Only a poet might harken,
reverently,
to transmission of knowledge
celebrated by a flight of doves
or shadows of condors' wings.
Sharing ideas, Atlantic to Pacific,
evolved from memories untold.

Artistry, not rules.
Words strung together like charming seashells.
Tomorrow you unstring the chain,
thread a different pattern.

Winka’s pacts are broken,
no meaning transcends his written word.
Mapudungun, another option:
to deal with matters practical
by exchange of energies,
mind to brother’s mind,
through legends, myths
or gales from the Atlantic.

Western civilization
is Reason frozen in one direction.
Poetical relief escapes the common man.
People squirm over sentiments.

Yet I walk through patches of waste,
oil-splattered,
ask burnt-out skeletons of trees,
ask cracked river beds,
ask bronze limbs quartered by horses,
trophy ears,
I ask them all:
does a poet fill any special need?

I stand with palms upturned to the sky
and know the answer.
To express life as poetry:
key to the great divide
between love of Earth
and plain greed.

Mapudungun: Mapuche unwritten language.
Mapuche: Earth People, original dwellers of Patagonia, Argentina.
Winka: White man, foreigner, often “The Liar”.

By Psyche.

Copyright: Sylvia Maclagan, Buenos Aires, Argentina, July 2006.

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

"There is no life higher than the grasstops
Or the hearts of sheep, and the wind
Pours by like destiny, bending
Everything in one direction."

Sylvia Plath, Crossing the Water, Wuthering Heights.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cybele
post Jul 15 06, 02:50
Post #2

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Hi Sylvia, cloud9.gif

Like all your poetry about the Mapuche, this is as poignant and heartfelt as ever.

Its phrasing and cadences kept striking a chord of recognition in my brain, and I have finally realised what it is.Idea.gif

I get the same feelings and emotions from reading stories and poetry about North American Indians, a sort or awed reverence for nature and for the spirits of ancestors who lived, worked and suffered hardships on their sacred lands.

Wonderful. dove.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jul 16 06, 07:36
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Referred By:Imhotep

Thank you for your entry into Odin's Opposition! troy.gif

Perhaps you’ll rise up, drink from the Well of Wisdom and be crowned the ‘bringer of victory’? cali.gif

Best of luck in the battle! vic.gif

~Mosaic Musings Staff knight.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 19 06, 09:27
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Congratulations Sylvia on your Bronze placement! dance.gif

You have risen up, drank from the Well of Wisdom and have been crowned the ‘bringer of victory’! rose.gif champagne.gif

Well done!
pharoah2.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Aug 19 06, 10:52
Post #5

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 78
Referred By:David Ting

Ooooooh, Cleo, what a lovely surprise for a Saturday morning !!
Deeeeeeelighted, as Daniel would say. sun.gif

I'm so surprised !!! I've read most of the other entries and consider them all of a very high quality. Will read some more in a minute. cloud9.gif

My heartfelt congratulations to Grace and Daniel !!!!

Hugs,
Sylvia lovie.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

The Lord replied, my precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Aug 19 06, 10:59
Post #6

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cybele @ Jul 15 06, 09:50 ) *
Hi Sylvia, cloud9.gif

Like all your poetry about the Mapuche, this is as poignant and heartfelt as ever.

Its phrasing and cadences kept striking a chord of recognition in my brain, and I have finally realised what it is.Idea.gif

I get the same feelings and emotions from reading stories and poetry about North American Indians, a sort or awed reverence for nature and for the spirits of ancestors who lived, worked and suffered hardships on their sacred lands.

Wonderful. dove.gif

Hi Grace ! sun.gif

I'm so glad you like one more of my Patagonian collection, because I'm really working on "perfecting" them and getting them published. I'm also working hard on Spanish versions, and already seven will appear in a 2006 Anthology in Buenos Aires !!! This sort of thing lifts my heart... cloud9.gif Probably because I'm a Patagonian child still, deep down... butterfly.gif

Thank you, Grace dear, and my delighted congratulations on Midsummer Night Dream !! It especially pleases me, since I believe I was the first to spot it in the forums, and I realised at once that it deserved a Faery Award !!!! pharoah2.gif

Hugs,
Sylvia butterfly.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Cybele
post Aug 19 06, 11:13
Post #7

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22

Hi Sylvia my friend,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I will toast you in virtual champagne for the moment. This evening I might stretch to something a little more tangible!

Way to go Sylv! dance.gif cheer.gif lovie.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Aug 19 06, 11:16
Post #8

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hey Sylvia.

Your talent really shines! sun.gif

From all your previous 'Top 3 placement' Odin wins, you are now at 95% off.

WOW! dance.gif dance.gif dance.gif

B) wolf.gif wizard2.gif thumbsup.gif opera.gif

~Cleo princess.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Aug 19 06, 12:43
Post #9

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Aug 19 06, 18:16 ) *
Hey Sylvia.

Your talent really shines! sun.gif

From all your previous 'Top 3 placement' Odin wins, you are now at 95% off.

WOW! dance.gif dance.gif dance.gif

B) wolf.gif wizard2.gif thumbsup.gif opera.gif

~Cleo princess.gif

Dear Cleo: sun.gif

That's really good news, about the 95% off... cheer.gif I've already explained to you about the very unfavourable exchange rate to the dollar we have in Argentina, so this is a windfall as well as good for the poor old battered ego...haha... blush.gif

So this coming week I'll try to select the publishable poems and get in touch with you, thanks a lot!!

Hugs, Sylvia ballet.gif butterfly.gif wizard2.gif sun.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post Aug 19 06, 14:24
Post #10

rose.gif Congratulations Sylvia!! rose.gif

Psyche
post Aug 21 06, 09:57
Post #11

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Thank you, Cathy !!! butterfly.gif

It's fun to participate in Odin. cheer.gif

Hugs, Sylvia lovie.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

Psyche
post Aug 21 06, 10:18
Post #12

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cybele @ Aug 19 06, 18:13 ) *
Hi Sylvia my friend,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I will toast you in virtual champagne for the moment. This evening I might stretch to something a little more tangible!

Way to go Sylv! dance.gif cheer.gif lovie.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif

Thank you again, dear Grace !! I hope you had that champagne, especially as you had plenty to celebrate of your own, Great Grandma !!! lovie.gif

Hugs, Sylvia butterfly.gif

·······IPB·······

Mis temas favoritos

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 13:48

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: