Oct 24 14, 13:59
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 446
Referred By:Just wondered in.

Hi again Sylvia,

Yes, the ranks are becoming thin but being an old "stick-in-the-mud" I don't do facebook, twitter, et. al.!

The poem is in straight IP: -/-/-/-/-/. I know that due to differences in language, pronunciations, ethnic backgrounds,
and too many other variables to mention, there are going to be bumps in everything written except for possibly prose
and free verse. I do enjoy giving pleasure to those who read my offerings and am happy to explain anything but
colloquial variables and other linguistic anomalies that constantly crop up when reading. Sorry!!!

Try reading those stumbling points with the old "ta-Dah, ta-Dah, ta-Dah.....". Sing-song, I know but I try to make the
song as interesting as possible.

Thank you very much for your visit. I thought I'd thrown this out into wind to fly away to Neverland.

I'm glad to read that things are settling down for you and that you are getting help with your husband

Prayers and Best Wishes going your way.

Larry

·······IPB·······

When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the areas of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of his existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

jerryk
post Oct 26 14, 07:23
Post #4

Egyptian

Member No.: 4,480

Hello Larry;
I'm one of those deserters that had abandoned this site for another due to lack of activity; actually, that's not what I want to talk about.
Your Sonnets are always flawless, and this one is a delight. The Shakespearean sonnet in the straight IP form is my favorite one, and as far as I can tell, you adhere to it beautifully. I don't ever feel the bumps that you had mentioned to Psyche; if there are, I would say it's the reader's scansion or recognizing strong and weak beats due to differences in pronunciations or regional accents. On another forum, one reader mentioned that my own verses were not always on the beat. First of all, I'm an Arizonan and the lady is English; secondly, when in doubt I always consult my Merian Webster dictionary that is quite clear on syllable stresses. But most importantly, many variations are commonly allowed in metric verse. Even mixed iambs and trochees are permitted, including added unaccented grace notes (as in music). If one manages to write the sonnet in a perfect beat without distorting or losing the message, that's all the better, but a monotonous click clack click clack can be the flaw in a flawless verse. Your sonnet is perfect, and the stresses are right on the mark. Again in some areas within the English-speaking world, some readers might stumble over the word "into." Some would say into, others say into. My dictionary states, into, with the stress on the "in." To the average reader of poetry this is of no matter at all; the natural voice inflection easily compensates for the wrongly perceived flaw.
Larry, I'd meant to make a brief comment on your excellent poem--but it turned out to be a lengthy discourse. You are a master craftsman and sonneteer. See you on the other side, lol. Jerry

Larry
post Oct 26 14, 14:52
Post #5

Creative Chieftain

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the visit and the kudos. As you say, pronunciation, enunciation, colloquial differences in stress points
in some words and that forever language barrier makes it difficult to be all things to all people. As long as I feel
satisfied with my renderings and make other people enjoy reading them, I'm happy as a clam.

I did notice on the other site your mention of "Larry being against capping each line". My take on the reason the
old masters utilized this form has more to do with the "typesetters" who printed the poems and books than the authors
themselves. Having been a "printer's devil" in high school and setting the "sorts" and proofing the "forme" gave me a
little insight into the literature and people of that era. Most sorts were carved and it was much easier to carve out
a large capital letter than a small one. Don't know if this was the main reason for capping the first letter of each line
of type or not.

Your soliloquy on form and stress points was very nice. I didn't mind it at all and it was informative to both the
layman and the more experienced writers.

Again, thanks for the read and comments.

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Oct 28 14, 23:24
Post #6

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the good wishes.

And yes, it did seem that your beautiful sonnet was going to fly away to Neverland...a shame! I'm so glad I spied it in time, because some members remove their poems if they get no comments for several days.

Also thanks for your explanations and advice. I learn so much from you, just as I did from the ones who've flown away to Mary's website. I did accept the invitation, but then I never posted anything. No time. Maybe.

There's always been that problem with the accents on words. It's of no importance, your sonnets are always a pleasure to read...several times!
I also consult the dictionary, as well as listen when it's an online one. Otherwise, I use my Oxford. And I notice that they don't always coincide.

In my case, nowadays I hardly ever speak English to anybody. I was born in Argentina, where the bilingüal schools teach the British system, with Certificates and A-Levels and such. The exams are sent to Cambridge Univ...LOL...

My parents spoke English at home, but that was so long ago.

Keep 'em coming, Larry! Such lovely pieces...I do hope Lori, Eira and some others return. I miss them.

Cheers, Sylvia cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 10 15, 07:54
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Larry, wave.gif

Wow! What a fantastic sonnet filled with lots to ponder! I always enjoy your personification and I especially enjoy this stanza:

like fecund seed or sprout in fallow field
may be a revelation yet revealed.

There is just something about this that grows on me! It's like the muse is fully aware of the power of positive or negative thought here. sun.gif

Fruition’s taste upon the tongue is savored; (LOVE that!) lovie.gif

Overall Larry, a very enjoyable read!
~Cleo Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Larry
post Mar 11 15, 23:40
Post #8

Creative Chieftain

Hi Lori,

"WOW" is right. I am so pleased you enjoyed my "amusing tale" of what my muse means to me and how she
seems to be able to plant that little seed which may or may not grow into something that make one proud.

I always sit here slightly embarrassed from the praise you and Syl heap upon my sonnets.

Thank You!!!!

Larry

·······IPB·······

John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Larry D. Jennings

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 28 15, 10:16
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

wub.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 13:31

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: