Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Sad Announcement On The Passing Of A Dear Friend, The Loss Of One Dear To All Of Us
Morgan le Fay
post Aug 14 05, 15:59
Post #1

Assyrian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 20
Writer of: Poetry

Dear MM Members and friends,

It is with great sorrow that I'm here to tell you all of the passing of our beloved friend, Mr. Larry Carr.  He was most often known as the "Great One, Zeus".  Indeed he was a "Great One".  Dear friend and mentor to many and all here at MM.

Just about a half an hour ago, I recieved an e-mail from his niece, Ms. Allison Stanley.  I will post a copy below:

To Larry Carr's dear friends...

This is the only email I have that has Larry's friends emails...Larry passed away this morning, his kids think it was from an allergic reaction from medicine.  This is all I know....Please spread the word and feel free to email me privately and I will keep you updated.  I will be calling tonight and hopefully will know more.

Allison Stanley
Larry's Niece

Larry Carr wrote:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO WHAT A RIDE!"

Allison Stanley  

I don't really know anymore than this.  I believe Larry's niece has contacted Lori and many other of his friends.  Either myself, Lori, or another of his many friends will post more news as it becomes available.

Love,
Chris

·······IPB·······

"...Morgan le Fay was not married, but put to school in a nunnery, where she became a great mistress of magic."

- ?Mallory, Morte d'Arthur

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 14 05, 16:53
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Thanks Chris for posting this. I hadn't yet read my emails when you PM'd me.

Peter and I had the pleasure of meeting Larry in June and lunched together (with another of our poet friends John Yelavich, JLY).

Larry was so full of life and seemed to love it all - taking everything as it came. He was truly a pick-me-up type of person and I shared many chats with him up until just a few days ago. I am so sad to hear of his passing but know that he lived life to the fullest, so in this regard, I am certain that he is dancing on wings, and his spirit will live on in us. In tribute, I plan to complete the showcase forum he had started here with his works.

Miss you pops!
Lori

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Aug 14 05, 17:04
Post #3

Hi all,

Chris - thank you for posting this.

Lori - thank you for the info which I received by e-mail from you.

I just looked-up Larry's final posting on MM - it was yesterday morning, if I have the right one. He was building his new showcase of works.

From early reports it does sound as if we lost Larry to accident. In a sense it is no surprise that he wasn't lost to old age - because he never reached that in any posting I saw.

Larry's irreverent humour can be seen all over MM - not just in his own works but in very many crits which he has posted.

To me, however, I think I'll remember him best for the few private e-mails I received from him when I was finding things difficult. He'd always have some deliciously rude message which cheered me and offered me his support.

I've only know Larry (via MM) for a tad under two years (He was a founder member and I joined a month later). But, in all that time, I don't recall anything he said that was unpleasant, unsupportive or unwanted. Indeed, his intrinsic sense of humour was always there.

I know it is custom to talk well of the dead but I don't do that. I do it of Larry because I mean it.

J.

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 14 05, 17:06
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I would like to write a tribute poem, but I cannot formulate the words at this moment.

Here are two pictures I have of Larry.

To a great man..
May your spirit soar as it always has with us.  :sun:
We love you!

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Aug 14 05, 17:29
Post #5

Thanks Chris for posting this.

When I think of Larry it is the wise old Zeus as depicted in his avatar, sharing with us the wisdom of his years - a twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face as he pens one of his unique witty crits.

He will be greatly missed  and leaves a big void here on MM.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.

Nina

Charon
post Aug 14 05, 21:25
Post #6

Egyptian

Member No.: 5

This was devastating news.  We have lost a great friend, humorist, and loving older brother.  The world was a better place because of Larry, and so  am I.  

I have been fortunate to know Larry all the way back to the wonderful days of Poem Kingdom, when he and I discovered we had much in common.  Both ex-Sailors during a turbulent time of our country's history.  We both loved God, family and country.  Both devout Republicans and dedicated Hillary bashers, we enjoyed sending each other teasers and funny jokes about politics and life.

Above all, we adored our friends we made at PK and now at MM.

I could always count on my daily emails from Lar to pick me up when I had a rough day.  He seemed to love life, and shared his love with everyone.  I lost another dear friend last year and wrote a tribute to him. Please bear with me now as I rededicate this to another lost friend, it is simply called Friends:

Fresh as a breeze when it drifts in the spring,
Rare as incense and the scent it will bring,
Intense as the sun, but warm in its cling,
Everlasting as a song that a child will sing,
Never far from thought, just give it a ring,
Dazzling in beauty no pain from its sting,
Simple and free, my friend is my wing.

I shall remember his humor forever.

Butch
aka Charon

·······IPB·······

Beware the smile
for it hides a good time.

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Aug 15 05, 03:01
Post #7

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17

Bad news, I'm devastated...

Larry was a good mate. We had a lot in common, he was like a brother in a way. What a terrible thing to happen.
I'm sorry I cant write anymore, I'm too upset.

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Aug 15 05, 05:06
Post #8

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Referred By:Larry Carr

Larry was a great man. Had the pleasure of having dinner with him on several occasions and with one word I can best describe him: "Raconteur".
He was a fun guy; very witty; very creative; and he took pride in his work and subsequent postings on M. M.
It was Larry who first invited me to join M. M. and I will forever thank him for that.
He was a true friend to everyone here and his comments were always positive and constructive.
JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Aug 15 05, 06:27
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

The news of Larry's passing has come as a tremendously unexpected blow to us all I am sure, and to his family in particular, to whom my heart and prayers go out.

They can be consoled by the fact that Larry aka the Great God Zeus bowdown.gif  bowdown.gif  bowdown.gif bowdown.gif was a very talented writer of verse, had a droll, infectious sense of humour and was a treasured friend to us all.

I shall miss him greatly. Farewell Larry. Rest in peace.

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Aug 15 05, 07:53
Post #10

I didn't know Larry as well as all of you but I wish I had.  I've
obviously missed out on something wonderful.  My thoughts go
out to his family and friends.

Cathy

Ephiny
post Aug 15 05, 12:35
Post #11

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 41

I was so sorry to hear about Larry's death and my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends at this time, including all of you.

Larry gave his very all here, and I was always happy to see his posts, whether his own wonderful writing, or his replies to posts by myself or others.  They were always full of biting wit, humour and also, true understanding.

He will certainly never be forgotten, or far from our thoughts

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 15 05, 18:48
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I wanted to send along my deepest thank you to all the folks who have sent me personal email replies. GroupHug.gif

I do hope you'll post your thoughts here too, but if not, I understand.

I'd like to post some of the wonderful comments here now.

"This is a dreadful news and so sudden. He is such a good poet and has inspired me in more than once in writing. I am so sad, so sad."  

"Seems to me that he had the life, AND the ending, that he would
have wanted. Sad for the rest of us, but OK for him."

"...he managed to make me feel truly "cared for", which is so important when one has troubles to face in life. Larry
was so full of fun, caring friendship, flirtatiousness, jokes of all
kinds and colours... I hadn't time to read every joke he sent, but each time I clicked on something from Larry, it sent me into fits of laughter
(ROFL, LOL....!!!) and/or impressed me by its sheer outrageousness... so sad, it will take me ages to get used to the big gap in my In-tray, where I knew I could always rely on good ol' Zeus to uplift my spirits, fly me over to Olympus to celebrate with gods.... no rules applied up there !! And he will be sorely missed at MM. No doubt about that. I sometimes suspected there was a sad man behind that avalanche of play & fun. Maybe his heart finally broke, I know he loved his wife very much indeed and missed her a lot since she passed away five years ago. Yes, he was joy. Good ol' Larry, you've left a great void, I'll miss
you so much.... and I never got over to U.S.A. to meet you personally. I'm glad that at least some of you were able to have a get-together last June. And thank you again for the photos. He will be remembered always, I'm sure of that. Zeus is not dead, he's just taken the journey back to Olympus, I think he's OK."

"Larry was such a dear and wonderful friend - I feel very lucky to have known such a man.  Anyone who has met him has def gained something.  This is a very sad day for me."

"Disbelief, that's the state I'm in. The news about Larry was so sudden and irrational that I doubted its veracity. And should it be true... Then I was fortunate to call him friend, ever so briefly and casually, but I'd be pressed to name another I knew with as sunny a disposition. Perhaps it had to do with all his time lounging poolside?
Zeus is dead? It cannot be. I knew a little the man behind the avatar,
at least I'd like to think so... And he was joy."

"I knew Larry from afar.  His exuberance shone brightly across the Internet.  Our first contact was at PK site, where he befriended me early as a new member and passed on wise advice for me not to take poetry too seriously. He knew me well. Then we bantered at Mosaic Musings, where we came to roost.  I remember Larry each time I see M&M candy and their upbeat TV advertisements. Truly sad to see Larry Carr exit at his youthful age of 70.  I am glad MM intends to keep all his posting cheer in new  ShowCase tile(s). Larry Carr will not be forgotten."

"I'm so sad to hear of Larry's passing. He was such a wonderful person. His humor will always be remembered. Much love to his family and all his friends."

sun.gif  :angel:  :sun:

I've also received an email from Liz - so sorry Liz - I would love to talk with you over the phone but I'm still too utterly choked up. This lump in my throat hasn't yet subsided.... I hope you understand - perhaps in a few days? Most probably don't know that Larry and I chatted daily about MM, life, work etc... and he always managed to make me (and Peter) smile and shake off the blues when some days just don't go as planned. I'll always remember that about Larry - a true friend in every sense of the word. Never judgemental, always there and always with a smile and a joke......  

Liz has a bit more news as she spoke to his son Robert: to quote her posting at Poetry 911:
"I spoke with his son Robert a little while ago and he will keep us posted of the arrangements to be made. It seems Larry had an allergic reaction to a change in his medications-I know that over the past two weeks, Larry has been having problems with the medications and his diabetis...Possibly he might have had a recent mild heart attack. Not surprisingly, as we know Larry-He drove himself to the hospital this morning and yes, that is something Larry would do. Never wanting to impose on anyone... "

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Morgan le Fay
post Aug 15 05, 18:54
Post #13

Assyrian

Member No.: 20

Dear friends.

I am devastated as well by the passing of my wonderful friend, Larry.  Yesterday and today have been hard days.  He has been on my mind almost every minute.  

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and all of his friends.  I’m sure his passing is leaving a terrible void in their lives.

My life will be immeasurably more lonesome without hearing from him on a daily basis.  We e-mailed each other everyday.  Often times, several times a day.  Since Lar was an early riser, he always sent me a “good morning” e-mail, and since I was the late riser and stayed up into the wee hours. I sent him a “good night” e-mail.  I so looked forward to his daily jokes, news articles and the daily chit-chat of our lives.  He was always sending me little joke tokens in the mail.  Things like “Chuckles Candy”, which he wrote about in his poem, “Candy Love”.  At Easter time, a package of  “ Peeps”.  One day we were talking about cooking and he asked me If I liked chili peppers.  When I said that I did, he sent me some “Cubanell Pepper seeds.  

A little over a year ago, he told me of a gift his children had given him.  I believe it was for Father’s Day?  It was a book that they had made for him, comprised of a collection of his poems.  He was so tickled about it and sent me a copy, which is a true treasure of mine.  It’s called, “ The Admiral OF The Fleet, A Collection OF Poems By Lawrence M. Carr.

It’s been my true pleasure and blessing, to have had the privilege of knowing someone with such a grand generosity of spirit as Larry Carr.  I will miss him more than words can say.

I’d like to share a poem of his.  It’s on the last page of his book.  I think it describes his spirit better than anything I could ever pen.  Somehow I don’t think he’d mind my sharing it with you all.

Zilch, by Lawrence M. Carr

“ On the streets, it means nothing

skid row, people without anything

residents looking at the aftermath

of a tornado

exclaiming to each other,

we have nothing.

Las Vegas bettors

saying tearfully

it’s all gone,  nothing

Young love, after a breakup

there is nothing.

What is nothing?

It’s defined as

“ a quantity of no importance”

how do we measure nothing?

what value does it have in life?

do we gauge our success with it!

We started out with nothing

do we end with it!

there are a lot of words

to describe nothing

nada, zip, aught,

nil, zero

but…..

we have the opportunity

to make something of nothing

you can wish, work hard for it,

extend friendship and love,

to those.. who have nothing

you can then say..

I have everything."

I for one think that Larry had it all.  I know for a fact, that Larry, gave his all.

I’ll miss you my friend.

Sincerely,

Chris

·······IPB·······

"...Morgan le Fay was not married, but put to school in a nunnery, where she became a great mistress of magic."

- ?Mallory, Morte d'Arthur

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 15 05, 19:04
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

touched deeply Chris
lovie.gif cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Aug 16 05, 04:18
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

No words can ever express how I feel at this moment. This sad news is devastating -- unbelievable.

I first met Larry at PK when he helped me over some posting problems ( I was really computer illiterate) He was so very encouraging to me as a new poet with his critiques, that showed tremendous understanding of what I had written.

When I was having problems with my mother's Alzheimer's he started e.mailing me. I felt he was always there if I needed someone to talk to. Like with many others, he daily sent me his funny -- often outrageous e.mails that made me laugh and lifted my spirit so much. How I miss them now.

My thoughts are with his family too. I remember how I felt last year when my father died very suddenly. I have to think that is how Larry would have liked to go -- no lingering illness and suffering. As my husband said of my father " He lived until he died" and I feel this can also be said of Larry.

I love him and miss him so much.

Snow

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 16 05, 05:02
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

from Ron:

"I never got to know Zeus. I’m sure time would have resolved that but in his memory I’ve read some of his postings and feel now I can wish him a better send-off. Praise be to a fellow believer in poetry as a means to bring on the smile."

grinning.gif  :lovie:  :sun:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Aug 16 05, 07:49
Post #17

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 22

Hello Everyone,

I did reply to Lori's original massage on the day she gave us the terrible news, but it seems to have got lost.

Now, painfully, I write a further tribute to Larry the Mighty Zeus! bowdown.gif bowdown.gif bowdown.gif

At a time when I was at my lowest ebb, Larry, God Bless him, was there among my other friends lifting my spirits and applying a little salve to help heal my heart.

Like everyone else I was in receipt of his outrageously funny emails.
I always thought of Larry as a sort of mischievous elf,in his emails, his poems and his stories.

The world is not a sadder place for having lost our dear friend Larry, but a gladder place for his time here and all the joy he brought to so many people. Rest in piece Larry, God Bless you.

Don't make the Angels laugh until they cry please, (unless you are over the desert at the time) we can do without the rain!

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Ephiny
post Aug 16 05, 15:09
Post #18

Creative Chieftain

Member No.: 41

I wonder..I just read James' reply when he said that Larry's last posting was putting together his collection of works..this is just a tiny suggestion..but perhaps if we were to give that forum a title based upon his very apt name here, Zeus..?  Just a thought...

·······IPB·······

Lucie

"What could have made her peaceful with a mind
That nobleness made simple as a fire,
With beauty like a tightened bow, a kind
That is not natural in an age like this,
Being high and solitary and most stern?
Why, what could she have done, being what she is?
Was there another Troy for her to burn?"
WB Yeats "No Second Troy"

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Aug 16 05, 15:18
Post #19

Hi Lucie,

It's an excellent idea - but Lori's beaten you to it...

http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/cgi-bin....SF;f=59

Cheers, James.

AMETHYST
post Aug 16 05, 16:32
Post #20

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

I read through most of the posts, the warmth and love from those that knew Larry and those just knew of him is amazing. His legacy of friendship to us all. As I scanned down the posts, I kept waiting to see Larry's post. As I often scan down a thread to see if he had posted his witty and common sensed thoughts and opinions that always made me smile and feel less heavy-hearted. It made me very sad to realize his post wouldn't be there, unfortunately it will take a lot of time to over come that habit.

I wanted to say how blessed we've all been to have, in some way or another, been touched by Larry's presence. He will be missed more than words can ever say-in our on line time and in our off line lives.

I know that each of us who has been priviledged to know Larry will have some part of him live on through us... he was the living definiation of "FRIEND," Patience, he lived with the brighter side of life attitude and HE WILL BE MISSED...Dearly.

Each of us are blessed for knowing each other and I thought that this is a great time to say to many of you that many have touched my life in a positive way, some I feel a deep concern and caring as I do my own family. Larry had welcomed my daughter, grandaughter and myself into his family and life... and over the past 5 years, he has become family... I am so grateful for all that comes into my life.

Blessings to everyone and strength during this sad time,

Love, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:30

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: