land it decimates,
weak assimilate,
survive, they mediate.

War’s hell,
dying flesh smells,
church bells chime
bitter farewell.

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Cathy_*
post Aug 10 06, 07:02
Post #2

Hi John,

I'm sorry it took so long to respond to this but I wasn't home most of the day yesterday and didn't get to do much on my pc. (Getting Blaise and some other things ready for tonight's Popcorn Festival Parade!)

Your rhyme and rhythm are quite pleasant. The title is very fitting. Things like this can bring on a bitter farewell when solutions can't be found. My only thought is for your last verse...

War’s hell
dying flesh smells,
church bells
chime bitter farewell.

Maybe...

War's hell
dying flesh smells,
church bells chime
bitter farewell.

I would also place a comma after 'hell'. IMO, by putting 'bitter farewell' on a line by itself lends more emphasis.

Enjoyed the read!
Cathy

JLY
post Aug 10 06, 07:13
Post #3

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Cathy,
I wrote this in response to the current problems in the Middle East.

Your suggestion is a great one and I am going to make that change...it will make the title stand out as you have suggested.
Thank you.
JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Aug 10 06, 07:24
Post #4

Your welcome! sun.gif

AMETHYST
post Aug 10 06, 09:16
Post #5

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi John

These is a lot strong reference here, that focuses on, as my own perception leads me to believe, it is about the wars and god aweful happenings in Isreal and then, on more closer to home-every day rages on the street, in our communities and sometimes with in the home.

The title is extremely powerful. It is what also helps me to bring it together for many situations where we stop looking for solutions and react and rely solely on our own primitive rage as it boils up and takes control.

Some thoughts below, as Cathy mentioned, the rhymes are tight and strong, the inner voice is powerful, and I also felt that your word choices enhanced the dramatic feel of the poem.

Big Hugs, Liz ...

BITTER FAREWELL

Again Great Title

Anger dwells
when ignorance swells,
hostility wells
during anguished spells.

This is a perfect, perfect starting stanza. The way it grows from leading the image of anger stirring within us, as it builds, then gets beyond us during negative moments.
Not a nit here.

Strife escalates
as intervention deviates,
factions berate
while conflict castigates.

I wasn't too sure of the word factions. I am not sure of the meaning you intend here. I will wait to see what that is before further suggestions on it.

Tensions elevate
if discourse agitates,
dissonance debilitates
reason to cooperate.

I would omit 'if' in L2,
L4, 'reasons'?

Powerful confiscates
land it decimates,
weak assimilate,
survive, they mediate.

L1, perhaps ..
Power confiscates
or 'the powerful confiscate'
a comma after it in L2.
poss change 'weakness assimilate'

War’s hell,
dying flesh smells,
church bells chime
bitter farewell.

perhaps L3, 'a bitter farewell'

I hope I've left something helpful..

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Aug 10 06, 12:12
Post #6

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Liz,
Thank you. You gave me those little hints that will make this even better.

When I used "factions", I am referring to that often used phrase "warring factions".

I am going to tweak this one gently as I think if I change it too much, I might lose its impetus.

JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Aug 12 06, 11:42
Post #7

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi John,

Although the revisions were minor, they really improved on those minor stumbles... I like this in that it is full of forceful images, the short lines emphasize the passion behind the words...

:)

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Aug 12 06, 12:41
Post #8

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Liz,
Thank you; this poem only needed the very slightest changes to make it stronger. Your assistance was most helpful.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Aug 13 06, 05:30
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

There is a great deal of power and angst in this, John, but it doesn't flow as well as most of your pieces. To me it seems to have almost the feeling of a list of things. It's closeness to meter also seems interrupted by lines unbefitting of the expected flow. Do you mind if I just play with it alongside you? I don't know how else to share my feelings.

QUOTE(JLY @ Aug 9 06, 07:40 ) [snapback]80769[/snapback]
A BITTER FAREWELL

Anger dwells
when ignorance swells,
hostility wells
during anguished spells.
When ignorance swells
an anger dwells;
in anguished spells
hostility wells
Strife escalates
factions berate
As strife escalates
intervention deviates
and factions berate;
conflict castigates.
Tensions elevate
discourse agitates,
dissonance debilitates
reasons to cooperate.
As tensions elevate
discourse agitates;
dissonance debilitates
reasons to cooperate.
Powerful confiscates
land it decimates,
weak assimilate,
survive, they mediate.
Power will confiscate
land it decimates;
the weak but assimilate;
surviving, they mediate.
War’s hell,
dying flesh smells,
church bells chime
a bitter farewell.
War's always hell
as dying flesh smells;
spires' chiming bells...
a sour farewell.

running.gif Lightly walking through with you, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Aug 20 06, 15:37
Post #10

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Daniel,
I like how you have revised this poem; I think you gave it a little more smoothness. It may have been too edgy in its original format.
Thanks,
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Aug 20 06, 17:00
Post #11

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Thanks, John...

but we both know, of course, that only YOU can revise this poem. I and others can merely share our perspective and workshop it with you! So my posting is merely a snapshot of my perspective of your words. You may use them, bend them, glue them, toss them, reshape them... any way you like to continue to fashion and hone your conception into your poem.

deLighting to share in the process, Daniel dance.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Aug 20 06, 18:02
Post #12

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Daniel,
I will reshape them a bit with suggestions brought forward by yourself and several others.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 20 06, 18:33
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi John.

A timely and powerful piece here! Profound title, good rhymes (one booboo below to swap).

I know you aren't into minimalistic poetry too much, however, I had an idea below that carries through the whole poem. Please take or toss as you wish.

Marveled by this one,
Cleo mm.gif mm.gif

Anger dwells[,]
when ignorance swells,
hostility wells[-]
during anguished spells.

Strife escalates[,]
factions berate [-]
(fresh word choices)

Tensions elevate[,]
discourse agitates,
dissonance debilitates[-]
reasons to cooperate.

Power [s]ful confiscates
land it [they] decimates,
weak assimilate[-]
survive[rs] they mediate.

War IS hell,
dying [rotting] flesh smells,
church bells chime = Rhyme is off – suggest:
church-chiming bells[-]
a bitter farewell.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 20 06, 18:37
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

One more thought John in S1: You use two variables in 'Anger' - how about 'during distressed spells' in L4?

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Aug 20 06, 19:26
Post #15

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Lori,
This one goes against my grain...I am definitely not one to minimize words...for me the more the merrier.
I need time to digest your suggestions and see how they play out. I will work on a revision and post it in a few days.
Thanks,
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 27 06, 16:11
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

No worries John.

As we all say, your poem is your own - so YOU must make the choices as we go...

HUGS
Lori kiss.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2024 - 14:13

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: