Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello all, wave.gif

Recently, one of our members raised a concern/observation in his thread for critique. It is regarding the number of 'views' noted on the forum index next to each thread. The feeling is that why are so many reading, but not responding?

Here's my view on those views:

I venture to guess there's an 80/20 ratio where 20% are actually views made by people and the remaining 80% are views by automated scripting spiders. Spiders have many other terms (in the computer world that is) - web robots or bots, web crawlers, but the most recognizable link to a crawler is the component software agent that drives them: search engines. These are not people viewing the threads, so the 'views' number must be taken lightly. It's code that seeks out sites, scanning their content (for HOURS) adding keywords to their home pages like google and msn.com for example. The purpose there is so that when you add those key words into a search engine, poof - you'll get links back based on the search criteria you've requested. Even our "most users online" number is skewed by bots crawling the site.
Wiki says: A web crawler is a program or automated script which browses the World Wide Web in a methodical, automated manner. Other less frequently used names for web crawlers are ants, automatic indexers, bots, and worms. This process is called web crawling or spidering. Many sites, in particular search engines, use spidering as a means of providing up-to-date data. Web crawlers are mainly used to create a copy of all the visited pages for later processing by a search engine that will index the downloaded pages to provide fast searches. Crawlers can also be used for automating maintenance tasks on a website, such as checking links or validating HTML code. Also, crawlers can be used to gather specific types of information from Web pages, such as harvesting e-mail addresses (usually for spam).

A web crawler is one type of bot, or software agent. In general, it starts with a list of URLs to visit, called the seeds. As the crawler visits these URLs, it identifies all the hyperlinks in the page and adds them to the list of URLs to visit, called the crawl frontier. URLs from the frontier are recursively visited according to a set of policies.

I should hope others do not come and go without posting solely because of the skewed "views" number? That is very disappointing. It cannot be taken personally as I've mentioned above, it has no bearing on the replies, unless the implied confusion is a root cause of folks NOT posting.

As I've said from the start of MM, it's you, the members, who make (or break) this site, not me, the site owner. I provide the vehicle to have your works seen and workshopped (if that is your intent) in a relaxed, friendly setting; it's up to the members to do the rest. All it takes is a few folks to come in, make those posts and replies and start the change trending upward. How do we enact change, that's the real question? If no one makes any posts when they visit, well then, the whole point of this mute, don't ya think? I saw several people on here last night reading (adding to that views count), but they didn't post anything, just came and went. It also goes with the level of workshopping here, you folks set the bar, and others will follow if it's what they seek. I tend to think of MM as a 'moderate' workshopping venue - some are very thorough and detailed offering strong reviews, others tend to go a bit lighter, so all in all, it's an even, moderate keel IMHO.

I'll get off my sandbox now...

I welcome your thoughts and suggestions everyone. Read.gif

Have a good day! writersblock.gif
~Cleo Pharoah.gif cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page

Posts in this topic
- Cleo_Serapis   My view on those 'views'   Feb 5 08, 06:55
- - Xanadu   Thank you so much for that information Cleo!...   Feb 5 08, 10:25
- - Don   Shouda knowd that bots add hits. I could easily h...   Feb 5 08, 10:56
- - Merlin   Hi Lori, I don't pretend to have answers. Evi...   Feb 5 08, 14:40
|- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi Eric, I don't have any answers either, but...   Feb 5 08, 17:03
- - jgdittier   Dear All, I have long believed that "views...   Feb 5 08, 17:17
- - heartsong7   I come often and read lots--- far more frequently ...   Feb 5 08, 17:32
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hello Linda, You are very welcome. I'm guessi...   Feb 5 08, 21:06
- - Merlin   Answers don't come easy. I'm aware of dif...   Feb 5 08, 21:49
- - Cleo_Serapis   You are most welcome Ron. Glad we have cleared up...   Feb 5 08, 23:00
- - Psyche   Hi Lori, hi All! As I already said in Eric...   Feb 6 08, 10:43
- - Eisa   Hi there - I apologise, but I've viewed this t...   Feb 8 08, 05:01
- - Psyche   Hi again, All! I had an amusing experienc...   Feb 8 08, 09:31
- - Cleo_Serapis   So you've seen these bots firsthand, Syl, ...   Feb 9 08, 09:55
- - Don   Cleo, thanks for explaining the band of gypsies th...   Feb 9 08, 12:07
|- - Cleo_Serapis   Hello Don, How are you this fine Saturday? Wel...   Feb 9 08, 13:13
- - Don   Hi Cleo, Yes, we agree that the information on th...   Feb 9 08, 14:58
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi Don, Yes, even though in my day job I tend to ...   Feb 17 08, 17:12
- - Don   Hi Cleo, In our society any number is better than...   Feb 17 08, 17:18
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi Don, If you go to the Herme's Homilies ind...   Feb 17 08, 17:24
- - Cleo_Serapis   Update: I've edited ALL skins now and have rem...   Feb 17 08, 21:47
- - Psyche   Hi Lori! Does this mean that Google, Yahoo et...   Feb 18 08, 10:01
- - Cleo_Serapis   Hi Sylvia, Oh no, the spiders will still be cr...   Feb 18 08, 10:07
- - Cleo_Serapis   Ok - I've added back the forum Views column to...   Feb 18 08, 10:39
- - Psyche   Hi Lori! I'm lucky! I had already cho...   Feb 20 08, 10:48
- - Cleo_Serapis   I just edited Halloween (new skin) and Spring Flin...   Mar 30 08, 08:42
- - ohsteve   Hi Lori, I don't very often come to this secti...   Aug 31 08, 13:51
- - bombadil1247   Hi, Lori, I always read a post at least three tim...   Jul 27 10, 10:00
- - Cleo_Serapis   Thanks Jim. I wish more folks could see it the w...   Jul 27 10, 11:56

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:20

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: