Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Breeze, Haiku
Guest_Don_*
post May 28 07, 09:15
Post #1

Cleo_Serapis plugging at "Haiku No. 1" prompted me to submit the 5-7-5 below.
I seldom consider Haiku because it has an insurmountable number of rules. Well, actually in other than Japanese it has become boundless. Anything goes depending upon the queen bee of the day.

Breeze

Breath in hollow tubes
whispers serene panoply;
lullaby upon spring breeze.

I am fully aware that the above is less suggestive than desired. This may be offset by being verbally vague.

Aspirate tubes
free lullabies
in panoply.

Don

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Eisa
post May 28 07, 09:50
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

QUOTE (Don @ May 28 07, 15:15 ) *
Cleo_Serapis plugging at "Haiku No. 1" prompted me to submit the 5-7-5 below.
I seldom consider Haiku because it has an insurmountable number of rules. Well, actually in other than Japanese it has become boundless. Anything goes depending upon the queen bee of the day.

Breeze

Breath in hollow tubes
whispers serene panoply;

I am fully aware that the above is less suggestive than desired. This may be offset by being verbally vague.

Aspirate tubes
free lullabies
in panoply.

Don

I would say your first version is not concise enough and I prefer the 2nd version ... although I'm wondering about your aha! moment? I'll leave it to the experts to decide ... while I learn.

Glad to see you joining us in this new forum to join the fun and learning.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post May 28 07, 10:48
Post #3

A hearty hello Snow,

QUOTE (Eisa @ May 28 07, 08:50 ) *
I would say your first version is not concise enough and I prefer the 2nd version ... although I'm wondering about your aha! moment? I'll leave it to the experts to decide ... while I learn.

Glad to see you joining us in this new forum to join the fun and learning.

Snow Snowflake.gif

Ah certainly appreciate your observations. I doubt if ah'll have an "aha" because mine is a takeoff of Lori's. A secondhand aha is like a joke without punchline.

To be a little punchy, I think the effort is an attempt to capture an epiphany as a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience. This definition pasted from a dictionary.

One must conclude that the inspiration causes overwhelming speechlessness, which results in only a few syllables put to paper. Imagine, a professional writer of few words?

With tongue-in-cheek, I'm already discouraged knowing that most of my inspirations are commonplace and fall short of a profound "aha!" revelation.

Please be aware that I am not taking Haiku very seriously. I've tangled with this bull before and it ain't gonna get into my china shop agin.

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post May 28 07, 11:16
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

QUOTE (Don @ May 28 07, 10:15 ) *
Breeze

Breath in hollow tubes
whispers serene panoply;

Aspirate tubes
free lullabies
in panoply.

Hi Don and welcome to our new forum! PartyFavor.gif Balloons.gif

I think even if this isn't an official 'haiku' with all the parameters met (and I'm no expert) it would still be ok as it was INSPIRED by that form and it contains 7 lines or less, which qualify as a poem for this forum. You'd have to decide which of the two though as only one poem is allowed per post. magictongue.png

As for the first one, you've got a 5/7/7 which makes it over the limit for haiku - so I will focus on the second one.

Aspirate tubes (breathing tubes)
free lullabies (sings a tune)
in panoply. (a protective covering)

Hmmmm - I'm thinking this should be switched around:

Aspirate tubes
in panoply --
gratuitous lullabies

4/4/7 = 15 PHEW

I think the above might even be more considered a Senryu as it's about a person v. nature?

Enjoyed!
~Cleo sun.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post May 28 07, 11:37
Post #5

Hi Cleo_Serapis,

My oh my, I didn't realize I was presenting two submissions within my babble.

I don't see any people involved. It is either about natural breeze flow in artificial instrument or about music from a man-made device. Intent is not polysemous, but rather dependent upon reader's viewpoint. If one applies the expected restriction of a nature subject, then the reader can only relate to the natural breeze flow.

My decision would be to pick the first as the "one."

Go ahead and delete remainder if you wish.

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post May 28 07, 11:57
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Oh my! blush.gif

I didn't even see the idea that it could be a musical instrument that you are intending Don (and of all people, I SHOULD have for two reasons: I am a floutist and I work for a company that's all about 'sound' as you already know). rofl.gif

I'm feeling a bit embarrassed for not catching that. So with that in mind, I'll tackle your first one now (and let's wait to see what others say - I am of the mindset that you are offering two ways to state the same message which is different that posting two different poems - we're all still feeling our way through this new forum. Idea.gif

Breath in hollow tubes
whispers serene panoply;

Ok - in L1 - as a floutist, we would breathe (blow) OUT across the mouthpiece, not into it so exhale or respire come to mind.
So perhaps: Respire hollow tubes.
For L2, I suggest removing 'whispers' and placing it in L3.
L3 would become : whispers of Spring OR serenade of Spring.

Respire hollow tubes
serene panoply --
Serenade of Spring

Let's hear from the experts, ok?

~Cleo butterfly.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post May 28 07, 12:08
Post #7

Hi Lori,

I was thinking of the wind chime hollow tube being more like an organ pipe. Is the standing sound wave generated by air across opening of pipe or into end of it?

Don

Guest_Kathy_*
post May 28 07, 17:08
Post #8

HELLOOOOO.... any experts around here?

Guys, haiku is written in simple language. It should capture the essence of a moment. Only a moment. Any philosophy coming from that is defined by the reader. The poet relinquishes all identity, all cleverness to work in symbiosis with the reader.

Juxtapose one simple image with another, or a kigo, see what happens. Just images. Show us, come on....

Guest_Don_*
post May 28 07, 18:04
Post #9

Looks like you are the expert, Kathy.

Have you examples of kigo? What subjects are fair game? What are the minimum and maximum allowed syllables per line, and total. Must Haiku always be three lines. Are we clashing or combining two subjects or thoughts or what?

Don

Guest_Kathy_*
post May 28 07, 18:21
Post #10

QUOTE (Don @ May 29 07, 09:04 ) *
Looks like you are the expert, Kathy.

Have you examples of kigo? What subjects are fair game? What are the minimum and maximum allowed syllables per line, and total. Must Haiku always be three lines. Are we clashing or combining two subjects or thoughts or what?

Don

Don, there are two links to kigo on Cleo's thread this morning. Have a look.

Subjects: anything in haiku, and I mean everything. The old masters wrote about a horse pissing, and other surprises.

No stipulations re syllables per line. Just 17 or less in all.

No. Haiku can be two lines, one, four, or a horizontal line. Usually it is three though.

We juxtapose, Don. Put one image next to another to generate a dynamic between them.

All this and more is in the many educational links already provided.

Guest_Don_*
post May 28 07, 19:14
Post #11

Thank you Kathy for your patience.

Kigo seems to be equivalent to European agricultural and pastorial cycles--usually four in the west. However, it has been altered and lists exist, which I am finding difficult to fathom.

It seems the 5-7-5 pattern is considered formal and deviations are considered like free form Haiku. The latter seems to be taking over like westernized free verse popularity displacing R&M.

Your word juxaposition is a mouthful and denotes simultaneity of entities. I assume Haiku limits number of entities to two.

Much of the academic links are typically understood if you previously know what they are talking about. It is like the story of the person who said that Albert Einstein explained his theory to him, and he was convinced that Albert understood.

I am certain that Japanese are as complex and as simple as any other. So don't blame them for bare bones trends. However, I have a vendetta regarding "lean" manufacturing which we atribute to them as required to survive as Americans. Hence, undercutting the bone with Haiku is against my grain.

Thank you again

Don

Guest_Kathy_*
post May 29 07, 00:23
Post #12

Don, 5/7/5 was a mistake from the start. Westerners misunderstood. Japanese onji are not equivalent to English syllables. And one of them is a 'cutting' word ie punctuation.

But some Westerners still write in 5/7/5

Lary and I have posted links re this already, but I'll try and locate some, put them here for you. Hang on.....

http://www.haikuhut.com/Haiku%20Definition.htm

Scan down to HAIKU

http://www.hsa-haiku.org/HSA_Definitions_2004.html

Cleo_Serapis
post May 29 07, 05:15
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Don,

I've been thinking: perhaps this musing of yours might be better labeled as one of the following short forms (OR you can simple say it was inspired by the short forms haiku/senryu). That way, you have liberties with not following the set params.

Hay(na)ku: http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/index.php?showtopic=10395
In a traditional Hay(na)ku, there are: A tercet: 3 lines. A total of 6 words: 1 in the first line, 2 in the second line, and 3 in the third line. There is no restriction on syllables or stressed or rhymes. Variations: The longest line can be placed first and the shortest last. The total is still 6 words: 3 in the first line, 2 in the second line, and 1 in the third line. Multiple hay(na)ku can be chained to form a longer poem.

OR

Faux-ku: http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/index.php?showtopic=2291
faux-ku must have: (1) a fetching title ~ including word-play ~ HeadCase Haiku ;
(2) haiku/senryu form [ two snapshots ] ~ 5-7-5 syllables... or 3-2-3 beats
one snapshot in two lines, another in one line or vice versa
(3) word-play in each snapshot

Whatcha think?
~Cleo teacher.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post May 31 07, 00:22
Post #14

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 10
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Oh so much to read up on... so much learning. I am getting excited and itchy to try one on for size... with this new knowledge.

Don, I am on the other side of the fence here, sitting with you soaking up the new information and learning. So, unfortunately I can offer your post anything worthy, but wanted to say it has potential as an interesting image and room to bring into a more established Haiku format ... I will sit next to you and read/learn about it if you wouldn't mind the company!

Best Wishes, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Kathy_*
post May 31 07, 02:40
Post #15

Don, would you like me to go along beside you too? We could look at what emotion/memory/revelation you want to give to the reader.

I thought perhaps it is the music of wind.

Guest_Kathy_*
post May 31 07, 04:31
Post #16

Don, I just found this list of the five hundred essential Japanese season words, and thought of you:

http://renku.home.worldnet.att.net/500ESWd.html

Guest_Don_*
post Jun 7 07, 11:53
Post #17

Thank you Kathy,

for all the encouragement and links. At this time I wish not to learn an entirely different form of prosody. At least the links and information are archived (in a sense) here for future reference when I change my mind.

Don

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:51

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: