> Poems of Chance, an interesting exercise
Cyn
post Jan 17 07, 15:38
Post #1

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 145
Writer of: Poetry

This is an exercise that was given in the poetry course I am taking. I thought I would share it here. And then show you what I did. The exercise goes like this: Find a dictionary and write down your birthdate- for example: 3-15-81 (this is not mine by a long shot !)

So now write down all the in-line permutations of your birthdate. These will lead you to pages in the dictionary. In this example they would be:
3, 15, 81
31, 58, 1
3158 depending on how big your dictionary is

Now write down the first and last word from each of these pages
In this case there would be 20 words.
The assignment is to write a poem from these words using all the words.

To determine the length of your poem you need to add all the numbers of the date. In this case 3+1+5+8+1
So for this example the poem would be 18 lines. I think this is less important than using the words, but should at least give you a length to aim for.

Lori if you want to put this up as a challenge in the challenge section feel free to move it. It would be fun to see what comes out of this.

Here is my example:

Acadia

Acadia, of my ancestors
the land of burdock and lamb’s quarters
solomon’s seal and twisted stalk,
lady’s slipper and slippery elm,
an anarchy of woodland and weeds
It sings of its own accord,

a chord to arouse the heart, a part
of me that longs to the accession
of its thorny throne, an altar of my own
carved from the burl of its wood.
The need to stay, the need to go.
An armistice before I choose

like Adonis, his Aphrodite or his Persephone.
What is the attraction of such places?
The spaces of time ablate the need
to feed on life’s abduction. I sacrifice myself
like Alcestis to Admetus.
like grasses that bend to the breeze

together, laminal, an accessory
to the pull and draw. I saw an island
in the bay, that day an anagram
of itself. Dark before light. Moonrise
to sunset. All of it a montage
in the monopoly of your arms.

List of dictionary words:
Acadia
accession
accessory
accord
abduct
ablate
Admetus
Adonis
altar
anagram
anarchy
armistice
arouse
attraction
burdock
burl
laminal
land
monopoly
montage

·······IPB·······

Cynthia Neely

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 17 07, 17:54
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Wow Cyn. cheer.gif

This looks llike a really fun challenge to try! You've got some wonderful imagery in your response - love The spaces of time ablate the need
to feed on life’s abduction
. arwen.gif I will move this one over to the challenge form, ACROPOLIS and will definitely be back to try this one out myself!

Can a Thesaurus be used as well as a dictionary?

Thanks Cyn for posting this very interesting challenge! Idea.gif
~Lori Pharoah.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cyn
post Jan 17 07, 23:37
Post #3

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 145
Writer of: Poetry

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Jan 17 07, 22:54 ) *
Can a Thesaurus be used as well as a dictionary?

Thanks Cyn for posting this very interesting challenge! Idea.gif
~Lori Pharoah.gif

Instead of maybe, but a thesaurus may have more common words and be easier to use. But either way, I think it could be interesting

·······IPB·······

Cynthia Neely

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jan 18 07, 12:48
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

I was just curious as to how 'stiff' the rules are for this one. I look forward to pulling out my dictionary and giving this a try!

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:45

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: