Siren
post May 28 05, 19:20
Post #1

Laureate Legionnaire

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 13
Writer of: Poetry

Hi All,

I want to share my thoughts on the movie I watched a few days ago. I'm sure you've heard about it in the news and maybe someone else has seen it.

"Kingdom Of Heaven" leading role "Orlando Bloom" and showcasing the talent of an egyptian actor "Khaled Al-Nabawi" and a syrian actor "Ghassan Massoud" who took on the role of "Salah El-Dean Al-Ayoubi"

That movie was fair in its depiction of one of Islam's heros Salah El-Dean. He was a fair man and believed that Jerusalem was for all religions, but only that it should be under Arab rule.

He avoided bloodshed when possible and preferred peace to war.

I enjoyed the movie immensely.

Dani

·······IPB·······

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post May 29 05, 09:22
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hi Dani! sun.gif

Yes, we saw that movie last weekend and I enjoyed it too.

I did think Orlando's character, Balian, could have been portrayed a bit more forcefully, but he did a fine job with the role as it is.

I have not read of the Christian-Muslim tensions in 12th-century Jerusalem, so this was a movie that now urges me to research it. After having just read something about the Knights Templar, this movie has spurred me on to read more at least!  :knight:  :knight:

As one reviewer wrote: "Muslim leader (Ghassan Massoud as Saladin) is enough of a principled guy to nearly steal the picture." I found that to be true as well. I hope to see of more of him! He did the finest porformance IMHO.

I was also pleased to see the actor (Alexander Siddig) who played Dr. Bashir on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in a delicate but important role here as well.  Was he Saladin's brother? I was a tad confused in the storyline....

I wouldn't say it's an epic like Gladiator as the story line got a tad wishy washy in parts, but it was a good movie to see...

HUGS
Lori  :pharoah:

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Siren
post May 29 05, 16:27
Post #3

Laureate Legionnaire

Hello Lori,

I am so glad you liked the movie too. I do agree with you in that the movie isn't an epic as "Gladiator" I do not think such a movie exists, yet. :)

Orlando Bloom did play the role brilliantly, but I do agree that Ghassan Massoud's character (inspite of its minimal appearances) almost stole the picture. He is an amazing Syrian actor and is one of my country's most famed actors.

Alexander Siddig is equally amazing... I did enjoy his appearance and his role was the leader of one of the arab tirbes at the time. I too haven't read much about that era, but I have seen an arabic movie portraying Saladin's incredible character. I have also read about him in the kids' history books.

Please share with us what you find when you can.

hugs
Dani

·······IPB·······

"A good book is not read and forgotten. It lingers in the mind of the reader, reshaping thoughts, asking new questions, revisiting ancient ones."

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post May 29 05, 16:32
Post #4

Hi Dani,

I'm only really replying to acknowledge reading your posting.

I see very few films (I'm not a film fan, I'm afraid) and this is one of the 99.99999% I've missed; sorry. (Not actually heard of it, either - but, again, I've heard of so few).

But, thanks again!

All the best,

J.

Siren
post May 30 05, 08:22
Post #5

Laureate Legionnaire

Hello there James,

I'm glad you responded inspite of you not being into movies. This movie was great to watch because of the historical aspect of it. I was curious on seeing how that era would be portrayed.

I love watching movies as much as I love to read. When I read I can see the written scenes take life in my mind and feel the emotions, too.  Anyway, I do hope you watch the movie if only to get some faint insight on the character of one of Islam's heros.

Thanks for commenting again.

Hugs
Dani

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post May 30 05, 11:00
Post #6

Dear Dani,

I haven't seen this yet, but I will look out for it. It's hard to get out to the cinema (unless I'm taking the kids) so I shall have to wait till it arrives at the video library.

Thanks for pointing it our to us.

love

Fran

Siren
post May 30 05, 17:13
Post #7

Laureate Legionnaire

Dear Fran,

I do hope u see it. It is a good movie, though not as good as Gladiator.

One movie I'd also love for you to buy is called "The Message" leading role Anthony Quin and directed by a syrian director called Mustapha Akkad. It is an old movie that depicts the start of Islam. I am sure u can find it in vedio stores...

U can have clearer view of the start of our religion.

I have found a link u can check on the movie:

http://www.netflix.com/MovieDi....0177681

Hugs
Dani

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post May 30 05, 17:48
Post #8

Hi Dani,

Thanks for your reply.

>D>I love watching movies as much as I love to read. When I read I can see the written scenes take life in my mind and feel the emotions, too.

I also see pictures when I read (usually, anyway). The old saying that "radio has better pictures than tv, I think applies to reading / films, too. There are a number of films I have enjoyed - but I generally enjoy highly populist films if I do watch them.

>D>Anyway, I do hope you watch the movie if only to get some faint insight on the character of one of Islam's heros.

Thank you. That is interesting phrasing. I'm not sure Christianity has heroes. As I understand it, Islam has several prophets - of which Mohamed is the most important but Jesus Christ is another (unlike in Christianity, where he is their saviour). How can a religion have heroes? Is this chap another prophet?

I'm not asking deep questions here - I could Google and find out more but, to be honest, religion isn't my thing - I really was asking why this chap is important to you, I suppose. That is more interesting to me.

Thanks Dani,

All the best, J.

PS Dani - I did Google and this came up:

"Your search - "Salah El-Dean Al-Ayoubi" - did not match any documents"

Is this, by any chance, the chap we might call "Saladin"?

Siren
post May 31 05, 04:31
Post #9

Laureate Legionnaire

Dear James,

It is Saladdin... I wrote his name down the same way it is pronounced in arabic, Sorry.  :(

I do believe in all the prophets sent to the world by God.

To me, heros of Islam r those who were able to spread the religion the way prophet Mohammad did. He believed that religion is taken in by one's own willingness to believe in one God and HIS teachings and not enforced. His mission was to spread God's word and not force others to believe him.

Saladdin was special because he encouraged peace between Muslims, Jews and Christians. Jerusalem did belong to the arabs but it also belonged to all religions. His mantra : Our Country is for all and faith is to God.

Saladdin's right hand man was christian. He also offered his physicians to the king of the Crusades and helped in healing Richard The Lion Heart when he got wounded. So u see he was truly a peaceful man.

I believe in respecting all cultures and religions and believe that the world could benefit from an openness to all worlds and we could each learn from each other. What one person lacks the other can fill. Does that make sense?

I'm sorry for rambling on. Hope my reasons for seeing Saladdin as my hero are clear.

Hugs
Dani

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post May 31 05, 06:02
Post #10

Hi Dani - no problems about the spelling, now I understand that is interesting too, thanks.

Thanks, also for your interesting answer.

The problem with the general perception of Islam in the "West" is the new association with terrorism that was made by extremists - people who many Muslims would decry because, as you say - and, as I understood it, Islam is a peaceful religion per se. (In fact, one could easily argue that Islam is more peaceful than Christianity). But people are not peaceful so religions are subverted for various causes.

Richard The Lion Heart (King Richard Ist of England) was a Crusader (Lori mentioned the Knights Templar). The Crusaders were a vicious group of Christians who went to conquer the Holy Lands and expel the Muslims. It really is about time, after 2,000 years, that  Christianity and Islam co-operated better.

What you say makes perfect sense, Dani. But, alas, there are always people willing - and able - to use any power base for evil. As has been said so often, for evil to flourish, it is enough that good people do nothing. The other point is what is evil? Many say Saddam's reign in Iraq was evil and others (or the same people) say that the USA / UK / Australian invasion of Iraq was also evil. Problem, I suspect, is that evil, like good, is many-shaded.

Pity Saladin isn't around today - we need prophets like him.

Your reasons are crystal clear - and you most certainly did not "ramble on," I promise.

Thanks Dani - most interesting.

J.

Siren
post May 31 05, 09:04
Post #11

Laureate Legionnaire

James,

Thank you for being interested in my thoughts and belief. Saladdin wasn't a prophet, but he was a great muslim leader with the right views and beliefs. Maybe if he were alive now he would have had a better impact on our world and we would have been able to live more peacefully.  

Hugs
Dani

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 15:56

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: