my passion to each I would proclaim.

Now and then, I'd protect, defend
these misses in a world without end.
Yet wistful longings daunted me...
fantasies sent me on a wanton spree.

Alas, one maiden, quite capricious,
I found to be deceptively delicious;
insatiable cravings, morning and night
fulfilled my desire for playful delight.

In a golden notebook of leading ladies
she's at the top, my gleaming Mercedes.
Fires burnt out quickly, I became lost,
her token kiss akin to a lick of frost.

Her soul became cold to the core,
a detachment I couldn’t ignore;
my longing for tender understanding
was rejected as being too demanding.

Gone, baby, gone my romantic dreams,
this lustful soul no longer beams;
I stand on a bridge, wavering, high,
ready to bid life a final good-bye.

GONE

I sought an escape from loneliness,
imaging to be a lover with prowess;
every tempting woman was fair game,
to each, my passion I would proclaim.

Now and then, I’d protect and defend
these missies in my world without end,
but wistful longings always daunted me,
as I savored scotch in glasses of three.

Alas, only one maiden, a bit capricious,
I discovered to be deceptively delicious;
basic black her style, morning and night;
she was my fives wishes of playful delight.

In my golden notebook of leading ladies
she’s at the top, my gleaming Mercedes.
a kiss from her was like a lick of frost.

Gone, baby, gone are my romantic dreams,
my lustful soul no longer proudly beams;
I stand on a bridge beyond, wavering high,
ready to bid my empty life a final good-bye.

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Alan
post Nov 2 07, 06:14
Post #2

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 298
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Lori/Eisa/loads of old friends

Dear John,

I’m pleased that you have rejigged this to lessen the “challenge poem” feel of it, so I’m going to be very bold and change it even more, with various suggestions, to either tighten it, or to improve, in my opinion, the ba-dums.

Have a look at the offerings below, changes in caps, though some punct changes are not shown.

Adopt, adapt, or chuck !

Love
Alan

GONE

I sought escape from loneliness,
to be a lover with prowess.
EVERY temptRESS was fair game,
my passion to each I would proclaim.

Now and then I’d protect, defend
these misses in A world without end,
but wistful longings AYE daunted me,
as I savored scotch in glass OR three.

Alas, ONE maiden, QUITE capricious,
I FOUND to be SO MOST delicious;
basic black her style, morning NOON and night;
she’s my five wishes of playful delight.

In golden notebook of leading ladies
she’s the topS, my BRIGHT Mercedes.
Burnt out TOO FAST, I became lost,
HER kiss AKIN TO a lick of frost.

Gone, baby, gone, my romantic dreams,
THIS lustful soul no longer beams;
I stand on a bridge, wavering, high,
ready to bid life a final good-bye.

·······IPB·······

JLY
post Nov 2 07, 06:29
Post #3

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Referred By:Larry Carr

Alan,
Thanks so much. You have given this some fine tuning which on the surface appears to greatly improve this rustic piece. Challenge poems are sometimes hard to convert over into a polished gem, but your input gives me a great start.
JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

MM Award Winner

Alan
post Nov 2 07, 06:42
Post #4

Laureate Legionnaire

Member No.: 298
Referred By:Lori/Eisa/loads of old friends

Dear John,

I'm so glad you take this well - I always hesitate to dash into the middle of another's create, but sometimes it has to be done.

Enjoy the revising, I'll look forward to the end result.

Love
Alan

·······IPB·······

JLY
post Nov 2 07, 08:17
Post #5

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Alan,
You can jump in my poetic pool at anytime...if I didn't want comments, then I wouldn't post anything. Since I am making my postings public, I am asking for anyone to provide me with some lucid guidance to make my ideas more coherent.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Nov 2 07, 19:20
Post #6

Ornate Oracle

Member No.: 10
Referred By:Lori Kanter

Hi John,

I felt the emotional tug on this, the temptation and the pulling toward tasting the candy - I've printed this out and must say, I haven't had much to jump out at me calling to be changed. But I can see some excellent lines and fresh end rhymes -

I'll return in a bit with a real critique, but didn't want to leave without saying I was here, and printed it out and will return with some thoughts...

Hugs, Liz

GREAT OFFERING!

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Nov 4 07, 17:41
Post #7

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Liz,
Thank you. Your thoughts are always welcome.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Nov 4 07, 18:11
Post #8

Ornate Oracle

Hi John,

I've returned. I took some time to look deep between the lines on this one as I keep getting a feeling that there is some layered messages here. First I wanted to commend the title. It is short, almost jab like and gives the sense of in an instant... which in a way, the poem alludes to as well -

In Stanza 1, the first few lines gives a very intense sense of sadness - I felt the words created a empathetic union between the poet and the reader, and perhaps some minor smoothing out of bumpiness (and reconsidering choice words) might emphasize this union.

Please take what helps and discard the rest...

Big Hugs and thoughts for you, Liz

GONE

I sought an escape from loneliness,
imaging to be a lover with prowess;
every tempting woman was fair game,
to each, my passion I would proclaim.

I like how L1 immediately takes the reader into a active part of emotional turmoil ... I would suggest omitting 'an' before escape... I sought escape from loneliness,'
In l2, I was wondering if you meant 'imagining' perhaps 'portraying the lover with prowess'
L3, to smooth out the glitch in the beginning line (I keep wanting to say 'and ev'ry tempting woman was fair game, )

Now and then, I’d protect and defend
these missies in my world without end,
but wistful longings always daunted me,
as I savored scotch in glasses of three.

Perhaps favored scotch. I was wondering if moving up but from L3 to L1, then putting a full stop at end of L2 and beginning L3 with ... Yet, wistful longings always daunted me, as I now favored scotch in glasses of three -

Alas, only one maiden, a bit capricious,
I discovered to be deceptively delicious;
basic black her style, morning and night;
she was my fives wishes of playful delight.

Some thoughts to consider to smooth out this 3rd stanza as well.

L1, I would omit 'only' before one ...
I found to be deceptively delicious;
as basic black, her style... morning and night,
became my fives wishes of playful delight.

In my golden notebook of leading ladies
she’s at the top, my gleaming Mercedes.
a kiss from her was like a lick of frost.

L3, perhaps but fires burnt out quickly ...

Gone, baby, gone are my romantic dreams,
my lustful soul no longer proudly beams;
I stand on a bridge beyond, wavering high,
ready to bid my empty life a final good-bye.

The ending stanza is musical to my ear, sort of like a chant, a calling to her to return, for love or that time and place to return...

I enjoyed this ... very much ...

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Nov 4 07, 19:28
Post #9

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Liz,
Thank you for offering very constructive comments. I am going to digest your recommendations and will be making some changes in the next few days.
You have provided me with some great ideas.

I am glad you liked the title...I wasn't sure about it at first, but I think it captures the main theme of this poem.

JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

AMETHYST
post Nov 4 07, 19:43
Post #10

Ornate Oracle

Yes John

The title certainly does. I felt it quietly leads the reader into the pulp of the poem ... I will keep an eye on this and thank you for sharing.

Hugs, Liz

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 13 07, 21:27
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi John,

What an interesting poem - was this from a times ten?

I have a few ideas for some rhythm smoothing, but will reuwire some word swapping - would that be OK with you? I'll be back again tomorrow night.

TTYL
~Cleo

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Nov 13 07, 21:43
Post #12

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Lori,
This was a response to a Book Title Challenge. Feel free to jump in and twist some words around.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 13 07, 21:51
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

OK - my first impressions on S1 & 2 for you to ponder over are:

I sought escape from loneliness,
to be a lover with prowess;
every temptress was fair game,
my passion to each them I would proclaim.

Now and then again, I'd protect{,} [and] defend
these misses in a world without end{.} [;]
Yet wistful longings[, they] daunted me...
fantasies sent me dominated on a wanton spree.

BBL!

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

JLY
post Nov 14 07, 06:30
Post #14

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Lori,
Thanks for your thoughts....since I am a morning person, and my mind is clear, your suggestions make sense to me.
JLY

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Don_*
post Nov 14 07, 11:04
Post #15

Speaking on your revision #1, very well done.

Don

JLY
post Nov 14 07, 12:33
Post #16

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Don,
Thank you; I received excellent assistance from the members here at MM.
JLY[color="#0000FF"][/color]

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th June 2024 - 18:14

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: