Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

Christmas in Kalonwood

Unto all things, large and small, a little chaos must fall.

In the meadows of Kalonwood, winter had laced the landscape with idyllic ice and sugared dreams. The ponds of the Bronze Dragon shimmered, and reflections of Aurora lit a path to the waters of fire and ice. The elders, Kara and Diego, were waltzing to their own follies, and the scraping of metal on ice added to the majesty of seasonal sounds.

“What do you know about the event this year?” Kara poked at Diego’s red-dyed woolen sweater. “I seem to have forgotten the tune, but not the tranquility.”

Diego came to an abrupt stop, toe-picking his skate. “Hmm, I do not remember, my love.” He shrugged, steering her toward a nearby bench. “What is it we are supposed to do?”

“I know not.” She frowned. “Have you a copy of the Kalonwood Scroll in your pack? Surely, the event will be detailed?”

Diego thought for a moment, the light in his eyes growing brighter with each passing second. “Yes, I have one.” He lifted his beloved with ease toward the stars of Orion. “But we must journey there,” he pointed to the far end of the pond. “Our boots await!”

Kara shook the dusty snow off her pantlegs, freckling Diego with it and slipped on her boots. “Now, now Diego, save your strength for the - umm - what is it called again, this Kalonwood celebration? I wish I could remember!”

He pulled the scroll from his backpack, and as they read it, they soon realized their quandary. The 25th of December was missing! December the 24th was on Wednesday, and December 26th was on Thursday. “What happened to the 25th?”

“We must bring word of this chaos to our king and queen at once!” He rolled up the sacred scroll and tucked it back into his pack. “We must hurry! Gather the horses!” Diego exclaimed with a fearful inflection. “We haven’t time to spare!”

When the elders reached the town square, the Basilica was booming with shoppers, but something was vastly different. Their bags were filled with similar goods ~ scented firewood, chocolates, teas, coffees and baked goods.

Aphrodite and Eisa stood at the entrance to Cathy’s Annex and greeted their kinfolk. “Good day to you, kind Elders,” Aphrodite waved. “Why so troubled a look on this fine day?” She sensed chaos, rightly so.

Diego uttered something, but his words could not be found. The scroll developed a life of its own, unraveled itself, and fell out of his pack onto Eisa’s foot, of all the luck!

Eisa picked up the tattered parchment and smiled widely. “Ah, do you need a new scroll? We have plenty in stock,” she stated quite proudly. “We craft them right here you know. It’s our specialty.”

Aphrodite ushered the two inside. “Come inside and warm yourselves. Can I interest you in a cup of hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows while you sit by the fire? Our fire warms all.” She poked and prodded the cinders, and a few moments later, a blaze was born… again.

“Where are the scrolls? Please, I beg you, just find the scrolls!” Diego demanded.

What was not written could not be written, for all the scrolls in Kalonwood were missing the same day: December 25th. There would be no toys to play with, no bells to jingle, no laughter to share, no wrap to get tangled in, no mistletoe to hang, no reindeer to fly, and no Kris Kringle coming to town. There would be no manger, no angels, no wise men, and no infant boy to celebrate the Holiest Day, the birth of their savior. It was simply erased from the scrolls of Kalonwood.

“We must find Solon and Sidra at once,” Kara cried. “The 25th is missing! See for yourselves!” She passed the scrolls to all who had entered the store.

Even Zeus, on Mount Olympus, had heard of the commotion and ordered his guards to summon the Royals. Charon and Merlin saluted in Kalonwood fashion and took their leave. Along the town road, they met Praetorian guards Narcissus and Julius. They exchanged small talk and then hastily took different paths that lead to the same end, the castle of Kalonwood.

“We must reach the Royals by nightfall to save the spirit of all that was, of all that is, and all that must remain!” Merlin shouted as he bolted with his steed Apollo and vanished into the dawning blackness of night.

Amethyst was enchanting a dove with her cousin Nefertiti when the towering bells of the castle began to chime... and chime again repeatedly... for no known reason. “What chaos has befallen our kingdom this time,” she asked the dove. “Must they always ring those bloody bells so loudly?”

The dove replied, “It is the spirit of Christmas they seek, princess. It has been lost. The scrolls speak not of it.”

The dove was right! They had not been caroling, shopping, or decorating for Christmas! No one had! No one remembered… until now. Once the Royal family had been alerted to this chaos, Pandora was instructed to use her powers to re-write the scrolls of Kalonwood before the next sun of Ra traversed the horizon.

As a new day dawned in Kalonwood, the townspeople awoke, remembering the spirit that had been lost unto them. They sang carols. They gave to the less fortunate. They baked and drank merrily. They shopped. They decorated. They celebrated and brought tidings of joy to all they greeted.

As it was written, so it was done.

Unto all things, large and small, the giving spirit must enthrall.

Copyright © Lorraine M Kanter 19 Nov 2006

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Blank_Canvas
post Nov 19 06, 15:02
Post #2

Greek

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 15

I remember this one....used a lot of names from the membership roster. An inspired work. Entertaining and a reminder of what would be lost to us without the spirit of Christmas !
Marcia

·······IPB·······

"...We are born into the world like a blank canvas
and every person that crosses our path takes up the brush and makes their mark upon our surface.
So it is that we develop.
But we must realize there comes a day that we must take up the brush and finish the work. For only we can determine if we are to be just another painting or a masterpiece..."

1981 Javan (from the book " Meet Me Halfway" )

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 22 06, 06:14
Post #3

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Yep - this was from a few years ago Marcia - I did revise some of the member names, but most are still tucked nicely inside this ditty.... Reindeer.gif

The challenge was to write about 'the Missing 25th of December'.

My only wish is that this 'spirit' not be confined only to November & December, but that we carry it within us every day of the year. angel.gif Now THAT would be a blessing. sun.gif

Happy Holidays to you and yours Marcia!
~Cleo xmas.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Blank_Canvas
post Nov 22 06, 14:43
Post #4

Greek

Happy Holidays to you, as well.
Marcia

·······IPB·······

and every person that crosses our path takes up the brush and makes their mark upon our surface.
But we must realize there comes a day that we must take up the brush and finish the work. For only we can determine if we are to be just another painting or a masterpiece..."

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 29 06, 20:16
Post #5

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Congratulations! blueorn.gif

This submission has been nominated as a finalist in the Third Annual Mosaic Musings Holiday Classic!

Best of luck! holly.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Blank_Canvas
post Nov 30 06, 15:23
Post #6

Greek

Congratulations, Lori, on being named one of the finalists. This is a wonderful entry and so well written. I was glad to see you enter it in the competition. Best of luck !
Marcia

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Nov 30 06, 16:07
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks so much Marcia for the encouragement and cheering me on! cheer.gif

I still feel funny as I had always thought I should be 'ineligible'....

Happy Ho Ho Ho! stocking.gif
~Cleo xmaswindow.gif

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:44

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: