Post #1

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 2
Writer of: Poetry & Prose
Referred By:Imhotep

vic.gif Calling all writers of the Mosaic! Viking.gif

Beginning with the month of JANUARY 2005, we have begun a new monthly award designation: COM cheer.gif

The time has come to nominate a member who you feel best demonstrated the CRITIQUE in January.  :block:

sings.gif  hsdance.gif  MusicBand.gif  dance.gif  claps.gif

Nominate a member here by replying to this tile.

The award:
*New Laurel Wreath Award

*Graphic provided by
Celtic Castle Designs

The details:
[*]Choose at least TWO posts critiqued by the member you'd like to nominate from the month of JANUARY. *You can do this by utilizing our 'sort by topic start date' function located at the bottom of each forum's page display and then look to make sure the critique replies were made in Janaury as well.  detective.gif
[*]Post the two examples in this thread.
[*]Post only the CRITIQUES.
[*]Make sure your examples are from the month of JANUARY.
[*]State the tile's name, author and forum the critique was replied to.
[*]Eligible forums:
Hermia's Homilies, Seren's Synapse, Homer's Homilies & Socrate's Synapse for poetry COM nominations

Stonehenge and Loch Ness for Prose COM nominations

Nominations will be taken through March 1st, 2005.

Good luck all! king.gif  cheer.gif
Thank you for helping to build the Mosaic! lovie.gif  dance.gif

Mosaic Musings Staff  knight.gif cali.gif  Pharoah.gif  Viking.gif  tut.gif  troy.gif  vic.gif :roman: knight.gif

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 18 05, 10:24
Post #2

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

I'd like to nominate ALAN for COM in January.

My examples are:

From Psyche's tile, "A Poet's Voice" in the forum, "Hermia's Homilies":

Dear Psyche,

This is lovely, for me, much lovelier than the original. Its sentiment is fine, but somehow to sweetish, and I have rudely spoofed it, hers, not yours !

Coupla very minor points for you to chuck, or ....

I cannot stop the wind from blowing
Nor still the ocean tides;
A rose will bloom without my knowing
To adorn an Autumn bride;
Yet I can stretch a loving hand
To embrace a frightened child -- add comma at end of line
By greed its rights denied.

I cannot halt empires from growing -- stop would b eeasier to say here, and help the ba-dums !
Nor make the rich provide;
A war will rage without foreknowing
To scourge fair country sides; -- if you did "the countryside, perfect rhyme ?
Yet I can join the crescent throng -- don't know what you mean here
Refusing to abide
While innocents have died.

Let this be writ upon my tomb:
That I did not my eyes blindfold -- delete "that" ?
Nor close my eyes to doom, -- eyes twice, is there another word ?
But rather with a poet's voice
All shameful deeds retold. -- such rather than all ? - All is a tall order !

Love
Alan

From larrysgirl5548's "The Scrapbook Page" in Hermia's Homilies:

Dear Cathy,

As they all say, lovely, sad nostalgia, (almost) perfectly done.

I have one solution, and a - new - problem.

Solution :

Remembrances glow of moonlight,
as shadow'd chemise falls.
Silken threads of light thus shed
disrobed by breath of night.
The engulfing quiet sears ... - making this into a full sentence clarifies your intent, sears as a verb, biting into her thoughts, memories etc.

Problem :

All that remains
is this book they shared, -- for some reason I think "the" would be stronger ?
corners tattered and cracked with use.
*hiccoughs a sob*

- Here is where I stumble - perhaps a comma would clarify ? :
*hiccoughs, a sob*

She sets the beloved album aside -- She sets her beloved album down - her makes this really personal, and "down" has more sad finality ?

As alway, throw me out with the bathwater if I displease you, what you have here is already so strong, don't know if any of my suggestions add to what YOU are saying ....

I've just had another idea - your title, "The Faded Album" could be "FADING ALBUM", I think the "the" is unneccesary, and "fading" implies continued loss, decline, while "faded" signifies a completion of the process. Nit-picking, perhaps ?

Love
Alan

One more example from Nina's "Anger" also in Hermia's Homiles:

Dear Nina,

While this is such a common scenario, I trust that it is not too autobiographical.

The narrative is quite accurate, there are one or two places where a "the" or such could be replaced with a more descriptive word, or increase the impact of the picture :

You shout out with anger
Your words causing pain
The hate and the venom -- through hate and with venom ?
You attack me again

You use your frustration
And rage at the world
I become just a punchbag -- to make me a punchbag ?
For bitterness hurled

And then you feel better
At peace in your head
Full of regret         -- so full of regret ?
At the words that you’ve said -- del "the" ?

A hug and a kiss
You think will suffice
You can’t see I’m bleeding -- I'd use the last 2 lines first ? More impact ?
You never think twice

But the damage is done
I feel ripped apart
The fingers of hurt
Cut straight through my heart -- cut straight TO my heart -- much, if you'll forgive the expression, punchier with the short word here ?

Nina, this is powerful. Have a look at all my offerings, then toss them if you do not approve !

Love
Alan

I hope Alan will be considered for COM in January!
Good luck!

·······IPB·······

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Collaboration feeds innovation. In the spirit of workshopping, please revisit those threads you've critiqued to see if the author has incorporated your ideas, or requests further feedback from you. In addition, reciprocate with those who've responded to you in kind.

"I believe it is the act of remembrance, long after our bones have turned to dust, to be the true essence of an afterlife." ~ Lorraine M. Kanter

Nominate a poem for the InterBoard Poetry Competition by taking into careful consideration those poems you feel would best represent Mosaic Musings. For details, click into the IBPC nomination forum. Did that poem just captivate you? Nominate it for the Faery award today! If perfection of form allured your muse, propose the Crown Jewels award. For more information, click here!

"Worry looks around, Sorry looks back, Faith looks up." ~ Early detection can save your life.

MM Award Winner

Guest_Toumai_*
post Feb 18 05, 11:46
Post #3

Hi Cleo,

How is the winner to be decided if there are several nominations?

But I think Alan would indeed be a worthy first winner for the title. His crits are considerate, useful and - where appropriate - wonderfully amusing (and I'm not agreeing merely because we'll be dueting soon  :jester: )

Here is another of his contributions (Jox's poem "Beep" in Hermia's Homilies, 30th Jan)

Dear Jox,

Another only you could have written.

Beep.
I glided through a tunnel; -- simpler in present tense ? I glide thru ...?
remembering no beginning, -- I remember no beginning
when, how - would it end? -- when, how, if, it would end ? -- ?

Beep.
Speed: slow, deliberate.
No panic, nor stress... -- or, not nor. Also, no comma ?
except: I wish I were my pilot.

Beep.
Psychedelic Lighting - -- cap L on purpose ?
another mystery on
my surreal journey.

Beep.
The tunnel - purple-grey,
adorned with soft yellow rocks; -- strewn ?
a red brook ran along its base. -- running, surely ?

Beep.
Floating’s hypnotic effect -- Hypnotic effect of floating -- easier ?
relaxing; mental drift; though
continued forward motion...

-- Hypnotic effect of floating
-- relaxation; mental drift;
-- forward motion continues ...

Bang!    
I stopped. Rock wall:
blocked tunnel. Terminal.
Fell down into dry river bed.

-- Until BANG !
-- I stop. Rock wall,
-- blocked tunnel. Terminal.
-- Fall * into dry river bed. -- down redundant ? and PT again ?

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Jox, not at all sure what this is about, but I hope to have offered some easier solutions to the pics you paint ?

The only pic for the whole poem that keeps half-forming in my mind is a "wasted" sperm's journey ....

... but I'm sure you are writing about something else entirely.

Love
Alan

And my second example (from Psyche's "Leviathon" in Hermia's Homilies):

Dear Sylvia,

Wow.

Shockingly precise, and very sad. I hesitate to say "Well done", perhaps "Brilliant" would be better.

Just one Q :

And the poor were hardest hit,
but the laments that rose
from destroyed settlements and huts,
were like thin wisps of vapor
spiraling up in uneasy silence.

The structure you use here seems to expect a sequiteur after the "but", but I don't see one. This snagged my reading.

It could be simpler :

The poor were hardest hit,
their laments rising
from destroyed settlements and huts
like thin wisps of vapor
spiraling up in uneasy silence. -- I'd say "spiraling into an uneasy silence" ?

Feel free to ignore me !

Love
Alan

Guest__*
post Feb 18 05, 11:53
Post #4

Dear Lori,

OOOOOh - errrrrrrrr ! Wow !

But you are cheating, you used 3 examples !

Thanks for the nomination ! I.m thrilled.

And Fran, thank you as well.

Love
Alan (The critter from the black lagoon)

Guest_Jox_*
post Feb 18 05, 12:05
Post #5

I'm with Lori and Fran on this....

I won't even bother with examples; they are scattered throughout MM all the time.

Alan not only "gets around" (please take that the wrong way, Alan - I'll look forward to the poem!) but his crits are very often in-depth and well thought-out.

I know Alan puts many works on MM but if one looks at the work he puts into helping others, he must write miles more critting others (that is in virtual ink flow) than he ever offers his own works for crit.

As Fran says, there are many excellent critters on MM - which makes Alan's outstanding contribution especially remarkable. Who can honestly say they haven’t been touched by Alan since Crimble? I know I have. So, yes my nomination for critter of the month goes to Alan, too.

OK, this is becoming too nice, so I'm off to polish my lavender ferret. See you all.

Toodle Pip,

James.

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 18 05, 23:59
Post #6

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks for stopping by Fran, Alan and James!  :knight:

How is the winner to be decided if there are several nominations?

We will do a POLL of course as we do now with Pandora's Chaos and Member Choice nominations. I still need more feedback from our staff, but I am thinking that we would keep these 'nomination' threads open for at least 3 weeks. After that, I would create a poll and ask our members to vote. Any additional feedback is most welcome as I am all ears......

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 23 05, 06:26
Post #7

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Calling for more nominations please...

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Nina_*
post Feb 25 05, 17:54
Post #8

Hi Lori

I also think Alan would be a worthy winner for January.  Here are another couple of examples:

A response to Fran’s story – The Reluctant Poet (Stonehenge)

http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/cgi-bin....;t=3234

Dear Fran,

I sort of fell in to this one, seeing the word "poem" in the title, only a little in did I see what you were up to !

All very valid viewpoints, even if you have changes some of them) perhaps several times, since.

Just one Q :

They refuse to stand alone and magnificent.  -- does not seem to be quite a sentence ? Is the word "sre" missing ?

Love
Alan

or in response to Late Mr Perfect You by Jox in  Hermia’s
http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/cgi-bin....hl=alan

Dear Jox,

Aha, THERE you are.

OK OK, not FV, so rythmical.

Coupla Qs :

Statistically you should be -- must be ?
the fittest man in the UK.
You drink water; little tea
and exercise every day. -- exercising every ... ?

You swim, you run, you box; -- to make 8 syls you could add - also you box ?
You enter every marathon.
Fit as a fiddle; strong as an ox; -- del 2nd "an" ?
body built like The Parthenon. -- smoother : your body's like the P ... ?

Anythin yet appeal to you ?

Love
Alan

Cleo_Serapis
post Feb 25 05, 18:16
Post #9

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Thanks Nina!

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 1 05, 06:16
Post #10

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Any more nominations please? Today is the last day for JANUARY COM...  :guitar:

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Cleo_Serapis
post Mar 7 05, 17:46
Post #11

Mosaic Master
Group Icon

Congrats to Alan for winning the designation COM for Jan 2005! cheer.gif

See our announcement in this forum...

http://forums.mosaicmusings.net/cgi-bin....;t=3738

:)

·······IPB·······

MM Award Winner

Guest_Jox_*
post Mar 8 05, 05:20
Post #12

Well done Alan.

James.

Guest_Nina_*
post Mar 8 05, 07:20
Post #13

Congratulations Alan.  Your award is well deserved.

Nina

Aggiel
post Mar 8 05, 20:49
Post #14

Creative Chieftain

Group: Gold Member
Member No.: 80
Writer of: Poetry

Congratulations . Alan. A well deserved award.

claps.gif  :cheer:

Best

Aggiel

·······IPB·······

May all of us outrun any subsequent tsunamis.

MM Award Winner

Guest__*
post Mar 8 05, 20:50
Post #15

Dear All,

Thank you for your commnets.

I hope to continue to be a great a nuissance here as before ....

Love
Alan

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:33

Read our FLYERS - click below

Reference links provided to aid in fine-tuning your writings. ENJOY!

more Quotes
more Art Quotes
Dictionary.com ~ Thesaurus.com

Search:
for
Type in a word below to find its rhymes, synonyms, and more:

Word: