Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello!  Snowflake.gif

I'd like to ask if anyone would be interested in helping me with some illustrations for our up and coming First Annual Mosaic Musings Holiday Classic artwork.

I am going to put together a chapbook of all the submissions (including the posts Butch and I did that I've already moved into the archive forum).

Depending on the length of each tile, there may be 'space' left over on the page and I'd like to fill it with artwork that would compliment the poem or short story's theme.

The art can be in various formats, black & white or color.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Thank you!
Lori  Pharoah.gif  holly.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Cathy_*
post Dec 7 04, 15:48
Post #2

What kind of illustrations are you looking for Cleo?  Computer-art, sketches...?

Cathy dove.gif  :holly:  :dove:

Guest_Jox_*
post Dec 7 04, 15:54
Post #3

Good question, Cathy.

Yes, I meant to respond to this earlier... I design but I am not a freehand illustrator / artist.

Lori, if you would find anything I can do useful, please let me know what it might be and we'll explore if I can help.

James

Guest_Cathy_*
post Dec 7 04, 15:59
Post #4

I'm no good with design but I can do some sketching...

We just need some idea from Cleo about what she wants. Wizard.gif

dove.gif  :holly:  :dove:

Guest_Jox_*
post Dec 7 04, 16:01
Post #5

I think we should be in business, together, Cathy!

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 7 04, 19:14
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello Cathy and James! wave.gif

Thanks for your replies!

I am open actually to all types of artwork... sketch, charcoal, computer graphics, paint....

If you take a look at the posts in both the new forums "Halls of Montezuma" AND "Winter Solstice" I was hoping to get some images for some of the posts.... I have picture images but i was thinking maybe other forms of artwork would be nice too...

I would give complimentary copies of the book as payment (sorry wish I could give more)... plus credit to the artists of course!  dance.gif

Please let me know if there are certain posts (scenes) in mind..

Thanks!
Lori  Pharoah.gif  cloud9.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Dec 7 04, 22:16
Post #7

I'll take a look at those posts and see what I can come up with.

What sort of time table are we looking at?

Cathy holly.gif

Guest_Cathy_*
post Dec 7 04, 22:20
Post #8

Hey James!  Sounds good to me. Jester.gif

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 8 04, 06:28
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Cathy.

One can never tell with me about time.....

Let's shoot for one month? May be longer....
I've still got the July and Aug menageries to complete...

Cheers!
Lori laugh.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Dec 8 04, 09:22
Post #10

That works good for me! I'll get started and see what I can come up with.

Cathy Snowflake.gif

Guest_Jox_*
post Dec 8 04, 16:49
Post #11

Hi... Well, for my sins, this is the sort of naive style I like but it may not be the sort of thing you're looking for. This was done in about ten minutes (and looks it) but does reflect the approach. This is based on Alan's Vienna poem...

Copyright AMcD
SILENT NIGHT, VIENNA

Christmas Eve,
House on hill,
Edging
Vienna Woods.

Shopping done,
Food prepared,
Tree decorated,
Ready to amaze children.

A moment to myself.
Magic moment.
Dressed for dinner,
Waiting for the feast.

Relaxed, rare treat.
Outside, snowing heavily.
Noticed it earlier ?
I think not.

Open balcony door,
Look past slope
Of front garden,
To street, and beyond.

There, the magic.
Snow falling, thick flakes,
Several inches lie,
Heavy, dreamy, white Christmas.

Street lights struggle to shine
Through snow lacing the branches,
Dimmer as distance
Stretches into valley.

Late Christmas Eve
Vienna usually silent.
Snow blankets completely
Any chance remaining sounds.

Snow, and peace,
On earth.
Alone and tranquil,
For myself and all -
Silent Night, Vienna.

Alan McAlpine Douglas

James.

Guest_Cathy_*
post Dec 8 04, 22:10
Post #12

This is cool!  But James, are your letters supposed to be backwards?  :jester:

dove.gif  :holly:  :dove:

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 9 04, 05:17
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Interesting James!  :reindeer:

Can you make one without any words too?  :detective:

~Cleo  :chilly:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Dec 9 04, 06:02
Post #14

Hi all,

Though Alan spoke of "opening" out of a balcony door; I was trying to capture the idea of looking out as in a window - hence the backward letters. (People also use that device to cause viewers to pause a while whilst they read it - but would I stoop to that? err, no comment).

The main font (orange / yellow) is a sort of 1950s cinema-style to (try to) remind us of "The Third Man" - which mentions of Vienna always do for me.

The bottom-of-page quote changes colour to reflect Alan's words "Street lights struggle to shine" - you'll notice that they become brighter during the word "struggle". They were at the bottom to represent the place where the street light pools.

The grey-striped square was going to be the house but I gave up and posted then - needs working on.

In his poem, Alan says that snow is lying thickly... can't do that or else we'd simply have an Andy Warhol white-out! (See, the power of poetry!) Instead I filled-in the flakes as they hit the trees.

Without words is far easier in some ways, of course, but in this case the words were part of the picture; trying to bind the poem and the image together. The shape and the colour and the inverseness (is that a word?) all played their parts in that. So the answer is yes, of course words are easily removed or omitted but I do think (certainly this particular image) would lose a great deal. (Actually, I started with the main words and built the rest of the picture from there)

As you wish, though; your choice - anything fine by me.

All the best, James.

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 9 04, 06:12
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Let's ask Alan....
Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Dec 9 04, 07:28
Post #16

err, sure but I haven't shown him yet - very unfinished - was just giving you an eg!

Cleo_Serapis
post Dec 9 04, 12:16
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I should send him a link to this tile! Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Dec 9 04, 12:41
Post #18

err, will you accept bribes?

Guest__*
post Dec 9 04, 14:39
Post #19

err ....

ask me what ?

Love
Alan

Guest_Jox_*
post Dec 9 04, 15:29
Post #20

A Comedy Of Error, methinks.

This is somewhat embarrassing for me, Alan. Lori asked if anyone could provide illustrations for chapbooks (I think). Cathy and I said we'd see what we could do. Lori said simply choose something from one of two forums and have a go. So I did - I actually chose your Vienna poem, partly through serendipity and partly because it inspired me.

I then mocked-up an illustration. (a few posts above this - previous page). It is not yet meant for "public" consumption - just as an illustration to Lori to see if she was interested in my "style," It is very far from finished and quiet quick. I have provided an explanation of how I got there a couple of posts below the illustration.

Lori asked if I could omit the text (of your poem). I, of course, could but I did say that your text was the essence of the picture.

Lori then suggested she ask you for your opinion (not of the crapness of the image, but of the use of your words as an integral part of it).

Please remember, this is only a mock-up - though in essence not too far from how I would finish it. I didn't want you asked (nothing personal) because it was only a mock-up. nevertheless, now you have been ... that is the question...

How do you feel about the integration of your text in an illustration to illustrate your poem?

Cheers, James.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 22:30

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: