Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greetings from Edinburgh, the city of umbrellas...
Guest_Dave_Shedman_*
post Aug 12 07, 09:25
Post #1

Hello everybodypeople.

After much hair tearing (and I don't have much left to tear) and help from a certain admin hereabouts, I've finally managed to get registered with MM and I'm looking forward to getting to know my way around, slowly but surely. Of course, I know some of you already (you all know who you are!).

I've registered under the name of Dave_Shedman as my name's not Dave and I don't have a shed. Those of you who know me already will understand the reason why though - to the rest of you it will become clear in the fullness of time!

In case anyone's interested, my real name's Graeme, I'm 45 years old, short fat and ginger and I currently live in Edinburgh where it rains a lot. With a bit of luck and a fair wind following, I'll be emigrating to Johannesburg shortly after Christmas to live with Mistral. It rains there too, in summer, but it's a lot warmer!

Anyhoo, I won't be posting a great deal to start with as I'm caught up in my emigration planning and don't have time for much else at the moment. But I'll post a poem or two just to let you know what I'm all about. I'm always open to constructive criticism and keen to learn so don't be shy, tell me what you think!

ΤΏΤ

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 12 07, 09:39
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Graeme, wave.gif

Glad to see you here, finally! Newbie.gif PartyFavor.gif Balloons.gif We'll need to send the 'guys' on over to the powers that be who decided to make a banned IP block usable again and not tell everyone, LOL.gif sheesh! Protocol police, beware! police.gif

Don't worry, your secret on the penname is safe with me (coz I don't know all the details) yet. rofl.gif

Just give a hollar should you have any questions as you find time to post with us. I'm looking forward to it! You can also PM any of our staff, AMETHYST, Eisa, Cathy, JLY, Arnfinn or Imhotep as well. teacher.gif

So much to do, so little time! magictongue.png

Welcome to MM! margarita.gif
~Cleo Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Terocon101
post Aug 12 07, 12:16
Post #3

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 440
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Ephiny

Hi Graeme,

I wish you a warm welcome, like the one I received not too long ago when I arrived. Its a good ol spot with loads of friendly and very few unfriendly people magictongue.png

Sounds like a very interesting time in your life. I wish you all the best during the slightly stressful period of upheaval, but Edinburgh/Johannesburg...it sounds like sunny times ahead... and having bumped into the lovely mistral, I'm sure all will be good. thumbsup.gif

Ok, looking forward to interacting and reading your work.

Have a good one.

·······IPB·······

Terry

light
lights
light

--Raymond Rosliep

"The imagination imitates. It is the critical spirit that creates."

--Oscar Wilde

MM Award Winner

Mistral
post Aug 12 07, 12:17
Post #4

Assyrian

Member No.: 451
Referred By:Alan M Douglas

Welcome at last, my Shedman Angel!

Don't be fooled, citizens of MM, he may be half bald and half round and half short and quite ginger, but he wears a halo (when he's not up to mischief!) and is the gentlest person I've ever met.

Sheddie Hon, it's great to see you and I'm so glad the sign-in problem has been sorted. Thanks, Cleo!

Luv ya!
M

PS: Don't worry Hon.....the shed is waiting for you.....

·······IPB·······

Guest_Don_*
post Aug 12 07, 15:23
Post #5

Welcome Graeme,

I was just reading that 13% of the Scots are ginger--red hair--compared to 1% for the world. The article was about severe bias against ginger hair people in England. Although bald, are you a fair skinned ginger?

Rotund reminds me of a former member named Jox, an Englishman economics teacher. An intelligent jolly chap, which makes me think you are also.

Looking forward to your work when you leave your umbrella behind in the relatively far north.

Don

AMETHYST
post Aug 16 07, 07:59
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Welcome to Mosaic Musings

Looking forward to reading all of the poetry that will be stirred by so much change and wonder as you begin a new. Congratulations to both you and Mstral. If you have any problems getting around, please send out a shout...

Best Regards, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Peterpan
post Aug 16 07, 13:10
Post #7

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 127
Referred By:Jox

QUOTE (Dave_Shedman @ Aug 12 07, 16:25 ) *
Hello everybodypeople.

After much hair tearing (and I don't have much left to tear) and help from a certain admin hereabouts, I've finally managed to get registered with MM and I'm looking forward to getting to know my way around, slowly but surely. Of course, I know some of you already (you all know who you are!).

I've registered under the name of Dave_Shedman as my name's not Dave and I don't have a shed. Those of you who know me already will understand the reason why though - to the rest of you it will become clear in the fullness of time!

In case anyone's interested, my real name's Graeme, I'm 45 years old, short fat and ginger and I currently live in Edinburgh where it rains a lot. With a bit of luck and a fair wind following, I'll be emigrating to Johannesburg shortly after Christmas to live with Mistral. It rains there too, in summer, but it's a lot warmer!

Anyhoo, I won't be posting a great deal to start with as I'm caught up in my emigration planning and don't have time for much else at the moment. But I'll post a poem or two just to let you know what I'm all about. I'm always open to constructive criticism and keen to learn so don't be shy, tell me what you think!

ΤΏΤ

This is amazing, Graeme. Welcome. I live in Johannesburg, and Mistral and I have made contact via written words...I look forward to 'seeing' and meeting you in SA. Shall I say, we are the city of sunshades? mmmm, sunshades...the sun shines 365 days of the year...ok if not, in the am, definitely in the pm! Johannesburg has the best weather in the world!

Welcome, and hope you will be posting some interesting Scot poetry?

PP (Bev)

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Peterpan
post Aug 16 07, 13:17
Post #8

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 127
Referred By:Jox

Hi Dave~

See you are presently reading...we are known as a friendly city of the world. WELCOME!

PP

·······IPB·······

May the angels guide your light.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Dave_Shedman_*
post Sep 8 07, 06:22
Post #9

Hi again, and thanks to everybody who replied. Several million apologies for not replying sooner but things are quite hectic here, preparing for a three month trip to South Africa and preparing to emigrate there. So thanks for the warm welcome, everyone, very much appreciated.

Don, I'm sorry to disappoint you but despite being ginger and having lived 26 of my 45 years up here in Scotland, I was actually born in England, though only just. If it's any consolation, I know I was conceived in Edinburgh!!

Anyway, I've actually written a poem today for the first time in months so I'd better go do some crit so I can post it for all to peruse! Thanks again for the warm welcome.

ΤΏΤ

JustDaniel
post Sep 8 07, 16:57
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

Greetings Graeme... you'll have to let us know how to pronounce that... and I'll try to master it as soon as I've mastered the spelling... and then trying to remember both of them.

That's hard for an also round, short, balding senior citizen who doesn't care much any more!

Glad you've chosen to jump aboard... and managed not to tip the boat over yet; do I gather that you're prone to rock it? This one's too sturdy to turn over, so don't try.

deLighting in your joining us and learning some of your goings and comings, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Dave_Shedman_*
post Sep 9 07, 06:32
Post #11

Thanks for the welcome, Daniel.

No big mystery about the pronunciation of my name, just pronounce it the way you would pronounce Graham, as in Graham Greene (only literary Graham I could think of off the top oy my head). 'Graeme' is apparently the Scottish version of it, even though both my parents are English and, as I said, I was born in England. Easiest way to learn it, I guess, is just to think of it as Grey-M. I was once told that it meant 'the dweller in the grey mansion' but whether that's true or not, I can't say. However, if in doubt, just call me Dave!

ΤΏΤ

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 18:47

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: