Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

IPB

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Charlie & Pegs, Odin III ~ Bronze
Guest_Cathy_*
post Apr 18 06, 07:30
Post #1

Charlie & Pegs

He'd made it back after three long years.  So much time wasted!  His grandson was all grown up, but here he was spending time with him and Pegs ... just as though nothing had changed.

"I've seen sa many differ'nt kinds o' travellin' in my day that I'm ain't sure I cin 'member 'em all.  Let's see: car, truck, bus, plane, train, boat, (deep breath) motorcycle, bicycle, unicycle ...eh?  Ok, ok, so I'm gittin' carried away with the "cycles."  Hmmm, horse and buggy, hel'copter, even a flyin' car now I hear ... Eh?  What's that ya say?  Spaceship!  Now hang on ta real'ty, ok son?  Me?  I use Pegs ... that's short for Pegasus ya know.  What?  Never seen one?  Well my boy, ya don't know what you're missin'.  Come on out back and I'll show ya.  She's right out here in the backyard a-grazin'.  Don't have to buy petrol that way, teehee, she makes 'er own!  Take a look-see ... straight 404 under her hood, travels like an arrow she does.  Git 'er up to speed and her rear-end will sway just a tad, but ya just steer her a bit tighter and she grips the winds.  Wouldn't travel any other way, no sir-ee!  Been travelin' with the winds in my face for nigh onto sixty years!  Gotta watch them head-winds though.  They're the ones likes ta throw things at ya, ya git ta where you're going pickin' the bugs outta yere teeth!  Used to love doing fly-bys, like them milit'ry planes do.  Git in close as ya can and swoop in ta surprise some hapless soul.  HEHEHE  I've seen 'em wet their pants I have!  What a rush!  Can't do it much anymore, too exhileratin' for an ol' cuss like me, don't ya know?  Just look at 'er!  Ain't she a beaut?  Check out 'er wingspan.  Ever seen the like?  She can do eighty in two seconds flat.  No need for shocks on this baby, she'll soar right over any turbulence.  And I git miles and miles outta just one bucket o' water!  Can't beat that now can ya?  Yeppers, this is the way ta travel son.  She'll take ya right up ta touch the stars she will ... and beyond if'n ya wanna go."  

The old man didn't realize it but he had sparked something inside of me that had lain dormant since childhood. Hopes, imagination, and dreams colored his aged face and began to blossom inside my heart.  

A car pulled into the drive just then and a touch of sadness dulled Charlie's eyes for a moment.  He reached around to stroke the sway-backed ol' horse standing at the gate, turning back to me with a tear in his eye.

"All ya gotta do is believe son, just believe." he pleaded.

He patted me on the back affectionately, pulled me into an embrace, then walked towards the waiting car.

"Charlie, we've told you before, you just can't go wandering off from the home like this.  I'll have to admit though, you make it easy for us to find you. You always come to the same place."

Charlie smiled!  In that moment something inside of me burst free of all restraint.

"Hey Charlie!"  I called.

"Yeah son?" he said resignedly.

"Would it be ok if I took care of Pegs 'til I see you again?"

He beamed from ear to ear!  "Sure would appreciate that son."

Charlie motioned for me to turn around and when I did I was shocked outta my shoes!  The ol' sway-back nag was gone and in her place stood a magnificent white steed, wingspan that must have extended fifteen feet on either side, bobbing his head as though agreeing with ol' Charlie.  I looked back to say something to him but the car was gone.

All ya gotta do is believe son, just believe!  echoed on the wind.

Cathy Bollhoefer~

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Apr 21 06, 05:39
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Thank you for your entry into Odin's Opposition!  :troy:

Perhaps you’ll rise up, drink from the Well of Wisdom and be crowned the ‘bringer of victory’?

Best of luck in the battle!  :vic:

~Mosaic Musings Staff knight.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post May 20 06, 08:46
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Congratulations on your Bronze placement! dance.gif

You have risen up, drank from the Well of Wisdom and have been crowned the ‘bringer of victory’! rose.gif champagne.gif

Well done!
pharoah2.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post May 20 06, 09:03
Post #4

Hi Cathy,

Congratulations on your top-three placement in odin's - well done! :)

J.

Guest_Cathy_*
post May 20 06, 10:01
Post #5

Thank you Lori and James! dance.gif

Cathy

Guest_Nina_*
post May 20 06, 11:51
Post #6

Hi Cathy

Congratulations on your bronze placement. I very much enjoyed this story and the special relationship between the old man and his grandson.

Nina

Morgan le Fay
post May 20 06, 14:46
Post #7

Assyrian

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 20
Writer of: Poetry

Hi Cathy!

Big Congratties on your Bronze and Merit placements!!! champagne.gif mm.gif note.gif sings.gif rose.gif

I'm on my way out the door right now, but I'll be back later to comment and give some well deserverd Kudos. {{Hugs}}

Chris wizard2.gif

·······IPB·······

"...Morgan le Fay was not married, but put to school in a nunnery, where she became a great mistress of magic."

- ?Mallory, Morte d'Arthur

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post May 20 06, 15:15
Post #8

Thank you Nina and Chris! cheer.gif sings.gif

JLY
post May 23 06, 06:00
Post #9

Ornate Oracle
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 39
Writer of: Poetry
Referred By:Larry Carr

Cathy,
Congratulations. Your story telling ability is on a par with your exquisite poetic creations.
JLY

·······IPB·······

Give thanks for your new friends of today, but never forget the warm hugs of your yesterdays.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Cathy_*
post May 25 06, 07:34
Post #10

No, no, no! LOL My story-telling definately needs help but thanks for the compliment kind sir!

Cathy

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:03

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: