post Apr 23 13, 07:16
Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori

This is an old one I've decided to revise again. The original can be seen in the archives here

I've taken up Sylvia's suggestion and moved the 'lunch time news' stanza from the beginning. However, I didn't put it at the end but just before the last stanza - where I had written it in the original!

Crows

Their ruckus startles --
flocking across the sky
like inkblots splattering
blue embossed paper.

The murder flurries to the lawn:
wings beat,
beaks stab,
piercing shrieks. I wince.

My dog leaps from a nap, yapping,
charges to scatter them.
Surging to poplar arms
they chatter in protest.

Silence.

Roses scent the air;
where grass fringes their bed
my pooch noses the prostrate victim,
still alive, bloodied neck, pecked.
I hotfoot for my mobile.

An avian ambulance arrives,
carries away the listless pigeon
in a cardboard box stretcher;
life’s pendulum swings.

Radio One Lunch-time News:
A gang'’s frenzied attack
leaves a lone passer-by with critical injuries
in Intensive Care.

kraa-kraa-kraa
Crows taunt from a sycamore --
wood pigeons perch in a wing-to-wing line,
prattling on next-door’s roof.
ru-hoo ru ru-hoo

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Psyche
post Apr 24 13, 00:55
Post #2

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

Hi Eisa,
First read for me, so I won't peek in the archives and perhaps get all the answers to my doubts... and then what? LOL...

QUOTE (Eisa @ Apr 23 13, 14:16 ) *
This is an old one I've decided to revise again. The original can be seen in the archives here

Crows

A gang’s frenzied attack
in Intensive Care.
<<<<<< I suppose this is a British radio reporting a gang attacking a person? Did it inspire you to write about the crows? I may be mistaken, but didn't a flock of birds very recently invade London city and cause some sort of havoc? I'm sure I read it but perhaps should do a Google check...LOL.. running.gif

Their ruckus startles -- <<<<<< Why two -- ? OK with me, just never saw that before!

flocking across the sky
black inkblots splatter
blue embossed paper.<<<<<<< Great stanza, love it!

The murder flurries to the lawn: <<<<<< How can a
murder
flurry to the lawn? I must be dim, but seems to me murder needs a qualifier? Or murderers flurry? Dunno...

wings beat,
beaks stab,
piercing shrieks. I wince. <<<<Ouch, so do I!! Nature can be cruel...

I don't grasp the change from an interior scenario in the former stanza, to an event in your garden, described in the next S. Were you writing on blue embossed paper out in your garden? Mmmm...

charges to scatter them. <<<<<
them
means
the murder
? I'm still confused with the tense, because of your use of murder in the other S. Can murder signify a group, or gang, or mob? Sorry, my English must be rusty rolleyes.gif

Surging to poplar arms <<<<<Maybe another word for surging? Do crows surge? LOL...

they chatter in protest.

Silence hangs. <<<< Maybe italics to emphasise the sudden change from chatter?

Roses scent the air;
I hotfoot for my mobile. <<<<<I love this S, especially the last L. thumbsup.gif

An avian ambulance arrives, <<<<<nice alliteration smart.gif

life’s pendulum swings.

Do you really have avian ambulances in Britain? Sounds wonderful, and the whole S is deftly crafted, especially the last L.

kraa-kraa-kraa
ru-hoo ru ru-hoo

I like your onomatopoeias, as well as the contrast between the birds' attitudes.
Here again, we have noise. Thinking it over, maybe I didn't grasp your subtle antropomorphism, as the crows/pigeons behave in a human way, going from noise to silence, then finishing up with a good rowdy argument after the whole event.
I think all this may have been included in former crits, or somesuch comments, but I shall refrain from looking because I don't want to go to bed feeling like a dolt...LOL...
This poem is very much alive, a gruesome view of reality in two worlds. That is, if we really are any different from nature. Reminds me of a book by Llyall Watson called Dark Nature... wow...The good character in your poem is your doggy! snoopy.gif

A very moving piece.

Hugs, Syl***

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Alan
post Apr 24 13, 01:13
Post #3

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 298
Referred By:Lori/Eisa/loads of old friends

Dear Eisa,

My tiny contribution is that a collective of crows IS a "murder" !

Love
Alan

·······IPB·······

Eisa
post Apr 24 13, 16:05
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Psyche @ Apr 24 13, 06:55 ) *
Hi Eisa,
First read for me, so I won't peek in the archives and perhaps get all the answers to my doubts... and then what? LOL...

Hi Syl, I'm so pleased to see you in my thread and look forward to reading your comments.

Crows

A gang’s frenzied attack
in Intensive Care.
<<<<<< I suppose this is a British radio reporting a gang attacking a person? Did it inspire you to write about the crows? I may be mistaken, but didn't a flock of birds very recently invade London city and cause some sort of havoc? I'm sure I read it but perhaps should do a Google check...LOL.. running.gif

I did have this beginning stanza as the last but one stanza at one time and I've even wondered whether I should miss it out (perhaps it complicate the poem?)
It didn't inspire me to write the poem, but was an after thought that humans and birds do have similarities.
Birds creating havoc - makes me think of the Alfred Hitchcock film!

It was actually hearing the ruckus crows and finding the injured pigeon that inspired me to write this.

Their ruckus startles -- <<<<<< Why two -- ? OK with me, just never saw that before!

I always wrote with 2 years ago - don't even know why.

flocking across the sky
black inkblots splatter

murder
flurry to the lawn? I must be dim, but seems to me murder needs a qualifier? Or murderers flurry? Dunno...

I group of crows is known as a murder - just right, I thought.

wings beat,
beaks stab,

I don't grasp the change from an interior scenario in the former stanza, to an event in your garden, described in the next S. Were you writing on blue embossed paper out in your garden? Mmmm...

I missed one important word out in revision. It should read:

flocking across the sky
like black inkblots splattering
blue embossed paper.

I'm comparing the crows to black inkblots splattering blue embossed paper.
I'll go and add the like now.

them
means
the murder
? I'm still confused with the tense, because of your use of murder in the other S. Can murder signify a group, or gang, or mob? Sorry, my English must be rusty rolleyes.gif

You got it, Syl the group/gang!

Surging to poplar arms <<<<<Maybe another word for surging? Do crows surge? LOL...

I remember trying to find another word for fly/wing and found surge in a dictionary.
they chatter in protest.

Good idea - I'll change that.

Roses scent the air;
I hotfoot for my mobile. <<<<<I love this S, especially the last L. thumbsup.gif

life’s pendulum swings.

Do you really have avian ambulances in Britain? Sounds wonderful, and the whole S is deftly crafted, especially the last L.

Various animal rescue groups collect injured creatures in vans. I know a reptile rescue that calls their van the ambulance, so I thought - why not an avian ambulance. LOL!

kraa-kraa-kraa
ru-hoo ru ru-hoo

I like your onomatopoeias, as well as the contrast between the birds' attitudes.
Here again, we have noise. Thinking it over, maybe I didn't grasp your subtle antropomorphism, as the crows/pigeons behave in a human way, going from noise to silence, then finishing up with a good rowdy argument after the whole event.

You've got it Syl! Not so different from human gangs (or so I imagined)

I think all this may have been included in former crits, or somesuch comments, but I shall refrain from looking because I don't want to go to bed feeling like a dolt...LOL...
This poem is very much alive, a gruesome view of reality in two worlds. That is, if we really are any different from nature. Reminds me of a book by Llyall Watson called Dark Nature... wow...The good character in your poem is your doggy! snoopy.gif
Yes, Max saves the day again! LOL!
A very moving piece.

Hugs, Syl***

Thanks Syl - I'll make a few tweaks now
Snow
Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 24 13, 16:06
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Alan @ Apr 24 13, 07:13 ) *
Dear Eisa,

My tiny contribution is that a collective of crows IS a "murder" !

Love
Alan

Thanks Alan - you are quite right!

Love
Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Apr 25 13, 05:26
Post #6

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17

G'day Snow pinkpanther.gif minniemouse.gif

The double meaning stands out.

I also was aware of the collective noun 'murder' which fits into the scene so well. troy.gif

A clever use of words that produces the desired effect for the unfolding drama. rose.gif

A finished product I think.

Good read

Regards,

John troy.gif

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Apr 25 13, 09:47
Post #7

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6

I agree with John, Snow... particularly now that you've added the missing "like".

I'd been here a couple of times but did not leave a comment, specifically because I was confused by that line. It just didn't seem to fit, so I didn't want to seem ignorant. The other question I had was already answered by my second visit, since Alan educated this reader. I'd never heard anyone use 'murder' in reference to crows before, and a couple of dictionaries didn't even mention its use, but I've since found it in others. And I agree that the double impression is perfect in the context of your poem!

deLighting in your writing, Daniel sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

Maureen
post Apr 25 13, 18:04
Post #8

Egyptian

Member No.: 5,178
Referred By:arnfinn

I love it - being very well based in murderous crows behaviour your poem resonated with me. Having stood watch many a day to protect our new born lambs and ewes giving birth I know what those nasty little black b's get up to . Good dog to chase them off. A gangs frenzied attack indeed - thank you for a well written and enjoyable read.

Cheers

Maureen
The Scribbly Bark Poet

·······IPB·······

Eisa
post Apr 27 13, 17:25
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Arnfinn @ Apr 25 13, 11:26 ) *
G'day Snow pinkpanther.gif minniemouse.gif

The double meaning stands out.

I also was aware of the collective noun 'murder' which fits into the scene so well. troy.gif

A clever use of words that produces the desired effect for the unfolding drama. rose.gif

A finished product I think.

Good read

Regards,

John troy.gif

Thanks John - great to see you here. magicwink1.png

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 27 13, 17:30
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (JustDaniel @ Apr 25 13, 15:47 ) *
I agree with John, Snow... particularly now that you've added the missing "like".

I'd been here a couple of times but did not leave a comment, specifically because I was confused by that line. It just didn't seem to fit, so I didn't want to seem ignorant. The other question I had was already answered by my second visit, since Alan educated this reader. I'd never heard anyone use 'murder' in reference to crows before, and a couple of dictionaries didn't even mention its use, but I've since found it in others. And I agree that the double impression is perfect in the context of your poem!

deLighting in your writing, Daniel sun.gif

Hi Daniel

Yes it's surprising how one little word can make such difference to the context.

I wasn't sure about murder and lie you had to search the dictionaries to find this meaning.

So glad this has all come together!

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 27 13, 17:41
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (Maureen @ Apr 26 13, 00:04 ) *
I love it - being very well based in murderous crows behaviour your poem resonated with me. Having stood watch many a day to protect our new born lambs and ewes giving birth I know what those nasty little black b's get up to . Good dog to chase them off. A gangs frenzied attack indeed - thank you for a well written and enjoyable read.

Cheers

Maureen
The Scribbly Bark Poet

Hi Maureen,

Yes, this poem actually happened in my garden and I have another poem somewhere in the archives about a group of crows chasing a crane/heron - again witnessed this from my garden. They are nasty birds. Yes, my dog hates crows and magpies yet he seems to tolerate the smaller birds - sparrows & blue-tits.

Thank you!
Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Apr 28 13, 00:16
Post #12

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Member No.: 78
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:David Ting

QUOTE (Eisa @ Apr 24 13, 23:05 ) *
QUOTE (Psyche @ Apr 24 13, 06:55 ) *
Hi Eisa,

Hi Syl, I'm so pleased to see you in my thread and look forward to reading your comments.

Yep! I'm also pleased to be interacting once again butterfly.gif

Crows

A gang’s frenzied attack
in Intensive Care.

I did have this beginning stanza as the last but one stanza at one time and I've even wondered whether I should miss it out (perhaps it complicate the poem?)
It didn't inspire me to write the poem, but was an after thought that humans and birds do have similarities.
Birds creating havoc - makes me think of the Alfred Hitchcock film!

I've never forgotten that movie! BTW, I read that it's parakeets that have multiplied in London's parks, and that they injure other birds. We also have green parakeets in Buenos Aires' parks. Their screeching is awful at times, but this is a temperate area. Large pigeons also multiply horribly. It used to be fun to feed them in the proper places, such as paved plazas, but now they perch on my balcony. Their droppings are dangerous when they dry and pollute the air, so that one can breathe in bad bacteria. I had to ask my neighbour not to feed them on her balcony. Fortunately, she understood and it's better now.

IMO, if you put the radio bit at the end, it doesn't make the reader think you were inspited by that news. It makes it interesting and original.

It was actually hearing the ruckus crows and finding the injured pigeon that inspired me to write this.

I always wrote with 2 years ago - don't even know why.

flocking across the sky
black inkblots splatter

murder

I group of crows is known as a murder - just right, I
thought.

Murder was not one of the blanks we had to fill in at school, those about herds, flocks, gaggles, etc.! I also had trouble finding that usage in the dictionary. Not in my Oxford nor my Simon & Schuster, but I did find it eventually online by following a link after murder, which took me to flock and finally murder for crows...LOL...Never too late to learn, thanks blush21.gif
Could it be an idiomatic word, such as when an ending "drops off" ? Can't find my dictionary of idioms and idiomatic phrases...aargh!!

wings beat,
beaks stab,

I missed one important word out in revision. It should read:

flocking across the sky
like black inkblots splattering
blue embossed paper. <<<<< OK!!

I'm comparing the crows to black inkblots splattering blue embossed paper.
I'll go and add the like now.

them
means
the murder

You got it, Syl the group/gang!

I keep learning from you. My question now is whether in 'charges to scatter them', one could also say 'scatter it', since murder is the last noun? Just asking, I realise it's a collective noun. unsure.gif

I remember trying to find another word for fly/wing and found surge in a dictionary.
they chatter in protest.

Good idea - I'll change that.

Roses scent the air;

life’s pendulum swings.

Various animal rescue groups collect injured creatures in vans. I know a reptile rescue that calls their van the ambulance, so I thought - why not an avian ambulance. LOL!

Wonderful idea, to call the van an ambulance. Come to think of it, most vets do have vans here, either for emergencies or just taking a pet to be bathed, etc. But we have to pay for that service. Municipal vans are usually for taking strays to be gassed shocked.gif

kraa-kraa-kraa
ru-hoo ru ru-hoo

You've got it Syl! Not so different from human gangs (or so I imagined) [b]Quite so, you're right. Always the goodies and the badies and the so-so's...LOL.

Yes, Max saves the day again! LOL!

Hey, Snow, you're also a good character in the poem! Sorry there upside.gif

A very moving piece.

Hugs, Syl***

[/b]

Thanks Syl - I'll make a few tweaks now
Snow
Snowflake.gif

I love your poem, it's highly original and full of movement. I think it's beautifully polished now. Perhaps, when I have the time, I'll click on the link and see how it developed from way back! Not now... biggrin.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Apr 30 13, 14:19
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hello again Syl,

I am thinking on putting the first stanza at the end - it might work out well.

Also your suggestion on whether in 'charges to scatter them', one could also say 'scatter it' -yes that makes sense - charges to scatter the murder.

Thanks for passing on your thoughts, Syl.

Hugs
Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post May 2 13, 17:39
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I've moved the first stanza to just before the last stanza - where I had it originally.

Snow Snowflake.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:05

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: