to hear the male-voice choir sing
my homeland anthem’s rousing tide
of harmonies; I glowed with pride.
A year has passed; their timbre wrings
emotions still. This ancestry  
my father has bestowed on me.

wink.gif"|1120575328 -->

·······IPB·······

Live one day at a time -it's simpler that way.
Laugh loud & often - it's medicinal.
Write from the heart - it's therapeutic.
Beauty comes from within - the outer is just skin!

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Guest_Nina_*
post Jun 2 05, 01:34
Post #2

Hi Eisa

A beautiful, poignant poem of loss, mingled with pride in your Welsh heritage, the legacy that your father has left you.  So much said in few words.  Very powerful.

Nina

Guest__*
post Jun 2 05, 02:10
Post #3

Dear Eisa,

This is indeed very beautiful, and well written too !

Welsh is one of the few bloods as far asI know I don't have, but those choirs get to me too !

Just wait til half of Jox sees this one ....

Love
Alan

Cybele
post Jun 2 05, 02:30
Post #4

Ornate Oracle

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 22
Writer of: Poetry & Prose

Good morning Eisa, sun.gif

Lovely to see you here again. I have missed you!

Oh! How touchingly beautiful this is. Those male voice choirs are incredible aren't they? I think they could stir the coldest heart.

The is perfect as it is my friend.  

As Alan says, prepare for a l o n g read when James arrives. Make sure you are sitting comfortably before he begins! LOL.gif

·······IPB·······

Love

Grace

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/graceingreece

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Nominate a tile for the Crown Jewels and Faery Awards today! For details, go to the Valley of the Kings!

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jun 2 05, 03:38
Post #5

Eisa,

I have to be out of the house in one minute.

But I had to say how wonderful this is - and what celebration amongst the commiserations. Land of our Fathers, indeed.

It is also great to see you here again.

Keep a welcome in the hillside, please - I'll be back.

James.

PS Seems Alan and Grace know me!

jgdittier
post Jun 2 05, 07:00
Post #6

Creative Chieftain

Group: Platinum Member
Member No.: 58
Writer of: Poetry

Dear Eisa,
Your poem, "Welsh National Anthem", whetted my interest, both due to its form and its message.
Its flow and its rhyme scheme join to allow the reader to focus on the message and in my case to share some Welsh pride.
I'm 72, often told when young of my welsh blood but don't remember from whom and how much.
I had never heard the Welsh National Anthem until possibly a few minutes ago. However, I'm not sure it was the anthem.
A very fetching instrumental piece is played at

http://www.geocities.com/ystradband.anne.html

Would you know how to hear the all-male chorus you mention?
Was the instrumental piece the Welsh National Anthem?

Dear Eisa, any explanations as to Anne Robinson, leeks, other topics Welsh would be appreciated as is your poem.
Cheers,    jgd    Ron

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Jun 2 05, 07:05
Post #7

Hi Eisa, Ron

Ron - not a wise move mentioning Anne Robinson and the Welsh in the same sentence (especially with James around  :grinning: )

Nina

jgdittier
post Jun 2 05, 08:46
Post #8

Creative Chieftain

Dear All,
Up to two hours ago I had never heard of Anne Robinson. Please forgive my innocence or naivety.
My web search yielded many Anne Robinsons, one of which is proclaimed to sing the anthem but does so only as in the "funny papars".
Cheers,     jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jun 2 05, 09:24
Post #9

Welsh National Anthem

Bore da, Eisa,

As I said, earlier - great to see you here - and with a great poem...

I’m not au fait with the poetic form you’ve used - so I’ll try not to trample on its toes. (Nor your’s!)

I think that the link between your Father’s funeral and your longer ancestry is stunning. Nina perfectly expressed what I would wish to say.

Music often has the power to tug at our emotional harp-strings - Wales’ famous male-voice choirs more than most. I’m not very good at singing our National Anthem - but I croak my best along to the perfect tones of the male voice choirs when tv shows Wales’ rugby matches.

In particular, I love the “line:”  their timbre wrings emotions still.

As this is a form poem I don’t think I have any suggestions per se. But I am enjoying this.

Grace suggested I’d write a lot. I would but I don’t need to Eisa - you’ve said it so well, so briefly.

Thank you, Eisa.

James.

heartsong7
post Jun 2 05, 09:32
Post #10

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 70
Referred By:Merlin

hi Eisa (also know as Snow?)
Good to see your work here. This huitain  relays a poignant message in those 8 lines. beautiful use of the form in all respects.
Sue

·······IPB·······

Forgiveness is the fragrance
the violet sheds
on the heel
that has crushed it.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Jun 2 05, 09:32
Post #11

Hi Eisa, excuse me...

Ron, Hi...

The link you provided doesn't work for me - I suspect because I'm not a member of geocities? Or maybe just because I don't admit cookies from unknown sites. Anyway,

Anne Robinson - "Daily Mirror" (UK newspaper) journalist who began to appear on BBC tv. She was contracted to present the quiz show "The Weakest Link" - which was taken to America with her as quizmaster. Her "stock-in trade" is being grossly rude to contestents. When appearing on another BBC tv programme ("Room 101") she was very rude about the Welsh. It didn't bother me because (a) I have no interest in what she says (Can't stand her quiz programme) and (b) insults are only harmful if they have any force or reality behind them. So I suspect the web site you found was a spoof on Robinson.

Now,

Earlier this year, I published the words of the Welsh National Anthem - in Welsh and English - on MM. Here is the link:

Welsh National Anthem on MM

If you go to the following page there are two links to play the National Anthem. The Upper one is chorus only but the lower one is better and the full Anthem (Needs free QuickTime player - which most computers already have).

It is immediately above the sentence:

"Play Entire Song in Welsh; may take several minutes to download" (But takes almost no time on broadband).

Welsh National Anthem in audio

Thanks Eisa. Cheers, Ron. Hi Nina :)

Cheers, J.

Eisa
post Jun 2 05, 17:46
Post #12

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Praetorian
Member No.: 12
Referred By:Lori

QUOTE(Nina @ June 02 2005, 02:34)
Hi Eisa

A beautiful, poignant poem of loss, mingled with pride in your Welsh heritage, the legacy that your father has left you.  So much said in few words.  Very powerful.

Nina

Hi Nina  :wave:

I'm glad you found this powerful as I was not sure whether my feelings had truly been conveyed

Thanks for reading and commenting. cloud9.gif

Snow  :wizard:

·······IPB·······

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more details, click here!

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jun 2 05, 17:51
Post #13

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Alan @ June 02 2005, 03:10)
Dear Eisa,

This is indeed very beautiful, and well written too !

Welsh is one of the few bloods as far asI know I don't have, but those choirs get to me too !

Just wait til half of Jox sees this one ....

Love
Alan

Dear Alan

Thank you so much for your comments. I can't listen to a male voice choir without getting a lump in my throat and tingles up my spine. sings.gif

Love Snow  :sun:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jun 2 05, 17:59
Post #14

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cybele @ June 02 2005, 03:30)
Good morning Eisa, sun.gif

Lovely to see you here again. I have missed you!

Oh! How touchingly beautiful this is. Those male voice choirs are incredible aren't they? I think they could stir the coldest heart.

The is perfect as it is my friend.  

As Alan says, prepare for a l o n g read when James arrives. Make sure you are sitting comfortably before he begins! LOL.gif

Hello Grace

How good to see you. I do call in here at least twice a week but don't always log-in. Life is hectic, but  I'm gradually getting sorted.

Yes -- the male-voice choirs are really something. Their singing is so moving.

I shall make a cup of tea ready for James' reply -- I'll sit and sip. Jester.gif

Love Snow  :lovie:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jun 2 05, 18:39
Post #15

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Hi Ron

Nice to hear you have inherited some Welsh blood. The tune on the link you showed is certainly the Anthem of Wales, though a male-voice choir is more rousing and emotional. I didn't in fact know Ann Robinson was Welsh.
I have been trying to find a Malevoice choir singing this anthem on the  internet, but haven't searched every possibility yet. I have the CD at home that someone had taped to play at my father's funeral. I played if often after his death, when this poem was just trying to break free. A year later I've managed to get it written.

Thanks

Snow   sun.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jun 2 05, 19:06
Post #16

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Bore da James

I'm so glad this poem has the impact I intended. It has taken a year to materialise ( as did `Lover's Locket' and `The Bouquet' that I posted earlier) After my father died last year, I had so many things I wanted to write about (still do) but the words are only jus starting to flow. In time I think there will be more -- watch this space ha ha!!

The male-voice choir didn't actauly sing at my father's funeral, it was a recording that was played as we went into and came out of the crematorium. When I heard that choir singing it was awesome!! I felt such a mixture of sadness and pride. I'm afraid I still can't sing it all through without the tears swelling.

I'm glad you found that link of the Anthem for Ron -- being sung is far more rousing. As for Ann Robinson -- you've said it all.  :medusa:

Thanks again -- so glad you enjoyed this.

Snow  :sun:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Eisa
post Jun 2 05, 19:09
Post #17

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

QUOTE(heartsong7 @ June 02 2005, 10:32)
hi Eisa (also know as Snow?)
Good to see your work here. This huitain  relays a poignant message in those 8 lines. beautiful use of the form in all respects.
Sue

Hi Sue

Yes -- I was here at the start of this site. It's so good to see you here. I have missed you.
I really am quite taken with this form.

Snow

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Jun 3 05, 05:34
Post #18

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Hello Snow!  wave.gif

This is quite lovely!  sings.gif

So touching - filled with many emotional tunes - a joy to read on many levels!

I agree- so much in only 8 lines!

If I had to make any nits - I would say it would be for this line:

There's somthing in hte 'male-voice' that bumps slightly - no big deal of course.

If I could offer an alternate:

to hear the all-male choir sing ?

Lovely piece Snow!
~Cleo  :pharoah2

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Arnfinn
post Jun 3 05, 06:15
Post #19

Creative Chieftain
Group Icon

Group: Centurion
Member No.: 17

Hi Snow,

Patriotism--Ones love of ones country.

It touched a place I’d tried to hide,
that burial day. I almost cried
my homeland anthem’s rousing tide
of harmonies; I glowed with pride.
A year has passed; their timbre wrings
emotions still. This ancestry  
my father has bestowed on me.

The National Anthem the loss of a loved one a countryman closely related.

The opening line is true. Patriotism happens. A lot of times you don't know it exists.

Then at occasions like this. A surge from the soul, an unstoppable welling of tears in the eyes--proud tears, tears of belonging, an unmistakeable bond to someone you love and the country you love.

Your poem says it well.

John.

·······IPB·······

Arnfinn

MM Award Winner

jgdittier
post Jun 3 05, 07:30
Post #20

Creative Chieftain

Dear Snow,
Your poem not only captured my interest for its poetry, but you reminded me of my heritage.
I did hear The Welsh National Anthem played by a stringed instrument with organ background with a picture of Anne Robinson suggesting
she was singing it (pointed cloud from her mouth).
This morning I found it again at

http://www.imagesoft.net/flags/anthems.html

It is such a pleasant piece, far, far removed from ours which I believe
ranks with the biggest mistakes in world history.

However, I'd still like to hear The Welsh National Anthem sung by those male voices, so if anyone knows how to do that, I'd appreciate some guidence.
Thank you again for your poem. It's more to me than poetry.
Cheers,    jgd

·······IPB·······

Ron Jones

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 00:11

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: