IPB
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pissonnet by WANDA S PARROTT, per inventor w/ contest win example
Guest_Don_*
post Apr 16 05, 10:54
Post #1

PISSONNET:

Following is a copied and pasted email exchange between Wanda Sue Parrott, inventor of pissonnet and Don Holmes, MM member, regarding:
1] pissonnet rules and guidelines with a contest winning example;
2] request for and approval to use this material at Mosaic Musings; and
3] an invitation to enter a poetry contest open to all poetry styles, which seems to be restricted to citizens of United States and Canada.  I suspect the postage cost is a barrier.

For information about the current 13th Annual National SENIOR POETs LAUREATE Poetry Competition for American poets age 50 and older, and to get rules for entering, please visit: http://www.amykitchenerfdn.org/
and click on SENIOR POET LAUREATE

To: "Don Holmes" dholmes@woh.rr.com
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 1:44 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Re: pissonnet

Don:
Yes, with my very great appreciation, go ahead with your plan. 

I invented the Pissonnet under the name Diogenes Rosenberg, one of my pen names.  

Thanx.
Wanda
--------------------------------------------------------------
Ms. Parrott,
I am so delighted you responded in depth so soon.
May I have your permission to copy and past the data below, using your name  at Mosaic Musings, LLC, which is an on-line poetry forum. I introduced pissonnet form and need to supply this source data to some very  interested poets.

Thank you again on behalf of poets everywhere

Don Holmes

----- Original Message -----
To: "Don Holmes" dholmes@woh.rr.com
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: pissonnet

Don:
The Pissonnet is 14 words, each a single syllable.
There are two lines.
Line 1 has 12 words.
Line 2 has two words.
There is also a title, which you should write last--after the poem is done--and it can be any length and number of words, be they single syllable words or otherwise.

The title should fill in gaps from the body of the poem.

The format of the poem--that is, its structure--is this:
Line 1 has three quartets (4-word sequences).
Rhyme scheme for each quartet is: words 1 and 4 rhyme; words 2 and 3 rhyme.
You can choose any combination of rhyming sounds, such as:
a-b-b-a   c-d-d-c   e-f-f-e
a-b-b-a    a-b-b-a   a-b-b-a
a-b-b-a   c-d-d-c   b-a-a-b (inversion of the rhyme scheme of quartet 1)

Your 2nd line is always a rhyming couplet.  It can repeat a sound from Line 1, or introduce an entirely different one.  As long as the couplet rhymes, you are okay.

The Pissonnet is written horizontally--across the page--rather than vertically in the usual line-by-line format.

Forgive the grossness, but this is a Pissonnet that follows the rules, and it actually won a contest:

BIRD WATCHER'S VISION
Gaze high,sky haze. Farts fly; eye smarts. Dropped gift swift-plopped.
Bird turd!

I used this example because the rhyming couplet does what line 2 should: gives a surprise, shock or twist ending with impact!

I hope this helps.  They are hard to write, but can be quite clever--and even beautiful.  That is why we call the Pissonnets the "world's shortest sonnets."

May the Muse be with you.

Wanda Sue Parrott
--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Ms. Parrott,

Though attempting to write a few, would you please enlighten me
regarding rules and guidelines for pissonnet.

Thanking you in advance.

Don Holmes

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 17 05, 07:04
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Thanks Don!

This looks like a good, fun challenge..

Cheers!
~Cleo cheer.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 17 05, 07:43
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

kitty.gif  Fat Cat’s Tomfoolery I  :kitty:

Matte fur, cat purr. Licks hair; picks heir.  Jumps up, thumps cup.
Brat splat!

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Apr 17 05, 08:06
Post #4

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ April 17 2005, 08:43)
kitty.gif  Fat Cat’s Tomfoolery I  kitty.gif

Matte fur, cat purr. Licks hair; picks heir.  Jumps up, thumps cup.
Brat splat!

Hi Cleo,

up = adverb
splat = adjective or noun.  Which is it?

I must check with Ms. Parrott to see if she forgot to tell us that only nouns and verbs are applicable.  Per instructions above, as is, my query about "up" and "splat" are groundless.

You may know more than I, but I question periods and the semi-colon location.

Your good choice of ryhme scheme makes illusion to sentences with less word association content.

Don

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 17 05, 08:23
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Don.

Oh? I didn't realize that? Can you ask for us please?

splat is an adjective in this example. laugh.gif

Cheers!
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Apr 17 05, 08:42
Post #6

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ April 17 2005, 09:23)
Hi Don.

Oh? I didn't realize that? Can you ask for us please?

splat is an adjective in this example. laugh.gif

Cheers!
~Cleo

Hi Cleo,

How could you be expected to know?

The question is already on the web thread, crawling its way to Wanda S. Parrott.

My information about the noun/verb restriction is from another monthly project activity, a group called Bards of a Feather.  Often we are limited to noun/verb regardless of the poetic form.

My view is that as every other fixed form has modifications, so shall pissonnets.

I am reticent to send any to general contests because the pissonnet form may not be that well known.

Pioneers traverse a bumpy road.

Don  :pharoah2

Guest_Don_*
post Apr 17 05, 13:17
Post #7

Hey everyone,

Here is additional information from Wanda S. Parrott regarding her rules for her invented pissonnet.
--------------------------April 17, 2005, email ---------------
Dear Ms Parrott,

Are pissonnet single-syllable words to be strictly nouns and verbs?

Don Holmes
--------------------April 17, 2005, email reply ---------------------
Don:
No. 1-syllable is anything. I suggest adjectives like "red" or "grey" for imagery.  Also, "shout," "sing," or ""cry" for mood.  
As in haiku and senryu, every word counts--and the message is usually unwritten between the lines--that is, it is implicate in tone .  
For this reason, I suggest avoiding meaningless words such as "so" (the most over-used non-meaningful word in poetry, although it can be used  properly and with impact.
Articles such as "the" and "a" also are often wasted, but not always.
Example:
A bear
vs.
Ma bear
The lst two words do not tell you much about the bear. The second pair tell you the bear is adult, female and has had cubs.  That is implicate!

See how complex simplicity can be!

Wanda

Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 17 05, 13:43
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Oh goodie! hsdance.gif

Thanks Don!

~Cleo grinning.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Apr 18 05, 03:27
Post #9

Don, this is fascinating.

I particularly enjoyed the web site.

In her own words, here is some vintage Amy. Think about it!

"The way human beings use their tongues indicates the types of people they are... Are you a sucker or a licker?

"If you would be the invincible human being, if you would attain the impossible dream, if you would conquer the unconquerable, become lavender."

And the poets' credo, too.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Fran (tongue firmly in cheek, as usual)

Guest_Jox_*
post Apr 18 05, 03:50
Post #10

Hi Don, Lori, Fran etc,

Yes, oh dear :)

I'm afraid I'm of exactly the same mind as Fran on this one... problem is because I see so many forms as, shall we say, doubtful, I wasn't brave enough to be forthright on this. However, hiding behind Fran's Cape of Good Hope, I can quietly squeak that I think the title ("Piss-Sonnet") gave the warning from the outset.

In fact, to me, every page on that web site appears to be brilliantly-written satire - very clever indeed. That is the real art-form; high quality parody / satire. If any is true, I'd be amazed.

I tried in my previous comment to be neutral, maybe I should have been more honest at the risk of offending.

And NO!!! I didn't set that web site up - HONESTLY! (I would have loved to have, though).

Of course, there is nothing stopping people from converting a piss-take to a high art form, aprt from... err the form itself.

Yours in Lavender Poetry and Purple Prose (and Colourful Conning),

All the best, James.

Guest_Toumai_*
post Apr 18 05, 04:07
Post #11

James, seeing the reference to lavender, I did wonder. But no mentions of GSDs, so I figured probably not.
Fran sun.gif

Guest_Jox_*
post Apr 18 05, 04:11
Post #12

Brill! What a wondrously excellent memory!

Obviously not me, then.

That deserves a rare smiley and two !!s

Thanks Fran sun.gif

J.

JustDaniel
post Apr 18 05, 05:31
Post #13

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

My first question to Don was whether the title of the "poetic form" were a play on words.  Are we also to conclude that her response to Don was playing with his head too?

kneadin' Light, Daniel  :sun:

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Apr 18 05, 05:53
Post #14

Well, Daniel, I think you're right.

I doubt it was anything personal to Don... I think just a continuation of the joke. But, of course I may be proved wrong (often am!)

Cheers, J.

Guest_Don_*
post Apr 18 05, 09:00
Post #15

Don’s open letter,

Remember that this thread is captured in general search engines and significantly public.

Like Jox, I am attempting to be neutral to avoid offending, and I do not perceive any malicious intent.  

The “site” in discussion is sales and inspiration pitch. The quotation in Fran’s tile is an example: “Are you a sucker or a licker?”  If you are not a buyer, the answer is neither.  I tend to watch snappy outfits and feline features of flashy shows. Hence, I miss the sponsor’s commercial message.  You might say that they over did the grabber.

Please note that Ms. Parrott is/was an actress; she has several pen names; and she employees fictional characters, such as Amy, as officers in valid active organizations.  I think we can all agree that she is an excellent wordsmith.

Satire or no, pissonnet is a valid, established fixed form.  To me, the overt satire is in the name, piss-on-it. My personal take on WSP is that she is an honorable poet promoting the art.  Some of us tend to analyze promotion details, and others do not. My mind dismembers sexy attributes.

Don

JustDaniel
post Apr 18 05, 09:10
Post #16

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 6
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

Thank you so much, Don.

Please note that my last post posed a QUESTION, not an OPINION.  I simply wanted to hear from you about whether the form is legit. I think you've satisfactorily answered that question.

I certainly find the form fascinating.  Evidently Lori did too, producing something quite creditable.  I haven't been sure that I could do that myself, but I'm giving it another shot.  The limitation to one-syllable words is a killer!

Appreciating your Light, Daniel  sun.gif

shipdates
men flick Bic pen; geek pals, gals chic; friends flip ship ends
bear heir

© Daniel J Ricketts 18 April 2005

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Apr 18 05, 10:04
Post #17

Hi Don,

Thanks for your helpful reply.

I suppose we all have to make our own judgements and, after thinking about it, I still can see no other option than to see it as having been established as a satire / parody. Although I'm not a natural formist, I can see that, in the right hands, many forms can produce good - even excellent - results. I think this is simply there to have fun tying people in knots trying to fit the form.

When I visit that web site - the only thing it motivates me to do is laugh. Not just this particular form but the whole site seems comic-book ludicrous to me. Don't get me wrong; it's brilliantly put together; very funny and I imagine its web address will be passed round many people (I've already started). But face-value serious? I'll never believe that.

You say the lady is an actress? For me that fits very well. The web site is playing a part - and most entertaining it is, too. None of this is to question her ability - as I say, I think she’s done brilliantly. And I’m enjoying the entertainment.

Anyway, if others wish to follow this form, good luck to you. I’ll go away and leave you to it.

After all, I see no reason why you shouldn’t turn satire on its head, as I said, save the form itself.

Have fun!

James.

Guest_Don_*
post Apr 18 05, 10:30
Post #18

QUOTE (Jox @ April 18 2005, 11:04)
Hi Don,

"...many forms can produce good - even excellent - results. I think this is simply there to have fun tying people in knots trying to fit the form. [I absolutely agree about the knots.]

When I visit that web site - the only thing it motivates me to do is laugh. Not just this particular form but the whole site seems comic-book ludicrous to me. Don't get me wrong; it's brilliantly put together; very funny and I imagine its web address will be passed round many people (I've already started). But face-value serious? I'll never believe that. [I am certain a percentage do take it seriously because a great many, at least this side of the pond, are into fantasy. Whatever it takes to sell a product or idea is fair within reason.]

You say the lady is an actress? For me that fits very well. The web site is playing a part - and most entertaining it is, too. None of this is to question her ability - as I say, I think she’s done brilliantly. And I’m enjoying the entertainment. [I think of fiction writers more than acting generating imaginary scenerios.]

Anyway, if others wish to follow this form, good luck to you. I’ll go away and leave you to it. [My prognosis is that a few formalists will tackle the challenge, and the rest, like yourself, will remain free.]

After all, I see no reason why you shouldn’t turn satire on its head, as I said, save the form itself.

Have fun!

James.

Hi Jox,

Hey, you have fun too.

Don

Guest_Don_*
post Apr 18 05, 10:41
Post #19

Hi Just Daniel,

shipdates
men flick Bic pen; geek pals, gals chic; friends flip ship ends[;]
bear heir[.]

Please explain, “ bear heir.”

Capitalize beginning.  Sounds good to my tin ear.

Don

Guest_Jox_*
post Apr 18 05, 10:53
Post #20

Cheers, Don,

Thanks for being a good sport,

Take care now,

James.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 23:46

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: