of that internal clock, somehow he catches
on  this final hour the bells and whistles
wake the neighborhood inside his body
to the fact there’s something to his gaudy
blotches scattered ‘round, and thorns and thistles
hidden in the background of his portraits,
intricate in detail, living, breathing
on the canvas.  See the border seething
sometimes unexplained with many more traits.

Hard to figure how they’re in the drawing.
Could it be there’s something inside gnawing?

© Daniel J Ricketts 24 April 2002

Original first quatrain:
An artist can be drawn into his sketches
almost unaware he’s painting self –
not someone else – till on the twelfth
spot on the clock, somehow he catches

·······IPB·······

Slow down; things will go faster!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Athena
post Nov 26 03, 03:27
Post #2

Egyptian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 8
Writer of: Poetry

Hi Daniel,    :wave:

I love this sonnet and I do believe it's new to me.  Happy to see you've found a forum for some of your more sophisticated writings.     smart.gif

Blessings,
Dolly    :pharoah:

JustDaniel
post Nov 26 03, 08:45
Post #3

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 6
Referred By:Lori

QUOTE (Athena @ Nov. 26 2003, 02:27)
Hi Daniel,    wave.gif

I love this sonnet and I do believe it's new to me.  Happy to see you've found a forum for some of your more sophisticated writings.     smart.gif

Blessings,
Dolly    Pharoah.gif

Thank you, Dolly.

This was my only offering in this forum in a couple of months because of my time constraint... and it only took 8 days to be noticed. Just how sophisticated could it be ???

sLightly shy o' sophisticated, Daniel  :cool:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 30 03, 08:22
Post #4

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Wow Daniel!

This is a wonderful sonnet!  :snowflake:

Thanks for sharing this fine piece!

Cleo  :sings:  :operagal:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Siren
post Dec 1 03, 18:09
Post #5

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 13

Daniel

Sometimes we do not see the true lines and colors within us.. and sometimes situations reveal to us an unknown/unrealized aspect of who we truly are...

A painting well aligned...

Daniah :)

·······IPB·······

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Dec 5 03, 04:10
Post #6

Hi Daniel,

What's eight days? Think how long it's taken the Great Masters - decades!

This was topping. I don't paint but I do try to write (of course). So for me this was a brilliant evocation of how characters emerge and grow and even how plots develop as I write.

My blank canvas is my PC monitor. I type and edit to some degree "on the hoof"; also editing later. As I do all this, if I'm lucky, the characters do, indeed, start to breathe - they gain a life of their own. This has restrictions - I can do less with them; they want to go in their own directions. However, the big advantage is the organic nature they then take-on. It's a good job: I could never imagine nor write all that they become they have to do a lot of it for themselves.

"Inside gnawing" sounds as if we only project pain through art. I actually feel that we project a myriad of emotions and thoughts. However, that is a slight difference in our thoughts: it does nothing to diminish my admiration for your excellent poem.

For me, you really touched an aspect of art with which I most certainly can identify. Most enjoyable, thank you.

James.

JustDaniel
post Jan 1 04, 23:26
Post #7

Ornate Oracle

QUOTE (Cleo_Serapis @ Nov. 30 2003, 07:22)
Wow Daniel!

This is a wonderful sonnet!  Snowflake.gif

Thanks for sharing this fine piece!

Cleo  sings.gif  :operagal:

Thanks, LorII!

Something has been bothering me for some time about this piece... and I just modified the first quatrain.

Thanks for sharing your WOW!
wowed deLightfully [ blush21.gif and very slowly! blush21.gif ], Daniel  sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jan 1 04, 23:32
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

QUOTE (Siren @ Dec. 01 2003, 17:09)
Daniel

Sometimes we do not see the true lines and colors within us.. and sometimes situations reveal to us an unknown/unrealized aspect of who we truly are...

[ Profoundly stated indeed, Daniah. Thank you so much for your very thoughtful visit. Forgive me for taking so long to get back here. ]

A painting well aligned...

[ hmmm... attempting to eye up your alignment... ]

Daniah :)
appreciating your Light, Daniel  sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

JustDaniel
post Jan 1 04, 23:49
Post #9

Ornate Oracle

QUOTE (Jox @ Dec. 05 2003, 03:10)
Hi Daniel,

What's eight days? Think how long it's taken the Great Masters - decades!

[ You're right, of course... and in the past few days -- since I've gone back to work a month and a half early -- I'm appreciating just how long it takes for a thing to settle in and make adjustments.  My body is taking a LONG time to adjust to this new knee, and I'm VERY tired between visits here.  Things are going to drag out a bit for me for a while, I fear. ]

This was topping. I don't paint but I do try to write (of course). So for me this was a brilliant evocation of how characters emerge and grow and even how plots develop as I write.

[ Thank you so much for that assessment! This piece really jumped out at me, honestly, and surprised me.  I was attending a 6-hour training seminar for work with a social worker / researcher / author, during which I wrote 4 sonnets summarizing parts of her lecture.  This grew out of her discussion of her interest as an artist.  It quite surprised me, not only for the subject matter, but for the off-beat meter pattern because of the enjambement... which had affected my perception of the first quatrain's L's 3 & 4.  I've modified them today. ]

My blank canvas is my PC monitor. I type and edit to some degree "on the hoof"; also editing later. As I do all this, if I'm lucky, the characters do, indeed, start to breathe - they gain a life of their own. This has restrictions - I can do less with them; they want to go in their own directions. However, the big advantage is the organic nature they then take-on. It's a good job: I could never imagine nor write all that they become they have to do a lot of it for themselves.

[ I understand precisely what you are saying.  Thank you. ]

"Inside gnawing" sounds as if we only project pain through art. I actually feel that we project a myriad of emotions and thoughts. However, that is a slight difference in our thoughts: it does nothing to diminish my admiration for your excellent poem.

[ Yes, I agree with you.  Just in this particular vantage point -- and with many of the people I find myself dealing with professionally -- there really is something there inside gnawing. You're right that other emotions can be stirring there in quite different ways.

And thank you very much for the compliment!  There is something about this poem that is inexplicably satisfying to me... in an uncomfortable sort of way that I cannot put my finger on.]

For me, you really touched an aspect of art with which I most certainly can identify. Most enjoyable, thank you.

James.
Thank you so much, James.  I'm deeply touched by your words.  Please forgive my taking so uncomfortably long to respond to them.

sLightly tired now, Daniel  sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:52

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: