Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi all.  grinning.gif

I'm just making this one up here in honor of our upcoming (US) holiday Tuesday, Nov 11 - Veterans Day.  cali.gif

The challenge:
Write a letter to your soldier, or your loved one(s).

This 'veteran' has been off to war for a very long time and is on the way back home. You can write from either the soldier's perspective or the loved-one's perspective.

GOOD LUCK!  :drill:  detective.gif  cheer.gif  :roman:  cali.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 8 03, 09:22
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

This is written from the soldier's perspective, however, it's to his Lord, regarding his love.

~Cleo

A Soldier’s Plea

I’m simply a soldier, who fights for what’s just
relying on comrades with absolute trust.
Resolved in defending my homeland with pride,
protecting our freedom, aggression defied.

My love for my darling, forevermore bound,
second only to Yours, Lord: it’s trust I have found.
May rev'rence unite us, unswerving in deed,
yielding only to honor, by oath, we succeed.

Protect us dear Lord, from all harm and ill will,
let peace reign supreme, in condemning the kill.
Help me be brave, in the heat of campaign,
and return to my love, unbroken and sane.

© 2003 Lorraine M Kanter

All rights reserved by Lorraine M Kanter as an unpublished work.

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cailean_*
post Nov 9 03, 16:26
Post #3

The Promise

My Love,

I hope this missive reaches you; I have tried my utmost to ensure its safe delivery.

Know that this letter is an expression of my very soul, alive with my love for you. The distance that separates us tortures me. Yet, thankfully, that torment assuaged to feel the keenness of two alike, the connection, the joining of souls. Within my heart you are with me, and this sacred truth gladdens me and eases my suffering.

What I feel for you cannot truly be expressed with mere words, neither by this mortal hand that writes these passages, nor this mortal voice that speaks the joyful phrase "I love you" so fervently. Such love dwells within me, fills me, makes me whole, the most glorious wonder I have ever experienced. I walk within the beauty of it.

Even though my poor words do not do justice to how I feel for you, I know that you discern my feelings, for it is not a love I have, but a love we share. This bond, this mystical, wondrous bond, forged from that very understanding, that acceptance of another person, and of being accepted in turn, is truly miraculous. The marvel that is love, coursing through my veins afire, awakening me to Life. My life is my love; my love is my life.

If I died at this very moment, I would be happy in love. Nothing can steal this eternal moment from my heart. Death holds no terror for me now, but the thought that I might lose the love we share, fills me with such dread that I cannot bear to think of such horror.

"My love" ... I say these words to myself in soft reverence, yet uncaring of whoever might overhear them. Let them hear; this love we share should not be hidden. I am not ashamed of how I feel; I could shout it from the rooftops gladly, let the whole world know, ask them to celebrate in my happiness.

My heart soars upon high, unfettered, free. The memories of our shared hardships, our troubles, the events that almost broke us - fade like ice in morning sunlight. We fought for love against the bitter storm. There is nothing so prized as something so hard won, but we endured, we are where we want to be - in the blessed realm of love.

I see all the lonely people, and remember that I was once one of them. I remember how, without love, my soul was trapped in the morass of despair. My heart goes out to them, and with it, a tiny flame of love, to shine, to warm them in the cold blackness. One day, may they too find love.

Yes, one day ... I shall return to you, my love, one day, but I do not know when that might be. Yet know, it is my heart's desire, my soul's will to be with you, forever. I shall not be denied!

Time passes, and things change, the wheel of seasons turns, never-ending chase. I do not know what the future holds, whether bliss and delight or tragedy and woe. Yet times bright or dark, I will be there in love, hand in hand, as we face that silent dawn together. My love transcends this Life, for when my time here is over, I shall wait for you in Death's halls.

Your Love.

(Dove surmised from an earlier posting that this was possibly a letter written from someone in wartime writing home, and when I wrote it, it was with this setting in mind, Dove = canny :) ... so I decided to pop it here as well as in the prose section for critique. This is the fixed version, at least I hope so :) For myself, being out in a foreign country, a hostile land fighting for a worthy ideal, one needs the connection, the love of your home sustaining you. So, in this spirit, this letter was written.)

Cailean Darkwater.

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 9 03, 17:02
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

What a lovely letter too!  :lovie:  :operagal:

You've certainly said it with love in mind!

Well done "C"!  :glitter:  :dove:

Hugaroooos!
~Cleo  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:40

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: